What's new

Discussion The Current State of Pokemon Go for users who want a little more

M

mgiara

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi everyone,

I wanted to summarize the current state of our options for playing Pokemon Go with recent updates.

As of the recent update (0.37.0) rooted and jailbroken phones can no longer access the game.
To circumvent this, there seem to be a handful of options currently working:
-Downgrading to an older version of the game (I suspect this might soon be eliminated as an option somehow)
-Installation of Magisk

As far as I've read, Magisk is a tool used to temporarily remove root (to play Pokemon Go), then re-install it whenever we want to access root functions.

I'm currently playing a previous version of the game on a rooted 6P and am planning on installing Magisk, but first wanted to reach out and see if there was any possibility of trying out whatever is currently the safest method of GPS spoofing. (I've put a lot of time and money into my current account and don't want to lose it).

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd Mayweather

TMT !
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi everyone,

I wanted to summarize the current state of our options for playing Pokemon Go with recent updates.

As of the recent update (0.37.0) rooted and jailbroken phones can no longer access the game.
To circumvent this, there seem to be a handful of options currently working:
-Downgrading to an older version of the game (I suspect this might soon be eliminated as an option somehow)
-Installation of Magisk

As far as I've read, Magisk is a tool used to temporarily remove root (to play Pokemon Go), then re-install it whenever we want to access root functions.

I'm currently playing a previous version of the game on a rooted 6P and am planning on installing Magisk, but first wanted to reach out and see if there was any possibility of trying out whatever is currently the safest method of GPS spoofing. (I've put a lot of time and money into my current account and don't want to lose it).
Your cheating there's nothing "safe" about it only ways and methods to prolong the inevitable.

crovean

crovean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Magisk works for a lot of people but it also bricks some phones. I'm not removing root from my device to play so I downgraded to 0.35.0 on Android. I'm running a nexus 6 with ElementalX and magisk seems like a pain in the *** to change to just to play this game. I contacted support and I'm trying to get my money back since the game is literally unplayable in its current state (even some non-rooted users are having the same problems). Right now stick with 0.35.0 and don't spoof, they're going to get better and better at detecting it.

OLine57

OLine57

ALL GAVE SOME. SOME GAVE ALL. 343
Hardened Veteran Gifter Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$

Currently, if you GPS spoof, you WILL be caught. There is no current safe way to do it, as 1) the spoofing itself is detected, and 2) the spoofed data only sends latitude/longitude and not elevation, so your elevation is always set to 0. Even if you never teleport, always walk slow, only play for short intervals, don't walk through buildings, do everything as safely as possible, you will still be caught. The data transmitted to Niantic is scanned for inconsistencies, your account is flagged, and when it eventually gets reviewed, you get banned. People keep thinking they're safe because they haven't gotten banned yet. There's over 100 million downloads and probably over 1 billion accounts that have been created. Once the system flags you, it can take weeks before you get banned.

Best advise: Don't do anything on your main account. Create a different account to use for fun and spoofing. I'm speaking from experience, as I foolishly had my account with $200 in it banned. I GPS spoofed for a month. Never botted, sniped, or teleported, always stayed in my home town, did everything as safe as was thought to be possible. Literally just walked around downtown (spoofing) in a couple mile radius catching Pokemon and hitting Pokestops because I was too lazy to go do it for real. Banned. Don't cheat on an account you've put money into.

RunltStr8

RunltStr8

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm jailbroken and still am able to play Pokemon Go? Same with all my mates who are also jailbroken! So I don't why yall can't play on a rooted device

Last edited:
OLine57

OLine57

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm jailbroken and still am able to play Pokemon Go? Same with all my mates who are also jailbroken! So I don't why yall can't play on a rooted device

You're on version 1.7.1?

XboxRainbowMods

XboxRainbowMods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Currently, if you GPS spoof, you WILL be caught. There is no current safe way to do it, as 1) the spoofing itself is detected, and 2) the spoofed data only sends latitude/longitude and not elevation, so your elevation is always set to 0. Even if you never teleport, always walk slow, only play for short intervals, don't walk through buildings, do everything as safely as possible, you will still be caught. The data transmitted to Niantic is scanned for inconsistencies, your account is flagged, and when it eventually gets reviewed, you get banned. People keep thinking they're safe because they haven't gotten banned yet. There's over 100 million downloads and probably over 1 billion accounts that have been created. Once the system flags you, it can take weeks before you get banned.

Best advise: Don't do anything on your main account. Create a different account to use for fun and spoofing. I'm speaking from experience, as I foolishly had my account with $200 in it banned. I GPS spoofed for a month. Never botted, sniped, or teleported, always stayed in my home town, did everything as safe as was thought to be possible. Literally just walked around downtown (spoofing) in a couple mile radius catching Pokemon and hitting Pokestops because I was too lazy to go do it for real. Banned. Don't cheat on an account you've put money into.

Well that sucks... I used Fake GPS Toolkit with Xposed framework which not only allows you to spoof elevation but also spoof real satellite data. It's a tool for developers making apps for GPS. One of the updates stopped the game from running (a while ago) on my rooted devices so I haven't tried spoofing since but I'm still okay on all my accounts AFAIK. It entirely depends on what the game client transmitted to the mother ship. The basic GPS spoof apps are a REALLY bad idea... and since this was the only tool that worked on Ingress for such a long time.. I figured it should be good enough for pogo.. just couldn't figure out what was making the app no longer run on my rooted devices (before this recent update). On non-rooted, everything is fine.
Oh and for anyone who says "don't cheat" or something to that affect.. shut that dirty mouth!

Pretty much to spoof now you'd need a programmable external GPS device to use with say a chromebook or ipad without service. Which I've been looking for.

OLine57

OLine57

Reaction score
Sin$
Well that sucks... I used Fake GPS Toolkit with Xposed framework which not only allows you to spoof elevation but also spoof real satellite data. It's a tool for developers making apps for GPS. One of the updates stopped the game from running (a while ago) on my rooted devices so I haven't tried spoofing since but I'm still okay on all my accounts AFAIK. It entirely depends on what the game client transmitted to the mother ship. The basic GPS spoof apps are a REALLY bad idea... and since this was the only tool that worked on Ingress for such a long time.. I figured it should be good enough for pogo.. just couldn't figure out what was making the app no longer run on my rooted devices (before this recent update). On non-rooted, everything is fine.
Oh and for anyone who says "don't cheat" or something to that affect.. shut that dirty mouth!

Pretty much to spoof now you'd need a programmable external GPS device to use with say a chromebook or ipad without service. Which I've been looking for.

So they never detected that method on Ingress? All the research I've done, and it's been days, not hours, but literally days, every method everybody has tried on POGO has been caught. If your accounts haven't been banned yet, I'd hold off until more is known about what data exactly they are receiving and tracking and flagging, but TBH, I wouldn't hold my breath. Best of luck to you though.

And I'm all for cheating to an extent lol. When I say don't do it, it's because I know firsthand it gets that a$$ banned :biggrin:

EDIT: I'll tell you what: If you do figure out a way to use a programmable external GPS, hit me up. I have the means to afford something like that, and I'm definitely down to experiment with throwaway accounts to see what's possible. Especially if it means sticking it to Niantic :devil:

Last edited:
OLine57

OLine57

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes the 1.7.1 patch is updated in Cydia

That's strange. People all over that are jailbroken are having issues now. Did you do anything to circumvent the game from detecting jailbreak? Or did you just update to 1.7.1 and have no issues?

XboxRainbowMods

XboxRainbowMods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So they never detected that method on Ingress? All the research I've done, and it's been days, not hours, but literally days, every method everybody has tried on POGO has been caught. If your accounts haven't been banned yet, I'd hold off until more is known about what data exactly they are receiving and tracking and flagging, but TBH, I wouldn't hold my breath. Best of luck to you though.

And I'm all for cheating to an extent lol. When I say don't do it, it's because I know firsthand it gets that a$$ banned :biggrin:

EDIT: I'll tell you what: If you do figure out a way to use a programmable external GPS, hit me up. I have the means to afford something like that, and I'm definitely down to experiment with throwaway accounts to see what's possible. Especially if it means sticking it to Niantic :devil:

Nope.. My ingress accounts are still good lol... and I haven't played it in.. shoot must be at least a full year or more. And Pogo.. it's been at least a month or more since I played. There's been at least 3 updates (after my rooted devices stopped working) that got pushed to Google play and I loaded my accounts just to see if they were still there. Still there.

Yea I'll definitely post back here if I find a way to use an external GPS setup. Most things I've found/read online are not very user friendly.

OLine57

OLine57

Reaction score
Sin$
Nope.. My ingress accounts are still good lol... and I haven't played it in.. shoot must be at least a full year or more. And Pogo.. it's been at least a month or more since I played. There's been at least 3 updates (after my rooted devices stopped working) that got pushed to Google play and I loaded my accounts just to see if they were still there. Still there.

Yea I'll definitely post back here if I find a way to use an external GPS setup. Most things I've found/read online are not very user friendly.

That's awesome! Hopefully they stay good! And good luck with the GPS :smile:

Twisted Impulse

Twisted Impulse

Reaction score
Sin$
Magisk works for a lot of people but it also bricks some phones. I'm not removing root from my device to play so I downgraded to 0.35.0 on Android. I'm running a nexus 6 with ElementalX and magisk seems like a pain in the *** to change to just to play this game. I contacted support and I'm trying to get my money back since the game is literally unplayable in its current state (even some non-rooted users are having the same problems). Right now stick with 0.35.0 and don't spoof, they're going to get better and better at detecting it.
My house mate is in the same boat. Sold him my HTC M9 which I'd rooted, S-Off'd and set up with Xposed etc. He plays a lot of PoGo & was gutted when they blocked rooted devices. The phone is set up with a complex mix of add ons that allow us to get our bus passes for free (instead of £60 a month!). He's now asking me to wipe it, update everything, install magisk in place of root & get the bus pass app working again all because of this update..... told him not a chance & it's not worth it lol

M

mgiara

Reaction score
Sin$
It seems my prediction came true.
Root users can no longer play on an older version of the game afaik.
I'm now forced to install Magisk just for pogo. :frown:

V

Vexaah

Reaction score
Sin$
My house mate is in the same boat. Sold him my HTC M9 which I'd rooted, S-Off'd and set up with Xposed etc. He plays a lot of PoGo & was gutted when they blocked rooted devices. The phone is set up with a complex mix of add ons that allow us to get our bus passes for free (instead of £60 a month!). He's now asking me to wipe it, update everything, install magisk in place of root & get the bus pass app working again all because of this update..... told him not a chance & it's not worth it lol

I know this is off-topic but can you explain about the bus pass for free a little bit more?

Twisted Impulse

Twisted Impulse

Reaction score
Sin$
I know this is off-topic but can you explain about the bus pass for free a little bit more?
Arriva (UK) have a digital ticket app. Found an exploit that requires root. Haven't paid for a bus ticket since July 2013. Rough saving of £2.1K.

Top Bottom
Login
Register