What's new

Solved Trinity dual NAND project, dead AceV3?

O

OldNice

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,

I'm in the progress of modding my Xbox 360 Slim Trinity, with x360 Ace V3 & Viper dual NAND. I have the ace chip soldered to the motherboard, but the ace v3 suddenly stopped doing anything. There are no lights anymore on the ace chip, red or green, and the console has a single solid red led when powered on.

I was mainly following this tutorial (MrMario2011):

These are the steps that lead up to this point:
1. I soldered pin headers to the NAND points.
2. I connected the (clone) J-r programmer to the motherboard, using the custom pin headers.
3. I updated my J-r programmer firmware with PICFLASH_E_1_0_5-JRP-V2.HEX
4. I read the NAND from the motherboard, which was successful. 2x reads, and they matched. I have backups of these.
5. I created the ECC & wrote the ECC successfully, for Trinity configuration, 17559 Dash & Glitch2.
6. I programmed the Ace v3 with the rgh2_tri_su_du_50_1.xsvf (S-RGH V2)
7. I soldered the X360 Ace V3 chip to the motherboard.
8. I tried to boot to Xell, but after a few tries, was unsuccessful at booting. The lights flickered (I assume successfully) on the ace chip, but it wouldn't boot after a couple of minutes per try.
9. I programmed the Ace with the different rgh2_tri_su_du_50_2.xsvf
10. I again tried to boot to Xell with the new xsvf, but now the ace chip does nothing. No lights, no boot, and xbox shows a single solid red light on the power.

I've tried reprogramming the Ace with the first xsvf, and others, but they do nothing. I removed the Ace chip and flashed to retail, and the Xbox boots successfully. I resoldered the Ace chip back, which doesn't help. I've checked and resoldered everything for the Ace, nothing. I changed the Ace D-point from C5R17 to FT42R , which did nothing. I've traced the wires from the motherboard to the ace chip with a multimeter, and there is continuity.

I can read & write the Xbox NAND, and I can reprogram the glitch chip, but the glitch chip has not responded since the initial attempt.

IMG_20191231_1437461.jpg
IMG_20191231_1438316.jpg
IMG_20191231_1440096.jpg
IMG_20191231_1441421.jpg

Am I doing something wrong, or has the Ace chip most likely been fried somehow? Is it unsafe to try and flash different timing files to a glitch chip, if you don't know exactly what you're doing?

M

MattMcki95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I’d try the 300mhz 60.6 .6 timing file with cr4 speed up (think that’s the right timing file you have to go through like 3 different folders) make new ECC with cr4 box checked

O

OldNice

Reaction score
Sin$
Get the secondary code and look a the list url
The secondary error code is 0010, "Cold solder joint under Southbridge". Since removing the glitch chip fixes this, we can probably rule out any actual Southbridge issues. Maybe a soldering issue on the glitch chip, but I've tried to fix every solder joint twice now, with the same results.

I’d try the 300mhz 60.6 .6 timing file with cr4 speed up (think that’s the right timing file you have to go through like 3 different folders) make new ECC with cr4 box checked
Slight suspicion that this is not going to wake the glitch chip, but I'll try this. ?

O

OldNice

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, I finally got it working. Not sure if it's reliable, but short testing hasn't failed, and Xell loads very reliably and efficiently.

For others debugging this issue, here's what I did:
  1. Resoldered every wire from glitch chip to motherboard, with plenty of flux
  2. Very thoroughly cleaned all the flux, using plenty of isopropyl alcohol, applying slight pressure with cotton swabs and a clean toothbrush. Afterwards, I dried and further cleaned everything with paper & cotton swabs, and a can of compressed air. Don't be afraid to carefully clean up the whole motherboard, to ensure nothing conducting is in a wrong place.
  3. Console would no longer show solid red light, but green instead. Ace chip would still not function in any way.
  4. With the power connected to the console, but not turned on, and with the J-r programmer turned on, I touched the ace chip programming ports with the J-r programming cable, which made the ace chip to sort of "jump start", and the red light turned on, and stayed on, with the console power connected. Removing the console power and reinserting now lit the ace chip red led, without any further jumpstarts.
  5. Powering the console on now made the ace chip briefly show the green led as well. Things were starting to look good!
  6. I once more rewrote the console NAND with the 17511 dash, with glitch2 and no CR4.
  7. I rewrote the glitch chip with the initially suggested rgh2_tri_su_du_50_1.xsvf
  8. Now booting up the console worked perfectly. Xell loads very fast, easily within 5 seconds on every boot.
I think the cleaning up of every last possible bit of the possibly conducting flux was the key, with the careful resolder further solidifying the connections. Jump starting the glitch chip also seems to have cleared any electrical issues within the chip. I'm not sure if this jump start is recommended, or electrically safe for the chip, but it worked for me.

Now I can continue with the rest of the process. Thanks for the effort in helping me, I really appreciate it!

Edit: For some reason, I am unable to edit the thread prefix to "Solved", but this thread can be considered solved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register