What's new

Discussion Three of Coins, useful or worthless?

• Thread starter Diprivan
  • Start date
  • Views 3,630
Diprivan

Diprivan

Yeah Bo'
Reaction score
Sin$
So with Xur coming tomorrow, before I buy more Three of Coins, I wanted to get others input. I have used several (Probably around 30) Three of Coins and I have gotten one exotic engram and that was on the Nightfall. Since the Three of Coins update, have you had much success with the three of coins? If so, how many do you use at a time, and does using more than one at a time give you any benefit?

Gods By Machine

Gods By Machine

Buried in Forgotten Grounds
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I have decent luck with them, except all I seem to get is repeat helmets and chest pieces. I only use one at a time, and on strikes that will have only one boss(not the Flayers, or Smash Bros). If I don't get an exotic, I will wait a full strike before using another Three of coins, depending on what strike it is. Maybe more luck the longer you stay in the strike playlist? We play a lot of the 36 level strikes.

Diprivan

Diprivan

Yeah Bo'
Reaction score
Sin$
I have decent luck with them, except all I seem to get is repeat helmets and chest pieces. I only use one at a time, and on strikes that will have only one boss(not the Flayers, or Smash Bros). If I don't get an exotic, I will wait a full strike before using another Three of coins, depending on what strike it is. Maybe more luck the longer you stay in the strike playlist? We play a lot of the 36 level strikes.
you think there is more of a chance for an exotic drop on the heroic strikes vs the level 36 strikes?

I think if there is a base percentage chance of an exotic drop then it would be higher on the heroic strike vs lvl 36 strike, then the 3 of coins would just add to that base percentage. just a guess though

Thir13enSins

Thir13enSins

Do What Thou Wilt
Reaction score
Sin$
I have used 40 over the week and have only got 4 engrams, 1 gauntlet, 2 chest and 1 secondary weapon. I will buy more once Xur arrives only because there are a few droppable weapons I'm missing.

Spyro

Spyro

4/18/10
VIP
Stickied Mythical Veteran End of the Year 2012
Reaction score
Sin$
You have a way better chance of getting an exotic using one verse not using one. Out of the entire game I've gotten 1 exotic drop since the DLC came out when I wasn't using a three of coins. I didn't even know it was possible without using one.

fathom7411

fathom7411

Hardened Veteran Frame In Gold Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I dont really use mine that much. I always forget to consume them. When I game with my cousin, it seems like he is always getting an exotic engram off of them.

Jack of Blades

Jack of Blades

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Very useful! I've only spent about 20 of them and just got my fourth exotic drop. It doesn't even matter what you get from the engram itself, because it's a guaranteed exotic.

I just use one as soon as I spawn in a strike, and usually do the Lvl 36 strikes so I can run through them. Usually, I won't use a Three of Coins in the first strike though, but I'm not too sure if that matters or not.

I'll be for sure grabbing around 50 Three of Coins tomorrow.

Diprivan

Diprivan

Yeah Bo'
Reaction score
Sin$
Very useful! I've only spent about 20 of them and just got my fourth exotic drop. It doesn't even matter what you get from the engram itself, because it's a guaranteed exotic.

I just use one as soon as I spawn in a strike, and usually do the Lvl 36 strikes so I can run through them. Usually, I won't use a Three of Coins in the first strike though, but I'm not too sure if that matters or not.

I'll be for sure grabbing around 50 Three of Coins tomorrow.
You always only use one at a time?

vSmasHx

vSmasHx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Im gonna grab as many as possible, having a decent luck with em. Before the patch I bought like 80 3oC and got like 20 exotic engrams or so. After the patch I bought about 100 of them, and maybe got 10 exotics out of them. Need to get some 310 exotics now as I am 308 light :smile:

LegendaryLSD

LegendaryLSD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So with Xur coming tomorrow, before I buy more Three of Coins, I wanted to get others input. I have used several (Probably around 30) Three of Coins and I have gotten one exotic engram and that was on the Nightfall. Since the Three of Coins update, have you had much success with the three of coins? If so, how many do you use at a time, and does using more than one at a time give you any benefit?

Useful. additionally, here's why they were implemented:

Reward extra game-time.

By playing more, you get more strange coins. Strange coins expedite the exotic-collecting process and can be cashed in for an immediate exotic, or delayed for additional future exotics at an increased rate (ToC). With ToC, players who played in the past will have a greater chance at collecting exotics - This reward system is based on play-time // strange coins attained.

I believe people have the wrong idea when they're looking to farm most things, and ToC is one of them.
-->Spend time farming Strange Coins (Don't tell me you enjoyed completing the same weeklies 3x every week)
-->Save time using Three of Coins (Yes! just saved time and instead of farming a loot cave...)
-->Spend time farming a boss (iSEE what you're doing now).
------> ALL for something you could have attained through standard gameplay. (Thanks, the update makes this clear).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Whaaaaaaat?

Durva

Durva

Professional Scrub
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I still have great luck with these. Last time I could play I popped a total of 18 of them and walked out with 7 exotics engrams. Not always this lucky but I usually go no more than 5 to 6 bosses before getting at least 1 engram

Diprivan

Diprivan

Yeah Bo'
Reaction score
Sin$
I still have great luck with these. Last time I could play I popped a total of 18 of them and walked out with 7 exotics engrams. Not always this lucky but I usually go no more than 5 to 6 bosses before getting at least 1 engram
Do you use it on the Level 36 strikes? Also, do you only use one 3 of coins at a time?

Durva

Durva

Professional Scrub
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you use it on the Level 36 strikes? Also, do you only use one 3 of coins at a time?
I only pop 1 at a time at the beginning of each strike and I run the 36 unless I have at least 1 friend in my fireteam. We can 2 man the heroics but trying to solo them is not worth the time and effort

M

MEAT RACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I still do the old farming method. I had 40 TOC and I got 5 exotic engrams. I also popped them one after another, no waiting.

MrMurder420

MrMurder420

Trailer Park Boy
Reaction score
Sin$
pop a single 3 of coins when in the "scourage of winter" mission, kill draksis and yourself, wait 5 to 10 minutes pop another coin and kill draksis again... if you cant handle the repetitiveness of this then do strikes, but draksis is hands down best method, don't tell me "its been patched!" lol, the rate is less when doing fast so spread it out. I don't have as much luck on strikes as I do with original method.

Diprivan

Diprivan

Yeah Bo'
Reaction score
Sin$
pop a single 3 of coins when in the "scourage of winter" mission, kill draksis and yourself, wait 5 to 10 minutes pop another coin and kill draksis again... if you cant handle the repetitiveness of this then do strikes, but draksis is hands down best method, don't tell me "its been patched!" lol, the rate is less when doing fast so spread it out. I don't have as much luck on strikes as I do with original method.
I'll try this today when I get home!

soberinsac

soberinsac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I did this same thing lol. My buddy said they gixxed it but nawww. I just sat for five min. Like you did, that's how I got my telesto recently the rest was just duplicates

Last edited:
KILZ117

KILZ117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I used 20ish last week and got 5 from draksis and they were good ones but today I only did draksis 1 and got monte carlo from my engram so yeah BUY THEM it is so helpful.

Night

Night

Retired Unofficial Article Riter
Reaction score
Sin$
I spent five today and got the invective and 4th horse ( from the valus tar'aug strike at the same time) and the telesto (from the dark blade)

Top Bottom
Login
Register