• Views 2,278
Squarees

Squarees

Man of the year
Reaction score
Sin$
TheForest_Logo.jpg

Welcome To The Forest Hub
The Forest Hub is dedicated to this amazing game i thought Se7enSins might as well
have its very own little forest thread. were all updates screenshots Help support and survival tips will lye.

What Is (The Forest)
if your not sure what the forest is. The Forest is an open world survival horror game. Were you can
Chop down trees to build a camp, or start a fire to keep warm. Scavenge food to keep yourself from starving. Find and plant seeds to grow food. Enter a living, breathing forest with changing weather patterns, plants that grow and die. Tides that roll in and out with the day/night cycle. Below ground explore a vast network of caves and underground lakes. Defend yourself against a clan of genetic mutant enemies that have beliefs, families and morals and that appear almost human.

Info
Check out the forest website for more details on the game it retails on steam for about $14.99 so its worth investing in. keep in mind that this game is in alpha so the game is not yet at its full forum later on the game will turn in to a full story game brighter colors more to do and build and even multiplayer and co-op

Future of this thread
I hope for this thread to become more active as the game processes on to mulitplayer were PC gamers on 7sins can party up and play but for now we can only chat and prepare our self's for the future of the Forest so Feel welcome to add me on Steam ArmoryV to enjoy the game with me.

Thread Updates To Come

This Thread Will Be Kept Updated side by side with the forest and survival tips and and Cool screenshots will be shared on this thread so feel welcome to post any of your screen shots below.
any party up request on another games inbox me thanks

Updates

Features/improvements:
  • No enemies mode! Type “veganmode” on title screen to activate (without the “”)
  • Player head added! And held items now correctly cast shadows
  • New suprise item added to plane
  • Yacht location is now random
  • Bats now correctly fly out of cave entrances
  • Partially built structures are now saved
  • Fixed water not accumulating on terrain when raining
  • Cassette player can now be turned off by clicking it a second time if it’s already playing
  • Log Cabin now has a floor, a door with hinge and a sleeping/saving spot
  • Birds will now land on window ledge of your built log cabin
  • Molotov will extinguish if in contact with water
  • Improved sunset/sunrise lighting
  • Two new effigies buildable, simple head on stick and arms pointing to sky
  • House boat buildable (Warning : buggy!! – especially with sharks. Also, may sink)
  • Stick marker added to custom building, quickly build yourself waypoints
  • Coral and seaweed added under water (rough)
  • New buildable item : Stick holder
  • Inventory can now carry 1 additional stick (to make shelter construction easier)
  • Small texture tweaks/improvements
  • Shadow distance increased for High and mid settings
  • Improved motion blur on held items
  • Hanging rope pick ups added to deep in caves
  • New cave lighting prop: Laptop
  • 11 new filmic inspired grade options added to graphic options menu
  • Bench now buildable via book section ‘Furniture’
  • Single bat prefab added to parts of caves
  • Improved lilypad pop-in
  • Med pickups now go direct to inventory instead of being eaten on pickup
Sounds:
  • Improved cannibal village track implementation
  • ‘Lake’ track added to Geese Lake
  • Bash pass at all ambient sound implementation, better transitions, better positioning, fall off and ranges
  • Thunder and rain sounds randomized
  • Cave audio pass, adding reverb and echo, better balancing
  • Underwater sound filter added
  • Water footsteps sounds now play when you walk into water
Performance:
  • More memory optimizations should improve stability
  • Lowered memory usage further if 32bit windows is detected, should fix crash on opening if less than 4gbs of usable memory is available (note: 4gb usable is still recommended)
Bugs:
  • Head no longer pokes through collision!
  • Fixed some items missing from inventory when game was loaded
  • Fixed collision where you could wall walk out of plane
  • Fixed can’t carry more raw fish message that would appear when you had too many rocks.
  • Fixed pond covered in logs
  • Fixed left hand held conflicts between lighter, torch walkman etc
  • Removed gleam on inventory coins and flares
  • Fixed floating garden
  • Fixed leaf vertex colors on small leaf hut
  • Fixed flare gun falling through yacht
  • Fixed log going to -1 if you died whilst holding a log
  • Fixed small effigy construction shader being too faint
  • Removed grass cutting from opening inventory (was causing crashes on some pc’s)
Extreme cannibal survival .101
To survive in the forest one must consider multiple aspects, these aspects consist of:
Food, Shelter, Defences and supplies. Survival in the forest is harder then it other games because of its realistic health and stamina system as well as the extreme amount of damage one must inflict to sucessfully kill any type of hostile mutant.

Before starting to play though I would highly reccomend that you install a user created patch for the game known as the "no more birds" patch which most importantly fixes the inventory save bug (anything significant will become "invisible" and non-interactive).

To install this patch simply google it and follow the instructions provided by the page. Once you are in game simply press "j" and tadaa! Your inventory will now save correctly.

Next up is spawning in.
Spawning in
When you first spawn inside the game you will see a video also known as the "timmy taken" scene where the plane crashes and the child next to you aka "timmy" who is presumed to be your child seeing as he is hugging your arm, is kidnapped after the plane crash by what may very well be the alpha leader of the cannibals because he is the only male with genitals.........

(When the clip finishes, you will wake up in the plane wreck)

What to do when you spawn in the plane is simple, gather as much gear as you can (most importantly the plane axe) and make a run for it. Don't drink any of the sodas that you gather though, you will need them later in the game. It is commonly known that after you start the game a scouting party of cannibals will reach the plane in 10-15 min, this does not always happen but it does most of the time.

Near the plane (not inside) will also be suitcases, break them with your new and recently aqquired plane axe to find usefull loot like: cloth, booze, pills etc. Make it quick though because of the above mentioned scouting party.

One last thing to add is that if you go all the way to the back of the plane you will see a flashlight in a plastic wall-mount, it is in the current version 0.02 not possible to take the flashlight.
Navigating
Even knowing that navigating in the forest can be quite hard (seeing as you currently have no map) it can be of extreme importance when it comes to finding a spot to set up camp.

The easiest way to navigate is to go to the beach and use a user created map to find your bearings. Here we will be using a map created by doctor denist (many thanks by the way) which is shown down below here.

This map shows all kind of usefull info that ranges from landmarks to basecamps and is by my opinion the best one I have seen to date. The map also shows an ideal base location which is very usefull when starting.

However if you wish to build your own place in a custom spot there are a few things that you will have to consider before spending all those hours of labor and precious resources on a giant main basecamp only to find out that there is no food in a range of 5 kilometers.

• Make sure there are no cannibal camps or caves nearby (exept if you want full blown war....)
  • Make sure that there is a replenishable food cource nearby
  • Make sure the area is easily deffendable
  • Choose a location that is well hidden

If you follow these set of rulles you will be perfectly fine. It is possible to build in more high-risk, more patrolled areas. For instance my entire basecamp is built up against the cliff north of the sailboat, however I would not reccomend this if you are just getting started.
Setting up basecamp
So let's say you have found the perfect spot to create your over-complex extreme super fortress of violent murder and cassete raves.

Then comes the next part which is not only time consuming, but also unforgiving seeing as that the only way to remove placed blueprints is to reload the ENTIRE game which takes up loads of time and is mega super frustrating.

That is also why I would reccomend to plan out your endgame base carefully before building anything, perhaps even watch a couple of youtubers walktroughs of the forest and see their designs.

When it comes to designs there are a few things to bear in mind, for instance the fact that walls with a door don't actually have a door and cannibals can just walk straight trought them. If you don't want any cannibals in your base I would highly recomend building a system with stairs and platforms seeing as mutants can't walk stairs (YET)

As an example in this guide I will use my current base which has 2 defense perimeters. One that is completely secure (living sector) and one that is semi secure ("the jard") we wil start of with the living sector.

(living sector of my current camp)

One of the mistakes I made here was that I've built on ground that wasn't flat, while as you see it is possible, the results are not ideal. Especially with things like the log cabin.

On the other hand one of the good things I did here was make use of natural terrain features (the cliff) as well as choosing a location that is easy to defend.

Next up is "the jard"

I've built this part of my own base after I had built the living sector, I tried to improve upon my mistakes that I made before and try out some new concepts in architecture.

As you see there also is a platform which can be used to snipe cannibals with flares, molotovs and bombs.

(standing on top of the platform)

The nice thing about "the jard" is that it is made on flat ground which not only makes it look nicer but also makes it less glitchy. When it comes to the entrance there are 2 side entrances of which one is rigged with a trap and the other is only accesible by me.

Also there is an infinite food supply inside the base seeing as it was possible to create a secure and mutant proof fishing dock.

So to line it up I am going to give a summary of the good and bad aspects of my base.
  • + Great food supply
  • + Good use of surrounding terrain features
  • + Great defences
  • - uneven terrain
  • - There is a weard cliffside patrol that sometimes spot you if you're in the yard

Keep in mind that this is all an example though and that the only REAL way to find out if you're base works or not is sadly trough a long procces of trail and error.
The cannibals
Sadly you're never truly alone on the island, instead there are cannibalistic mutant tribes that will do their dandest to terrorize, hurt, and haunt you forever.
Sounds like fun doesn't it!

However these are not your basic game AI enemies that take just 2 hits to kill togehter with
super-uber predictable pathfinding mechanics. No these are creatures that dynamicly adapt to their surroundings and their threats; You!

Normally durring the daytime you will see them pattroling trough the woods and around the shorelines. They live in caves and some in primitive camps and have a weard voodoo like culture with their own gods and values (hell you can even find them praying somethimes!).

Once you get spotted by one or more mutants there are multiple factors that will determine if they will react aggresively or not, these factors consist of:

• Time of the day
  • Type of weather
  • Size of the mutant group
  • player showing "aggresive" behavior
  • Is the player wearing armor?
  • Is the player attacking other mutants?

Especially the last 3 can make a huge difference in most scenarios. But there isn't just advanced combat mechanics and besides their extremely high health and high damage there are other intressting things about the mutants.

For instance if a group attacks you and you manage to kill or severely injure one of them, they will try and drag them away from the battlefield and to safety. They also morn their dead using effigies which they also use to try and communicate with you. Also if you see a mutant running after you have killed one of them he is going to go and get reinforcements!!!
be wary of this.

So now lets look at the specific types of mutants and what it is that they do currently.

1. The regular mutant
They look the most human of all the cannibals and are usually found in parties togeter with a leader class mutant.

They are easy to kill with traps and fire but they are still able to absorb a lot of melee damage and hand out some pretty hard punches.

2. The arsonist mutant
This mutant is almost the same as the regular mutant, everything is exactly the same exept for one very specific thing.

The arsonist mutant is currently the only type of mutant that uses any type of sofisticated weapon (other mutants have been seen with some type of skull mace) that deals additional damage.

He has a torch in his hand and will attack you with this torch if he/his group decides to engage in combat. When hit by this type of cannibal you will be on fire which can be extremely dangerous as well as make you unable to move normaly.

If you see this type of mutant and do not have a weapon you should proceed very carefully.

3. The pack leader mutant
While still looking human just like the regular mutant these type of mutants decorate themselfes by wearing an effigie.

They are usually the leaders of pattrols an raiding partys which in turn makes them important people inside the tribe. Killing them can be frightning for the other mutants causing them to flee.

4. The tribe leader mutant
There is not a lot known about this specific mutant, he stands out from the other mutants because he is wearing many human arms in a circular pattern on his back.

Seeing as this is more frightning than the pack leaders type of effigie and the fact that he wears not one, but two skulls on his head makes you think that he would also be a higher ranked mutant than the pack leader.

Currently it is unconfirmed if this mutant deals any additional of dammage or if he is harder to kill (I did not test this) but what we do know is that he is just like the pack leader capable of leading other mutant groups.

5. The crazy cthulhu type thing
This is a heavily mutated cannibal that is extremelly dangerous and, well lets face it, more frightning than a group of rabbits voilently eating a zebra alive.....
That said they have multiple arm type things and a weard type of umbilical cord. They are able to effectively destroy defensive walls and in the current version they are only killable with bombs. After blowing it up there will be a bloody shower of guts and body parts, yay!

6. The weard female spider thing
So this is probably the mutant with the highest wtf rating yet. Featuring what seems to be 2 or more female bodies merged togeter with some weard fleece covering it.

Sadly it is unkillable right know, but on the contrary of what people seem to think it's attacks don't do any damage. If it detects you it will rise its two legs and charge you with its giant..... well you know what.

One thing to note is that it can't see you if you are crouched which is nice.
Combat
So you've tried everything to avoid or evade those nasty mutants we have been mentioning but they just won't let off?

Well then there remains only one reall solution, combat! Just bear in mind that killing of the mutants can be extremely difficult if you are unpreppared or if you only have a melee weapon. To make sure that you are going to surthrive in every single situation imagenable we will be featuring multiple combat scenarios.

1. starter fight
So you've made a mistake and they've found your hidey spot just 5 mins into the game. These type of situations can be extremely dangerous seeing as you have little gear and combat experience. In both methods circling around your enemies to avoid hits and keeping them in a constant state of recieving damage making them unable to move is the best cource of action.

• 1. The first method of dealing with this is to target the group or tribe leader and focus on killing him. If you do this there is a high chance that the rest of the group will flee but be wary, they will come back with reinforcements so you better run!
  • 2. The second but harder method is to simply kill everyone, the advantage that this strategy has is that there will be no chance of reinforcements being called or the others becoming aware of your presence.

2. prepared fight
You've made your molotovs and have set up a temporary perimiter but that raid party just won't leave you allone? These types of fights are quite easy seeing as you have molotovs, all you have to do is get close and throw them (not too close though!). One warning when it comes to molotoves though is that if you still have a molotov in your hand and you try to grab something out of your backpack the molotov will drop and set you on fire.

3. the basecamp fight
Have they broken trough you're defenced and entered your base? Maybey they might have even glitched in. Anyway you need to take care of them rather soon then later, this also is a fight where running is not always possible adding to the risk. If this happens there are 2 methods that you can use.

• 1. The first and definatively the best one is to try and use the knockback effect of your axe to knock them in either a firepit or a standing fire. The nice thing about this strategie is that once you have knocked them in the fire, you can forget about them. They can't do anything because they are on fire and it is 100% gueranteed that they will die because of this.
  • 2. The second and way more terrible method is to just like in a starter fight scenario method two, just kill everyone. Seeing as here you are further in the game and you may or may not have armor it can help out a bit but close quarter combat is still very risky.
Gear
This part of the guide will be focusing on gear which you are currently not able to craft and are only possible to aqquire in game trough looting. It will feature a list of multiple items divided into categories.

WEAPONS
1. Axes(all are currently believed to be identical)
  • The plane axe
  • The rusty axe
  • The modern axe (it is no longer obtainable in v0.02)
2. Uncategorized
  • Weak spear (used for fishing, can be used as a weapon)

CONSUMABLES
1. Food
  • Booze (lowers stamina)
  • Soda (replenishes fatigue)
  • Berries (only the blue ones are good for you)
  • Wild foods (rabbit, lizard and fish)
Crafting
So we have talked about it before in this guide, bombs molotovs etc etc. But where do you find all the stuff to build it and how of course?

That is what this section is going to be about. I would recomend keeping the map from the "navigating" part at hand, seeing as it is very usefull when planning these type of loot runs.

To craft all the fancy things that you can imagine is quite easy, first just open up your inventory. And then all you have to do is press the right mouse button on the ingredients, and when you're done press the magic gear that will apear and boom! There is you're super awesome crafted object.

1. Molotovs

Needed resources
Cloth
Booze

2. Bombs

Needed resources
Coins
Booze
Circuit Board

3. Stone Axe

Needed resources
Stick
Rock

Right now these are the only 3 items that you are able to craft inside the forest, however more craftable objects are planned and being worked on at the moment.
Lore and possible storyline
In this current build there is not really much that you can do besides build a super awesome radical base and raid the fearsome mutant camps and caves, but let's say that you have done all of that and you want something more.

Well the only thing that ressembles a storyline in the game currently is the option to find all the dead passengers. I have not done this myself nor do I think that I ever will but if you're bored and are playing the forest this is something that you could go and try to persue. As far as I know nothing happens once you have found all the 30 passengers.

Now for a little bit of lore, the aircraft that you where on was an aircraft from the carrier Lufthansa. It was probably headed from new york to somewhere east. On the plane was probably a tennis team seeing as there are large amounts of tennis balls to be found as well as strangely mangled up bodies with tennis rackets at the mutant base camp, at this point of time it is unclear if the player himself is a tennisplayer too.

The forest itself is probably modeled after north american forestry when it comes to the high trees, plants, mountainrange etc. There are multiple campsites, it is not known if they where left behind by the survivors of the crash or not. Sometimes you can see proof of survivors that try to defend themselves in the form of for instance a spear jammed into a sleeping bag. Also inside the caves you can find some older type of boxes (perhaps wo2 erra?) which may indicate that there where survivors beside the mutants on the islands before you.

There is also a little mental game going on whille you are playing the forest seeing as you are the one that litteraly just flew into their land, started using their resources and killing their people which begs the question of who really is the savage?
[/SPOILER

Last edited:
Dini

Dini

merged
Retired
Scaling the Mountain CotM Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice thread! You should add crafting recipes even though there isn't much. :tongue:

Squarees

Squarees

Man of the year
Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice thread! You should add crafting recipes even though there isn't much. :tongue:

Hey Thanks Dini and yes sure will add in the crafting recipes ASAP Thanks for feedback
Hows the forest treating you ? :smile:

Squarees

Squarees

Man of the year
Reaction score
Sin$
Big Update Version 0.03
Features/improvements:
  • No enemies mode! Type “veganmode” on title screen to activate (without the “”)
  • Player head added! And held items now correctly cast shadows
  • New suprise item added to plane
  • Yacht location is now random
  • Bats now correctly fly out of cave entrances
  • Partially built structures are now saved
  • Fixed water not accumulating on terrain when raining
  • Cassette player can now be turned off by clicking it a second time if it’s already playing
  • Log Cabin now has a floor, a door with hinge and a sleeping/saving spot

Birds will now land on window ledge of your built log cabin
  • Molotov will extinguish if in contact with water
  • Improved sunset/sunrise lighting
  • Two new effigies buildable, simple head on stick and arms pointing to sky
  • House boat buildable (Warning : buggy!! – especially with sharks. Also, may sink)
  • Stick marker added to custom building, quickly build yourself waypoints
  • Coral and seaweed added under water (rough)
  • New buildable item : Stick holder
  • Inventory can now carry 1 additional stick (to make shelter construction easier)
  • Small texture tweaks/improvements
  • Shadow distance increased for High and mid settings
  • Improved motion blur on held items
  • Hanging rope pick ups added to deep in caves
  • New cave lighting prop: Laptop
  • 11 new filmic inspired grade options added to graphic options menu
  • Bench now buildable via book section ‘Furniture’
  • Single bat prefab added to parts of caves
  • Improved lilypad pop-in
  • Med pickups now go direct to inventory instead of being eaten on pickup

Sounds:
  • Improved cannibal village track implementation
  • ‘Lake’ track added to Geese Lake
  • Bash pass at all ambient sound implementation, better transitions, better positioning, fall off and ranges
  • Thunder and rain sounds randomized
  • Cave audio pass, adding reverb and echo, better balancing
  • Underwater sound filter added
  • Water footsteps sounds now play when you walk into water
Performance:
  • More memory optimizations should improve stability
  • Lowered memory usage further if 32bit windows is detected, should fix crash on opening if less than 4gbs of usable memory is available (note: 4gb usable is still recommended)
Bugs:
  • Head no longer pokes through collision!
  • Fixed some items missing from inventory when game was loaded
  • Fixed collision where you could wall walk out of plane
  • Fixed can’t carry more raw fish message that would appear when you had too many rocks.
  • Fixed pond covered in logs
  • Fixed left hand held conflicts between lighter, torch walkman etc
  • Removed gleam on inventory coins and flares
  • Fixed floating garden
  • Fixed leaf vertex colors on small leaf hut
  • Fixed flare gun falling through yacht
  • Fixed log going to -1 if you died whilst holding a log
  • Fixed small effigy construction shader being too faint
  • Removed grass cutting from opening inventory (was causing crashes on some pc’s)

Squarees

Squarees

Man of the year
Reaction score
Sin$
The Forest Survival Book 101

Extreme cannibal survival .101
To survive in the forest one must consider multiple aspects, these aspects consist of:
Food, Shelter, Defences and supplies. Survival in the forest is harder then it other games because of its realistic health and stamina system as well as the extreme amount of damage one must inflict to sucessfully kill any type of hostile mutant.

Before starting to play though I would highly reccomend that you install a user created patch for the game known as the "no more birds" patch which most importantly fixes the inventory save bug (anything significant will become "invisible" and non-interactive).
To install this patch simply google it and follow the instructions provided by the page. Once you are in game simply press "j" and tadaa! Your inventory will now save correctly.
Next up is spawning in.
Spawning in
When you first spawn inside the game you will see a video also known as the "timmy taken" scene where the plane crashes and the child next to you aka "timmy" who is presumed to be your child seeing as he is hugging your arm, is kidnapped after the plane crash by what may very well be the alpha leader of the cannibals because he is the only male with genitals.........
(When the clip finishes, you will wake up in the plane wreck)
What to do when you spawn in the plane is simple, gather as much gear as you can (most importantly the plane axe) and make a run for it. Don't drink any of the sodas that you gather though, you will need them later in the game. It is commonly known that after you start the game a scouting party of cannibals will reach the plane in 10-15 min, this does not always happen but it does most of the time.
Near the plane (not inside) will also be suitcases, break them with your new and recently aqquired plane axe to find usefull loot like: cloth, booze, pills etc. Make it quick though because of the above mentioned scouting party.
One last thing to add is that if you go all the way to the back of the plane you will see a flashlight in a plastic wall-mount, it is in the current version 0.02 not possible to take the flashlight.
Navigating
Even knowing that navigating in the forest can be quite hard (seeing as you currently have no map) it can be of extreme importance when it comes to finding a spot to set up camp.
The easiest way to navigate is to go to the beach and use a user created map to find your bearings. Here we will be using a map created by doctor denist (many thanks by the way) which is shown down below here.

This map shows all kind of usefull info that ranges from landmarks to basecamps and is by my opinion the best one I have seen to date. The map also shows an ideal base location which is very usefull when starting.
However if you wish to build your own place in a custom spot there are a few things that you will have to consider before spending all those hours of labor and precious resources on a giant main basecamp only to find out that there is no food in a range of 5 kilometers.
  • Make sure there are no cannibal camps or caves nearby (exept if you want full blown war....)
  • Make sure that there is a replenishable food cource nearby
  • Make sure the area is easily deffendable
  • Choose a location that is well hidden
If you follow these set of rulles you will be perfectly fine. It is possible to build in more high-risk, more patrolled areas. For instance my entire basecamp is built up against the cliff north of the sailboat, however I would not reccomend this if you are just getting started.
Setting up basecamp
So let's say you have found the perfect spot to create your over-complex extreme super fortress of violent murder and cassete raves.
Then comes the next part which is not only time consuming, but also unforgiving seeing as that the only way to remove placed blueprints is to reload the ENTIRE game which takes up loads of time and is mega super frustrating.
That is also why I would reccomend to plan out your endgame base carefully before building anything, perhaps even watch a couple of youtubers walktroughs of the forest and see their designs.
When it comes to designs there are a few things to bear in mind, for instance the fact that walls with a door don't actually have a door and cannibals can just walk straight trought them. If you don't want any cannibals in your base I would highly recomend building a system with stairs and platforms seeing as mutants can't walk stairs (YET)
As an example in this guide I will use my current base which has 2 defense perimeters. One that is completely secure (living sector) and one that is semi secure ("the jard") we wil start of with the living sector.
(living sector of my current camp)
One of the mistakes I made here was that I've built on ground that wasn't flat, while as you see it is possible, the results are not ideal. Especially with things like the log cabin.
On the other hand one of the good things I did here was make use of natural terrain features (the cliff) as well as choosing a location that is easy to defend.
Next up is "the jard"

I've built this part of my own base after I had built the living sector, I tried to improve upon my mistakes that I made before and try out some new concepts in architecture.
As you see there also is a platform which can be used to snipe cannibals with flares, molotovs and bombs.
(standing on top of the platform)
The nice thing about "the jard" is that it is made on flat ground which not only makes it look nicer but also makes it less glitchy. When it comes to the entrance there are 2 side entrances of which one is rigged with a trap and the other is only accesible by me.
Also there is an infinite food supply inside the base seeing as it was possible to create a secure and mutant proof fishing dock.

So to line it up I am going to give a summary of the good and bad aspects of my base.
  • + Great food supply
  • + Good use of surrounding terrain features
  • + Great defences
  • - uneven terrain
  • - There is a weard cliffside patrol that sometimes spot you if you're in the yard
Keep in mind that this is all an example though and that the only REAL way to find out if you're base works or not is sadly trough a long procces of trail and error.
The cannibals
Sadly you're never truly alone on the island, instead there are cannibalistic mutant tribes that will do their dandest to terrorize, hurt, and haunt you forever.
Sounds like fun doesn't it!
However these are not your basic game AI enemies that take just 2 hits to kill togehter with
super-uber predictable pathfinding mechanics. No these are creatures that dynamicly adapt to their surroundings and their threats; You!
Normally durring the daytime you will see them pattroling trough the woods and around the shorelines. They live in caves and some in primitive camps and have a weard voodoo like culture with their own gods and values (hell you can even find them praying somethimes!).
Once you get spotted by one or more mutants there are multiple factors that will determine if they will react aggresively or not, these factors consist of:
  • Time of the day
  • Type of weather
  • Size of the mutant group
  • player showing "aggresive" behavior
  • Is the player wearing armor?
  • Is the player attacking other mutants?
Especially the last 3 can make a huge difference in most scenarios. But there isn't just advanced combat mechanics and besides their extremely high health and high damage there are other intressting things about the mutants.
For instance if a group attacks you and you manage to kill or severely injure one of them, they will try and drag them away from the battlefield and to safety. They also morn their dead using effigies which they also use to try and communicate with you. Also if you see a mutant running after you have killed one of them he is going to go and get reinforcements!!!
be wary of this.
So now lets look at the specific types of mutants and what it is that they do currently.
1. The regular mutant
They look the most human of all the cannibals and are usually found in parties togeter with a leader class mutant.
They are easy to kill with traps and fire but they are still able to absorb a lot of melee damage and hand out some pretty hard punches.
2. The arsonist mutant
This mutant is almost the same as the regular mutant, everything is exactly the same exept for one very specific thing.
The arsonist mutant is currently the only type of mutant that uses any type of sofisticated weapon (other mutants have been seen with some type of skull mace) that deals additional damage.
He has a torch in his hand and will attack you with this torch if he/his group decides to engage in combat. When hit by this type of cannibal you will be on fire which can be extremely dangerous as well as make you unable to move normaly.
If you see this type of mutant and do not have a weapon you should proceed very carefully.
3. The pack leader mutant
While still looking human just like the regular mutant these type of mutants decorate themselfes by wearing an effigie.
They are usually the leaders of pattrols an raiding partys which in turn makes them important people inside the tribe. Killing them can be frightning for the other mutants causing them to flee.
4. The tribe leader mutant
There is not a lot known about this specific mutant, he stands out from the other mutants because he is wearing many human arms in a circular pattern on his back.
Seeing as this is more frightning than the pack leaders type of effigie and the fact that he wears not one, but two skulls on his head makes you think that he would also be a higher ranked mutant than the pack leader.
Currently it is unconfirmed if this mutant deals any additional of dammage or if he is harder to kill (I did not test this) but what we do know is that he is just like the pack leader capable of leading other mutant groups.
5. The crazy cthulhu type thing
This is a heavily mutated cannibal that is extremelly dangerous and, well lets face it, more frightning than a group of rabbits voilently eating a zebra alive.....
That said they have multiple arm type things and a weard type of umbilical cord. They are able to effectively destroy defensive walls and in the current version they are only killable with bombs. After blowing it up there will be a bloody shower of guts and body parts, yay!
6. The weard female spider thing
So this is probably the mutant with the highest wtf rating yet. Featuring what seems to be 2 or more female bodies merged togeter with some weard fleece covering it.
Sadly it is unkillable right know, but on the contrary of what people seem to think it's attacks don't do any damage. If it detects you it will rise its two legs and charge you with its giant..... well you know what.
One thing to note is that it can't see you if you are crouched which is nice.
Combat
So you've tried everything to avoid or evade those nasty mutants we have been mentioning but they just won't let off?
Well then there remains only one reall solution, combat! Just bear in mind that killing of the mutants can be extremely difficult if you are unpreppared or if you only have a melee weapon. To make sure that you are going to surthrive in every single situation imagenable we will be featuring multiple combat scenarios.
1. starter fight
So you've made a mistake and they've found your hidey spot just 5 mins into the game. These type of situations can be extremely dangerous seeing as you have little gear and combat experience. In both methods circling around your enemies to avoid hits and keeping them in a constant state of recieving damage making them unable to move is the best cource of action.
  • 1. The first method of dealing with this is to target the group or tribe leader and focus on killing him. If you do this there is a high chance that the rest of the group will flee but be wary, they will come back with reinforcements so you better run!
  • 2. The second but harder method is to simply kill everyone, the advantage that this strategy has is that there will be no chance of reinforcements being called or the others becoming aware of your presence.
2. prepared fight
You've made your molotovs and have set up a temporary perimiter but that raid party just won't leave you allone? These types of fights are quite easy seeing as you have molotovs, all you have to do is get close and throw them (not too close though!). One warning when it comes to molotoves though is that if you still have a molotov in your hand and you try to grab something out of your backpack the molotov will drop and set you on fire.
3. the basecamp fight
Have they broken trough you're defenced and entered your base? Maybey they might have even glitched in. Anyway you need to take care of them rather soon then later, this also is a fight where running is not always possible adding to the risk. If this happens there are 2 methods that you can use.
  • 1. The first and definatively the best one is to try and use the knockback effect of your axe to knock them in either a firepit or a standing fire. The nice thing about this strategie is that once you have knocked them in the fire, you can forget about them. They can't do anything because they are on fire and it is 100% gueranteed that they will die because of this.
  • 2. The second and way more terrible method is to just like in a starter fight scenario method two, just kill everyone. Seeing as here you are further in the game and you may or may not have armor it can help out a bit but close quarter combat is still very risky.
Gear
This part of the guide will be focusing on gear which you are currently not able to craft and are only possible to aqquire in game trough looting. It will feature a list of multiple items divided into categories.
WEAPONS
1. Axes(all are currently believed to be identical)

• The plane axe
  • The rusty axe
  • The modern axe (it is no longer obtainable in v0.02)
2. Uncategorized
  • Weak spear (used for fishing, can be used as a weapon)
CONSUMABLES
1. Food

• Booze (lowers stamina)
  • Soda (replenishes fatigue)
  • Berries (only the blue ones are good for you)
  • Wild foods (rabbit, lizard and fish)
Crafting
So we have talked about it before in this guide, bombs molotovs etc etc. But where do you find all the stuff to build it and how of course?
That is what this section is going to be about. I would recomend keeping the map from the "navigating" part at hand, seeing as it is very usefull when planning these type of loot runs.
To craft all the fancy things that you can imagine is quite easy, first just open up your inventory. And then all you have to do is press the right mouse button on the ingredients, and when you're done press the magic gear that will apear and boom! There is you're super awesome crafted object.
1. Molotovs

Needed resources
Cloth
Booze
2. Bombs

Needed resources
Coins
Booze
Circuit Board
3. Stone Axe

Needed resources
Stick
Rock

Right now these are the only 3 items that you are able to craft inside the forest, however more craftable objects are planned and being worked on at the moment.
Lore and possible storyline
In this current build there is not really much that you can do besides build a super awesome radical base and raid the fearsome mutant camps and caves, but let's say that you have done all of that and you want something more.
Well the only thing that ressembles a storyline in the game currently is the option to find all the dead passengers. I have not done this myself nor do I think that I ever will but if you're bored and are playing the forest this is something that you could go and try to persue. As far as I know nothing happens once you have found all the 30 passengers.
Now for a little bit of lore, the aircraft that you where on was an aircraft from the carrier Lufthansa. It was probably headed from new york to somewhere east. On the plane was probably a tennis team seeing as there are large amounts of tennis balls to be found as well as strangely mangled up bodies with tennis rackets at the mutant base camp, at this point of time it is unclear if the player himself is a tennisplayer too.
The forest itself is probably modeled after north american forestry when it comes to the high trees, plants, mountainrange etc. There are multiple campsites, it is not known if they where left behind by the survivors of the crash or not. Sometimes you can see proof of survivors that try to defend themselves in the form of for instance a spear jammed into a sleeping bag. Also inside the caves you can find some older type of boxes (perhaps wo2 erra?) which may indicate that there where survivors beside the mutants on the islands before you.
There is also a little mental game going on whille you are playing the forest seeing as you are the one that litteraly just flew into their land, started using their resources and killing their people which begs the question of who really is the savage?
[/SPOILER

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Legendary Veteran Programmer Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
i haven't played it for a while i need to get back into it

Keysnsamples

Keysnsamples

Stuff n Thangs
Retired
Fabled Veteran Greeter Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice thread. Haven't played this game in a few updates, but it's a lot of fun and can't wait for the finished product!

Squarees

Squarees

Man of the year
Reaction score
Sin$
Ugh I see ill check it out tonight and have a little play a round with it. yeah but sounds like it wont be fully working Intel the next update .

Alpha Q up

Alpha Q up

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
this game is awesome, ive been able to survive for 14 days now i believe. ive got my camp right on the beach and am currently making a separate, more safer camp near by. cant wait for the next update!

ReSuReKtZ

ReSuReKtZ

Mythical Veteran Chatty Kathy Donator
Reaction score
Sin$
seems like just every other survival horror game out, maybe ill check it out eventually but not till later, sick of all these games they need to make something different for once.

Top Bottom
Login
Register