• Views 421
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimebag Darrell

Bradybunch 7s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
*The Note* - Not sure what section this post would be best suited for. So Mods/Admins, feel free to move it if needed.

*The Problem* - Okay, so I turned on my XBox 360, got on the Forza 4 Demo, I hate the s*** music they have on there but I still wanted to actually hear the cars, so me turning down the TV volume was not an option. I went to go click on my network to stream music from my Laptop to my XBox 360, and when I went to click on my Laptops connection, a random network I've never seen on there before popped up lol... And I know it's not anyone in my house that's using that network because the name for the network is "ANGELAJONES-PC: Angela Jones"... and I have never *EVER* known anyone named Angela in my life lol...

*The Solution* - Well, I don't have one, that's why I'm posting this. I need to knock this b**** off my network. Any tips on how to do so?

*The P.S.* - I don't feel like going through the hassle of setting up a password that people need to connect to the network. Unless it's easier than I think. If it's easier than I think then tell me how to do that to. :smile:

White

YoImBeast

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Your first problem is that you don't have a password protected Wi-Fi signal..

iamme

iamme

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Connect to your router with the username and password and url on the router itself. Fine the connections currently on the network, and from there, you should be able to block the connection. I have done it many of times to people that come over to my house to use my internet.

Rally

Rally

Experienced Member
Mythical Veteran Tutorial Creator Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Your first problem is that you don't have a password protected Wi-Fi signal..
i dont..... i have mine hidden and heavily encrypted, the only way to find it is knowing what sub freq its on and having the exact name. And even then if they dont have the certificate on there end they wont get a connection(with i guess could be considered a passwrd lol)

also OP, i might be wrong, but the only way for names to show up like that is if they connected to your xbox with Microsoft media, other then that it wouldn't show up, could be wrong, also you can get a Real-time network traffic sniffer and see all the traffic thats going over your wireless signal...

everything you should need can be found below,
http://www.netmon.org/tools.htm

A

ADIZZYSN1PER

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
You should just be able to hop on your Router's Control Panel, go to your default gateway; 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1, etc., and you can see the users who are connected to your router. You are able to "ban" them via their MAC address so they can't connect to your router and steal your internet again.

Chloroform

Capt Numbnutz

Forum Addict Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont..... i have mine hidden and heavily encrypted, the only way to find it is knowing what sub freq its on and having the exact name. And even then if they dont have the certificate on there end they wont get a connection(with i guess could be considered a passwrd lol)

also OP, i might be wrong, but the only way for names to show up like that is if they connected to your xbox with Microsoft media, other then that it wouldn't show up, could be wrong, also you can get a Real-time network traffic sniffer and see all the traffic thats going over your wireless signal...

everything you should need can be found below,
http://www.netmon.org/tools.htm

how come you have your wireless signal setup like this? are there any benefits to this method?

Bar Starred

YourMumOnToast9

Contributor
Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
how come you have your wireless signal setup like this? are there any benefits to this method?
Yep, not needing to enter a password on new devices, simply entering the mentioned details will allow a connection, and i bet they are easily memorable.

Personally, i use no password / key on my wifi network, i allow devices by their MAC address, so no-one gets on my network, wirelessly, without my permission. That is, unless they spoof a trusted MAC address, and if they do that, then, well, they're knowledgeable . . not much i can do

OT: do you have a PC on your network that is second-hand? Or more specifically, one that has an OS, that was used by someone else? Always a possiblity.

Chloroform

Capt Numbnutz

Forum Addict Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
Yep, not needing to enter a password on new devices, simply entering the mentioned details will allow a connection, and i bet they are easily memorable.

Personally, i use no password / key on my wifi network, i allow devices by their MAC address, so no-one gets on my network, wirelessly, without my permission. That is, unless they spoof a trusted MAC address, and if they do that, then, well, they're knowledgeable . . not much i can do

OT: do you have a PC on your network that is second-hand? Or more specifically, one that has an OS, that was used by someone else? Always a possiblity.

I'll stick with the way I have my wireless then. my roommate isn't computer smart, so I'll just keep my settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register