The Wal-Mart Swap

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by eighteesix, Feb 15, 2009 with 78 replies and 13,725 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    So my xbox video card is dead (i think). I can either force RROD with a towel or I can do the wal-mart swap.

If i do the wal mart swap, should I swap the serial numbers or should I just swap out the insides? (and are there tutorials for either)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. MINICHIMP 3

MINICHIMP 3 Getting There

Ratings:
    You would probably need to swap serial numbers to, at least i would imagine. How ever i recommend you force rrod and send it to M$.

3. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well I wouldnt need to swap the insides AND the serial number. If i swap out the insides then the correct serial number goes back to walmart with my bad parts while I keep my case with the new xbox inside.

i bought my 360 when they were initially released and i dont think its covered under the 3 year warranty anymore... or maybe it is. but i also want the newer falcon chip! plus i want HDMI cables, not the component.

so can anyone else confirm if i should swap serial numbers or the insides?

4. MINICHIMP 3

Ratings:
    Oh yeah you don't need to do both...i must of had a brain fart while reading that...lol. You just need to swap cases.

But what you should do is call up M$ and tell them you got rrod and give them your serial number and if its still under warranty they will send you a box, then you can force rrod and send it in. If its not under warranty they will tell you that you can still send it in but you will have to pay them and at that point you can just hang up and do the wallmart swap.

5. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Also noting if you do send it in, you will get a 360 with the new Opus board (at least you should). Besides the fact that doing the Wal-Mart swap requires you to keep an intact warranty sticker. ALSO noting the fact that it is fraud and can get you into a lot of legal troubles if you go that route.

6. MINICHIMP 3

Ratings:
  7. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    wait i thought they just repaired it and sent it back?

they permanently give you a brand new xbox?

8. MINICHIMP 3

Ratings:
    Yeah they give you a new box. Most likely with a new board but they wont upgrade from component to HDMI like you wanted.

9. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    So how can I go about forcing RROD then?

The difference between HDMI and component cables isn't big so whatever. Keep it legal.

10. TerminatioN

TerminatioN AzzidReign loves GTA Retired

Ratings:
    To get RROD rap the box tightly in a thick towel and leave it on until you get RROD.

11. MINICHIMP 3

Ratings:
    ^ Yup.

Also if you have a heating pad you could put that on top of the towel to might make it go faster.

12. Noupoi

Noupoi Contributor

Ratings:
    Yeah, but as you have an launch Xbox, your case doesn't have a HDMI port, so I'm not sure if swapping it will work.

13. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yo so get this. i have had my xbox turned on, wrapped in a towel, then a blanket, then a hoodie, next to a fire place, for 4 straight hours, and i cant get three rings. i keep getting two after an auto shutdown. i restart it immediately every time and still cant get three rings.

suggestions?

14. darkFX

darkFX Contributor

Ratings:
    Get a new 360 for that New Xbox smell......

15. FaLCo

FaLCo Enthusiast

Ratings:

Have it actually running a disc. Heats up much faster...

16. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    will do

not changing anything... i dont think the disc is spinning anyways. but i stopped the fans and closed the vent. what else can i do?

17. Noupoi

Noupoi Contributor

Ratings:
    If its flashed, try it while it's running the PGR3 Stress Test Disk.

18. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    its not flashed. also, i cant get it to run a disk (disk not set to run on insert). id have to navigate to the disc in NXE but i cant see anything cause my video card is ****ed

19. MINICHIMP 3

Ratings:
    OFFLINE: start up console , put in the disk and hit "A"

ONLINE: start up console, put in the disk and press "up" once then press "A"

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

20. OP
    eighteesix

eighteesix Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yeah ive done that, and i cant ever hear the disk spin up. dammit why wont this bastard overheat

as soon as i get it really hot it continually shuts itself down so quickly... its like i cant get it hot enough (even right in front of a fireplace)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.