What's new

Solved The dreaded JRunner "Version 10 Flash Config 0x00000000" error

D

Dito

Irritable Genius
Reaction score
So I spent about 4 hours trying to solder 7 wires. I feel pathetic right now. I swear on a stack of Stephen King novels that my soldering is... decent. I redid everything several times, checked adjacent points with a continuity meter to make sure nothing bridged over... and JRunner still complains.

Here are the required images:
(Note: I realize the yellow wire looks like it's touching the point above, but in 3D space, it's not. The solder ball was just a little oversized and ran up the wire.)

And... (I'm pretty sure these two are okay)

I hope someone else can see what I can't, because I'm frustrated and feeling defeated. Please help a well-meaning n00b.

Thank you in advance.

-Dito

H

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Staff
Reaction score
So I spent about 4 hours trying to solder 7 wires. I feel pathetic right now. I swear on a stack of Stephen King novels that my soldering is... decent. I redid everything several times, checked adjacent points with a continuity meter to make sure nothing bridged over... and JRunner still complains.

Here are the required images:
(Note: I realize the yellow wire looks like it's touching the point above, but in 3D space, it's not. The solder ball was just a little oversized and ran up the wire.)

And... (I'm pretty sure these two are okay)

I hope someone else can see what I can't, because I'm frustrated and feeling defeated. Please help a well-meaning n00b.

Thank you in advance.

-Dito
Its not great, but should get the job done. Clean up the flux. Do you have the jrprogrammer logo in jrunner, is the power plugged into the back of the xbox?

D

Dito

Irritable Genius
Reaction score
Its not great, but should get the job done. Clean up the flux. Do you have the jrprogrammer logo in jrunner, is the power plugged into the back of the xbox?

The soldering was prettier four or five attempts ago, I promise. I cleaned up the flux a bit with rubbing alcohol - it's pretty scorched.

The power supply is connected - I got a different error when I forgot that. Doh.

I do have the JR logo in JR Programmer.

A theory/question: is a JR Programmer sensitive to the length of the USB cable? The first one I could put my hands on was a long (6-foot?) cable. I might have a shorter one around here somewhere.

Also, what about the two jumper switches on the JRP? I've never seen them mentioned so I don't know if they could or would make a difference.

Thanks.

H

HuskerHeaven

Staff
Reaction score
The soldering was prettier four or five attempts ago, I promise. I cleaned up the flux a bit with rubbing alcohol - it's pretty scorched.

The power supply is connected - I got a different error when I forgot that. Doh.

I do have the JR logo in JR Programmer.

A theory/question: is a JR Programmer sensitive to the length of the USB cable? The first one I could put my hands on was a long (6-foot?) cable. I might have a shorter one around here somewhere.

Also, what about the two jumper switches on the JRP? I've never seen them mentioned so I don't know if they could or would make a difference.

Thanks.
Length shouldn't make a difference. If that's all good, you can try hitting the rst button on the programmer after its all plugged in. If that doesn't work, it has to be soldering.

M

MonsterModz316

Banned
Reaction score
Length shouldn't make a difference. If that's all good, you can try hitting the rst button on the programmer after its all plugged in. If that doesn't work, it has to be soldering.
H HuskerHeaven Don't you think he should fix the brown wire. It looks like it isnt even soldered to the nand point.

H

HuskerHeaven

Staff
Reaction score
H HuskerHeaven Don't you think he should fix the brown wire. It looks like it isnt even soldered to the nand point.
I mean it could be. The yellow wire could be bridged as well. There are a few issues, but I've seen worse soldering dump the nand.

M

MonsterModz316

Banned
Reaction score
I mean it could be. The yellow wire could be bridged as well. There are a few issues, but I've seen worse soldering dump the nand.
D Dito I would fix those 2 spots that H HuskerHeaven said. Yellow and Brown. Good luck and i hope you get the nand to read :smile:

Quick tip: Make the wire length shorter. Easier to solder to the points :smile:

D

Dito

Irritable Genius
Reaction score
D Dito I would fix those 2 spots that H HuskerHeaven said. Yellow and Brown. Good luck and i hope you get the nand to read :smile:

Quick tip: Make the wire length shorter. Easier to solder to the points :smile:

Interesting quick tip. But it makes sense. I've also done enough projects in my time to hate stranded wire. Once I cut off the connectors and started stripping, I began to groan. I don't have any runaway strands that I know of, but I'll double-check.

I'll redo yellow and brown and see what I get.

I'll test out the reset button and see what happens. What should happen? Nothing bad, I hope.

(Side note just to vent: I knew you guys would say it was the soldering. I did plenty of searching, both here and at TX's site, and it's always the soldering. That's why I redid my soldering so many times, trying to get it just right. I know it's got to be my soldering, too. I'm just aggravated and venting, that's all. I know there's harder solder points coming in the RGH 1.2 process and I'm trying to keep my chin up. It's the soldering. It's always the soldering. I feel like I should have a drink tonight and toast to "the soldering" and hope that makes a difference. My ouija board would spell out "the soldering". There's letters written on my foggy bathroom mirror that say "the soldering". It's the soldering. Okay. Random venting over. Thanks for reading.)

H

HuskerHeaven

Staff
Reaction score
Interesting quick tip. But it makes sense. I've also done enough projects in my time to hate stranded wire. Once I cut off the connectors and started stripping, I began to groan. I don't have any runaway strands that I know of, but I'll double-check.

I'll test out the reset button and see what happens. What should happen? Nothing bad, I hope.

(Side note just to vent: I knew you guys would say it was the soldering. I did plenty of searching, both here and at TX's site, and it's always the soldering. That's why I redid my soldering so many times, trying to get it just right. I know it's got to be my soldering, too. I'm just aggravated and venting, that's all. I know there's harder solder points coming in the RGH 1.2 process and I'm trying to keep my chin up. It's the soldering. It's always the soldering. I feel like I should have a drink tonight and toast to "the soldering" and hope that makes a difference. My ouija board would spell out "the soldering". There's letters written on my foggy bathroom mirror that say "the soldering". It's the soldering. Okay. Random venting over. Thanks for reading.)
OR just drink while you resolver. That always helps...

M

MonsterModz316

Banned
Reaction score

lol. Also if you think reading the nand is hard... **** Good luck with CLK, BLL_ByPass, and CPU_RST. Post_out isnt hard at all.

2liftheavy

Getting There
Reaction score
Desolder
Clean up
Solder wick
Clean up
Flux
Re-tin nand points on mobo
Trim wires on nand programmer
Resolder to nand points

Sometimes, unplugging and replugging PSU works

D

Dito

Irritable Genius
Reaction score
lol. Also if you think reading the nand is hard... **** Good luck with CLK, BLL_ByPass, and CPU_RST. Post_out isnt hard at all.

Oh, I know. I know. I've read all the tutorials and watched all the videos. Fun times ahead.

But if I didn't try this, I'd just be insane for no actual reason. I figure if this makes me insane, I'll have a better excuse. ("What happened to him?" "He tried to RGH a console." "Poor bastard. I hope he gets some help.")

D

Dito

Irritable Genius
Reaction score
Hey look...

The happiest I've been in two days!

And that's despite accidentally pulling the orange wire out of the header that attaches to the JRP. I managed to get it back in and by gods, IT WORKED!

Thanks for all the help. Moving on now... this is gonna be something.

PS: Is there some way I can get the the JRunner "NAND read success" sound effect as a sound file? It'd make a nice text tone while I'm working on this project.

M

MonsterModz316

Banned
Reaction score
Hey look...

The happiest I've been in two days!

And that's despite accidentally pulling the orange wire out of the header that attaches to the JRP. I managed to get it back in and by gods, IT WORKED!

Thanks for all the help. Moving on now... this is gonna be something.

PS: Is there some way I can get the the JRunner "NAND read success" sound effect as a sound file? It'd make a nice text tone while I'm working on this project.
I would not know, but H HuskerHeaven might.

Top Bottom