Treyarch on Hacking / Console Modding

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: WaW Modding' started by Se7enSins Bot, Aug 12, 2009 with 28 replies and 1,506 views.

1. Se7enSins Bot

Se7enSins Bot Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Our most recent TU addressed a number of issues that arose as a result of modders hacking their console and ultimately disrupting the online experience for everybody else.

In light of these recent events, I??d like to make something abundantly clear to the community: Treyarch has adopted a zero tolerance policy towards console hackers / modders. We are actively working with our console partners (Microsoft and Sony) to take action against all proven offenders, up to and including a complete ban from all of their online services. Our number one priority is to protect the experience of our online gaming community (most of you reading this message), and the efforts of console hackers / modders directly target the community in a negative way.

We understand that a primary motivation in hacking / modding is to bring something ??fresh?? or ??new?? to the game. That is why the PC platform has a full suite of Mapping / Modding tools, along with plenty of documentation to go along with it. If you are interested in the technical aspect of game modding, check out the PC version of CoD:WaW, where modding is legal, fully supported, and encouraged. There is a flourishing community of mod developers who have taken their curiosity and passion for modifying the released game and have turned it into a positive experience for their fellow gamers and enthusiasts. In fact, some of the very talented developers here at Treyarch were hired as a direct result of their productive PC modifications.

For those of you that are currently modding or are considering modding your console, this message should serve as a warning; for those of you looking to enjoy a safe and fun online experience, please be reassured by it ?? console hacking is illegal, and will not be tolerated. We are working hard to maintain a pure, fun online experience for upstanding players, and thank you for your ongoing support

More...

2. Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire Retired Admin 4 Life Retired

Ratings:
    Nice, Im all for modding, but not to ruin others experience, only to enhance it

• Like Like x 2
  3. XboxMySocks

XboxMySocks Getting There

Ratings:
  4. Unstock240

Unstock240 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I think I got banned maybe??? As soon as I sign into live, when WAW starts it disconnects me with no message whatsoever? nvm.. just some odd glitch for about 30 minutes.

5. integratedzero

integratedzero Premium Premium

Ratings:
    i just got console banned after glitching to round 269... good thing for a spare xbox

6. Mast3rrModder

Mast3rrModder Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Is glitching to a level in a nazi zombie mini game really a reason to console ban someone's xbox? C'mon Treyarch, you fail once more.

7. XboxMySocks

Ratings:
    Is it treyarch that hands out console bans? no.

8. OLine57

OLine57 ALL GAVE SOME. SOME GAVE ALL. 343

Ratings:

Yeah, I agree.

9. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Send $100k USD to my paypal for mods. Not joking. Administrator

Ratings:
    No, but they are working closely with those that do...as per the OP (MS and Sony).

10. kudos1111

kudos1111 Newbie

Ratings:

Ya, I dont see any problem with modding as long as its not to take advantage of all the people out there trying to play for real.
    If used to enhance the game and have fun with some friends online I dont see why there should be such a big hoopla about it!!

11. Mast3rrModder

Mast3rrModder Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Who do you think tells microsoft to give someone a console ban?

12. XboxMySocks

Ratings:
    Banning for breaking the EULA's and TOU's is a completely legitimate ban. Stop *****ing. End of story.

13. steez

steez Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The ban blocks the console, not just the XBL account?
    Is it based off an HWID or something?

14. XboxMySocks

Ratings:
    It literally bans the console's ID.

15. steez

steez Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Change the packets? :smile:
    Obviously easier said than done, but I'm sure there's some way to spoof. Maybe?
    I can't wait to look into these things.

16. XboxMySocks

Ratings:
    No. It's not possible to make your console a completely different console. It's been tried.

17. Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire Retired Admin 4 Life Retired

Ratings:
    Its possible lol, you just have to be able to run unsigned code lol

18. XboxMySocks

Ratings:
    Devkits dont get banned from XBL. I guess you were being sarcastic, but I can't tell :tongue:

19. Modified

Modified Getting There

Ratings:
    I can see how online console modding can disrupt other gamers' experiences, but in other cases I can see that modding is perfectly beneficial to other non-modders. Basically, you get two responses when someone detects that you have modded the game. You encounter the gamers that think you are the coolest person ever, and immediately sends you friend requests and such. Then you get the people who are completely fed up with modders, and files a complaint, talks trash, etc..

Personally, I feel that Treyarch has the right to ban modders for tampering with their game, and we as modders are going to have to accept that. I'm just really surprised that I haven't been banned for anything yet, for I mod every time I get the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Justin

Justin #mmNation

Ratings:
    Console ban for Nazi Zombie mods? LOL PWNED!