The NEW Ultimate iPod Touch Hack Thread

Discussion in 'iOS Archive' started by OwnedTom, Jan 10, 2009 with 15 replies and 3,716 views.

1. OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
    I noticed that The Ultimate Ipod guide was out of date so i decided to post my own!
    iPod Touch + iPhone Jailbreak Guide For 2.2

Note that you are pwning your iPhone at your own risk Success is not guaranteed!
    1. Create a folder called QuickPwn on your desktop. Download a copy of your iPhone 2.2 firmware from [Click here to view the link]. Also download QuickPwn 2.2 from [Click here to view the link], and the [Click here to view the link] file. Place all these files in the newly created QuickPwn folder on your desktop.
    2. Unzip QuickPwn.
    3. Make sure you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes. If you have to update to the latest version of iTunes, I highly recommend you restart your computer after the update. Not restarting my computer after updating iTunes caused me trouble in the past
    4. Plug your iPhone and make sure iTunes has detected it. If youre iPhone is already jailbroken, you may want to remove all the apps that you have downloaded from Cydia. Certain applications such as Winterboard, Categories and more cause trouble. You will be able to reinstall them later. As an alternative solution, you may want to read by post about [Click here to view the link] without using AptBackup, which saves your Cydia apps settings. Update or restore your iPhone to firmware 2.2 using iTunes. Restore is preferred as it wont create any wasted space on your iPhone.
    5. Right after restoring your iPhone, launch QuickPwn. It should recognize your device automatically.

6. You will be asked to select your iPhone firmware. Select the firmware you downloaded in Step 1.

7. If the firmware you selected is valid, QuickPwn will show a green checkmark. Click Continue.

8. You will then have the opportunity to select Cydia,Installer, and custom boot logos. You have to at least select Cydia. You may also choose to install Installer .and check to BootLogos box if you want to replace your boot logo. Click Next.

9. QuickPwn will now ask you to confirm that your iPhone is connected. Click the blue arrow to continue.

10. QuickPwn will now automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode. Once its in recovery mode you will be prompted to: Hold the Home button for 5 seconds, Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds, then release the Power button and continuing holding the Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode. Watch the prompts carefully and follow along.

11. Once QuickPwn detects your iPhone in DFU mode, it will start the jailbreak process.

12. Finally, QuickPwn will let you know that pwnage process was completed successfully.

13. Done!

How To Patch The Mobileinstallation file (allows you to run cracked apps!)

Direct method:
    1) Download the cracked game/app and extract the ApplicationName.app folder to your desktop.
    2) Copy ApplicationName.app into /Applications via SSH or SFTP and set it's permissions to 755 (chmod 755 ApplicationName.app )
    3) Create a folder called Documents in /var/mobile/ and set permissions to 777. (*only needs to be done once)
    4) Reboot your iPhone

iTunes method:
    This requires replacing a framework file on your iPhone first, but then makes the installation of apps very easy (double click on the mac/pc):
    How to install Cracked IPA's:
    1) Using SSH, navigate to: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework/"
    2) Backup the file "MobileInstallation"
    3) Download this patched file -
    [Click here to view the link] - (2.0.x)
    [Click here to view the link] - (2.1)
    [Click here to view the link] - (2.2)
    4) Copy the patched file over to "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework/" set permissions to 755
    5) Reboot your iPhone
    To install the cracked .ipa apps, simply double click them and sync them with your iPhone!

How To SSH (Modify files on your iPod through your computer)

What is SSH?

SSH is a secure way of transferring information (including files) between computers on a network. SFTP is a secure way of transferring files which, despite the name, has little in common with FTP.
    (Definition taken from [Click here to view the link]

Basically, i'll be posting my reply based on Windows System and not MAC, cause i don't own one. The MAC Equivalent is Cyberduck or Fugu.

What is WinSCP?

WinSCP (Windows Secure copy) is an [Click here to view the link] [Click here to view the link] and [Click here to view the link] client for [Click here to view the link]. Its main function is secure file transfer between a local and a [Click here to view the link]. Beyond this, WinSCP offers basic [Click here to view the link] functionality. For secure transfers, it uses Secure Shell ([Click here to view the link]) and supports the legacy [Click here to view the link] protocol in addition to SFTP.
    (Definition taken from [Click here to view the link])

Basically, the interface is like windows explorer whereby on the left panel, it's the directories you have on the iPhone, on the right are the files available in the parent/sub directories. Looks something like the picture below

Click this bar to view the full image.

How do you do a login to your iPhone with WinSCP
    • Have WinSCP installed
    • Make sure you have OpenSSH installed from Cydia
    • On Wifi, and let your iPhone connect to your house's Wifi Connection
    • You will be able to trace out the Ip that your iPhone is on, it looks something like this below
    Click this bar to view the full image.

• Once done, open winSCP, you will have a login screen like the one u see below
    • Key in the phone's ip into the "Host Name" Field
    • Port No remains as 22
    • User name is root ... password is alpine
    • Once done, click login and give it a while ... once it login successfully, you should see something like the FIRST picture i've posted up.
    Tips And Tricks

1) Get URL Hints

In Safari, you can press and hold any links in order to see the URL and site name of the link.

2) Dismiss Keyboard Suggested Word

To dismiss the keyboard suggested spelling of a word, you can tap on anywhere of the screen. You do not have to press x button at the end of the word.
    3) Scroll to the Top of the Page

When you are using iPhone applications, you can automatically scroll to the top of the page by tapping on the top bar, which has the time, service bars and the battery information. In Safari, this will also brings up the URL address bar as well.

4) Different Domain Suffix

Hold down the .com button, you can see a popup comes up with .net, .edu and .org buttons. Slide your finger from them and then release your finger to choose.
    5) Domain Resolution

When typing a URL in Safari, you dont have to type the www or the .com. For exmaple, you can type iPhoneToolbox in the URL box in order to view iPhoneToolbox.com.

6) Take Screenshots Anytime

You can take any screenshots at anytime easily on your iPhone. First of all, press and hold the Home button and then click the Sleep button once. The screen will flash white and the screenshot will be stored in your camera roll immediately.
    7) Save Images in Safari

When you are browsing any web pages on Safari. You simply touch the image and hold your finger until a menu show up, select Save Image.The downloaded image is located under your Photo / Camera Roll.

8 ) Inserting a Period

When you are typing on you iPhone, simply double tapping the Space Bar button at the end of a sentence, it will automatically insert a period followed by a space. It saves you a lot of time instead of pressing 124″ to get the numbers and symbols page where the period located in.
    9) Alternative Way to Navigate Screens

You can tab the bottom right or left corner to switch between different screens instead of swiping your finger across the screen.
    10) Alternate Characters

Hold down a letter on the keyboard, you can see popup comes up with various versions of the character.

11) Move Dock Icons

Just press and hold any icons on the screen, then drag them while they are shaking. You can put any 4 icons on your dock (grey bar at the bottom of your iPhone).

12) Fit-to-page Column, word and Picture

When browsing web pages on Safari, you can double tap on a column, word or picture to fit its width to your iPhones screen.
    13) Select Icon for Bookmarked Webpage

When you are browsing a web page on Safari and add its icon to your home screen by pressing the + button and select Add to Home Screen. The icon is a screenshot of the page you were on. You can have a different icon by zooming in a particular item on the page. It can be the websites logo or any picture.

14) Scrolling with Two Fingers

Some web pages contains separate text boxes with their own scroll bars. If you are trying to move around in one, you can scroll it with two fingers instead of one. That will let you scroll just inside the box and not affect the position of the entire page.
    15) Maximize Battery Life

There is a separate sensor situated right above the earpiece, that detects ambient light. The iPhone uses this sensor only once per session, just as you unlock the handset. But if you cover the sensor as you unlock the phone, you will trikc the handset into thinking its in a dark room, and it will power down the screen brightness. You can Also turn off Bluetooth and WiFi if you dont expect to use them for a while. You can also set email fetch time to Hourly or Manually, and turn the Push off in order to save energy.
    16) Reset Your iPhone

Press and hold the Home Button and the Sleep Button to Reset your iPhone. A white light will flash, the screen will shut off and then turn back on. Please keep holding both buttons until the screen turns back on.
    17) Insert Punctuation Quickly

To enter any punctuations while using iPhone keyboard, you can press and hold the 123″ button and slide your finger over to any punctuation button. And then the punctuation will be inserted after you have released the button.
    18) Get a Bigger Keyboard

When you are using the on-screen keyboard on Safari, you can rotate the iPhone horizontally before tapping on the address bar, the Safari window will switch to horizontal mode. Now you can have a much larger keyboard, making data entry a little easier.

19) Changing iPod Icons

By the default, the buttons at the bottom of the iPod scren are Playlists, Artists, Songs, Videos, and More. You can change them by pressing the More button, and then tap on the Edit button in the upper left corner. A Configure screen will appear with icons for Albums, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Genres, Composers, Compilations, Playlists, Artists, Songs, and Videos. To substitute one of these icons for one that appears at the bottom of the iPod screen, just tap and hold on the icon you prefer and drag it over the icon you want to replace. Tap on Done when youre finished.

20) Make a Call from Safari

If you find any phone numbers in Safari you would like to call, you do not need to jump to the phone component. Just tap on the number, and the iPhone will dial it for you immediately.

iPhone 3G Unlock

Step One
    Press to launch Cydia Installer from your SpringBoard.

Step Two
    Press to select the Manage tab at the bottom of the screen.

Step Three
    Press to select the large Sources button

Step Four
    Press the Edit button at the top right of the screen.

Step Five
    Press the Add button at the top left of the screen.

Step Six
    Enter [Click here to view the link] as the source url and press the Add Source button.

Step Seven
    Once the source has been added press the large Return to Cydia button.

Step Eight
    Press the Done button at the top right of the screen.

Step Nine
    Press to select apt9.yellowsn0w.com from the list of user entered sources.

Step Ten
    Press to select yellowsn0w from the list of packages

Step Eleven
    Press the Install button at the top right of the screen.

Step Twelve
    Press the Confirm button at the top right of the screen.

Step Thirteen
    After installation completes successfully press the large Return to Cydia button.

Step Fourteen
    Now press the Home button then power off and power on the iPhone. You do this by holding down the power button for 3 seconds then moving the power slider that appears to the right. Press the power button again to turn on the phone.

Step Fifteen
    You should now be able to insert the SIM of your choice!

Thanks to:
    [Click here to view the link]
    www.noeman.org/gsm/iphone-ipod-touch-zone/56425-installing-app-ipa-apps-iphone.html
    www.iphonej00.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/iphone-ssh-guide/
    [Click here to view the link]

• Like Like x 1
  2. CaSh

CaSh Banned

Ratings:
    This junks ain't work for me when i tried to hack my iTouch 2.2 I downloaded the firmware the tut said but the Quickpwn said the firmware didn't match my hardware, then it told me which is the correct one and it was the same 1 i downloaded...

3. OP
    OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
    you might have the 1st gen ipod touchfirmware or iphone one

4. CaSh

CaSh Banned

Ratings:
    I definitely have the 2.2 iPod Touch firmware.

Which should I download, because all I see if iPhone firmware.

5. Vi3TxDr34m5

Vi3TxDr34m5 Newbie

Ratings:
    Where's the ipod Touch 2.2firmware download at :?

6. OP
    OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
  7. punkskater2448

punkskater2448 Taking Over The World Retired

Ratings:
    Nice copy and paste. I love how people will copy and paste then call it theirs, but then they will give credit at the bottom to the places they took it from.

This tut is very hard to follow. There is to much junk just thrown in there. I suggest you take time and write one your self, who knows it could be the best tut out there. Just take a look at my rapid fire thread for example.

8. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    The first time he posted it he didn't even credit it until I reported his thread for stealing it. Now he wants to be nominated for totm, which won't happen since it's not even his tutorial. He was taking credit for it before he got caught. It's not too bad of a tut, it's just a stolen tut.

9. OP
    OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
    ok im sorry i'll try to rewrite it

10. LFCGirl

LFCGirl Contributor

Ratings:
    I'm assuming this does NOT work for iPod Touch w/ speakers?

Because there is no big announcement? Or am I wrong?

11. G3tM0n3y0rD13

G3tM0n3y0rD13 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    i downloaded the ipod 2nd generation 2.2 firmware from the mydigitallife website. then i did the step with quickpwn but it always closes on me wen its hashing !!! wat is the problem? thx !

12. Destiny

Destiny #ZxathCheated #NeverForget Retired

Ratings:
    there is no way to jailbreak the 2nd Gen iPod Touch yet. this guy is trying to **** up your iPods.

13. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    At no point did he say to do it on a 2nd gen. Your retarded if you try.

14. OP
    OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
    yeh thanks forgotten dynasty

15. Destiny

Destiny #ZxathCheated #NeverForget Retired

Ratings:
    sorry i must have been looking on a different thread and not remembered what one it was. sorry once again

16. OP
    OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
    dw and anyway at no point did I say that ihad wrote this tutorial!