The NXE and CON Resigning.

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Modding' started by Scar, Nov 16, 2008 with 84 replies and 12,841 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scar

Scar Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I have seen way too many threads on this so i though i would make ONE informative post.

MS has banned all public keypairs (KV.bin) so files resigned with them WILL show up as corrupt, they have NOT done anything else to prevent CON resigning.
    The fix: Get your own private keyvault and dont give it to anyone.
    Or: have 2 xboxes, have one updated with the NXE and another without as an offline box. load your resigned file on the offline 360 and re-save it in game. doing this puts your own keypair on the save, making it not be corrupt in the NXE.

A keypair is a series of numbers (keys) used to calculate a signature. each 360 has a unique set of numbers. So all MS has to do is ban the public ones to make all files resigned with them show up as corrupt.

To get your keypair you need either a launch console that has never been connected to LIVE with a dash version 4548 or lower. OR an Infectus 2 modchip to downgrade to that dash version. either way, it is not easy,So I will not go into more detail on how to do this here.

If i see any more threads on this they will be locked.

• Like Like x 7
  2. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    add this in as quotes or whatever

people seem to think that the whole xbox gets corrupted or that all mods are corrupted
    false, only ones that have been signed by the public key pairs, if you change something like a name or resave it or download it or whatever, it REsigns it with YOUR (unbanned) key pair so that in return makes them work
    if you resign something with the banned key pair, that and only that save will be corrupted, not your whole xbox unless a save is signed with a banned key pair

3. ForrrestMaster

ForrrestMaster Guest

Ratings:
    Thank God. So many people asking the same damn question...

4. Eaton

Eaton Contributor

Ratings:
    Sad, yet true. I don't do much CON modding so I don't care too much.

5. gabe_k

gabe_k Enthusiast

Ratings:
    This may seem like a stupid question, but I'd like to know before I spend $100 on an infectus. I have a launch console, and I have NXE. I can still downgrade, correct? None of the updates can stop that?

6. pivotclips13

pivotclips13 Banned

Ratings:
    How are we exactly going to get a private key vault? Explain that 'cause I am confused!

7. Eaton

Eaton Contributor

Ratings:
    Do the King Kong exploit to dump your NAND, and extract your KV.bin from it. (Your Keyvault) Refer to Xbox-Scene for more information.

8. Halodu2de

Halodu2de Newbie

Ratings:
    if i have a private KV and i want to mod with NXE is it possible for M$ to ban the keyvault if i use it online or if i resign with it and give the mods to someone else and they play it online?

9. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    not only is the infectus a b*tch to install but you need an old xbox that hasnt hit live

10. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    I thought that as long as you have BK 1888 you can timing attack it? Considering alot of the people who deal with it say you cant use it on later hardware revisions, it should work on a launch console. I know it still works with the current dash, Ive talked to a guy who writes the current dash when he wants to play new games and writes the exploitable one when he wants to deal with unsigned code.

11. Holy Ownage

Holy Ownage Getting There

Ratings:
    Its swapping them that supposedly is the dodgy part.
    Its repetitive and annoying, and this eases the process.

Plus its easy installation, so it seems like a win.

EDIT: Nvm what I said.
    Mistakened this tab for the recent 360 ModChip.

12. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    well im not to sure entirely on this subject so id go with eazy lulz <3

13. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    If someone from Microsoft gets their hands on a file signed by that KV, they will probably ban it.

14. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    @ EazyB: yes, as long as BK is at v.1888 the timing attack is still possible (did a few searches). All hardware revisions after the Xenon are patched against the timing attack if i remember correctly.

@ Halo2dude: they can ban it easily. If they got their hands on the file, then they could just ban it that way, OR if they have enough reason to, they can simply get the key that is used on whatever modded file you have from the 360 itself.

15. Halodu2de

Halodu2de Newbie

Ratings:
    do they have the ability to ban it or is it just a good chance they do?

16. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Microsoft can ban any KV they want if they have reason enough to do so.

17. Halodu2de

Halodu2de Newbie

Ratings:
    is it automatic? And has it been proved they do?

18. ddxcb

ddxcb Contributor

Ratings:
    from what that i herd dont blow the E-Fuse or u cant extract the info to make the kv. :wink:

19. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    No, they have to ban it themselves, and it will come to you in some sort of update.

They've banned several keyvaults already.

20. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    With the newest version, they can now update your console at will silently. AKA if they have more keyvaults to ban, next time you connect to live, it'll just download that updated list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.