Not open for further replies.
DonQModz

DonQModz

Hidden Devils
Grizzled Veteran AzzidReign Jr Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
d8f1e83ba8565b845f96e34d94afb836.png
Lately, in the news, we’ve seen that a kid is being sued by Epic games for Modding Fortnite. Well, Rockstar Games parent Company, Take-Two Interactive has gone down a similar path. They are taking a GTA Online modder to court to ban him from making unauthorized changes to GTA Online.

Over the course of the game's lifetime, its various hacking problems have caused several large fallouts, and if we look at all the active years of GTA Online, hacking likely is one of the most discussed topics. Used interchangeably but erroneously with modding, and also single player cheat codes, the last-gen consoles and PC remain susceptible.

In its long battle against hacking, Rockstar has shut down single player mods on the PC several times only to re-enable them after doing so did nothing against Online cheaters, and at one time their new anti-cheat system outright broke the game. After a while, it seemed like no anti-cheat was good enough, so instead they changed their banning policy to a rather Draconian no-tolerance scheme.

Hacking in GTA Online is still fairly common, but things have been reined in recently. Ever since character transfers between the last-gen and current-gen consoles were ceased, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are completely cheat and hack-free, and while there are still instances on PC, things are hardly as severe as they were around 2016 and early 2017.

However, this doesn't mean Rockstar is going to start easing up - if anything, recent news about an Australian GTA Online hacker being sued by Take-Two shows that the company intends to surrender no ground gained. This story doubles as a cautionary tale proving that you need to be mighty careful about what you put out online, because anything compromising will be tracked down.

The story begins in 2014. An individual known online as "Chr0m3 x MoDz", later identified as (will not give his real name out), was developing and spreading GTA Online mod menus and hacks that allowed him and other users to alter and affect the gameplay experiences of other players.

28307c103d2742097d334ec814ee4df2.jpg

It's the usual fare of spawning props, insta-killing, teleporting, etc. Take-Two and Chr0m3 entered into an agreement in 2014 that legally bound Chr0m3, prohibiting him from altering the game.

[Chr0m3 may not] assist in any way in the development or alterations used in connection with any game developed or owned by the First Applicant, including but not limited to writing code, examining data packets and information exchanged between game users and servers, or exchanges between game users and copyright protection and access control devices

However, in February this year Take-Two discovered a recording where Chr0m3's voice (allegedly) states that he returned to hacking GTA Online after a one-year hiatus, but now simply works secretly, having other individuals take credit for his mods and cheats.

This is in clear violation of the agreement, and Take-Two has moved in to sue. Court documents include a transcript of the conversation.

Take-Two is seeking a more formal and enforceable ban against Chr0m3's hacking activities, as well as damages and the coverage of legal costs.

#Chr0m3

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
This is hilarious but a few things wrong with your article. lol

One being:

the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are completely cheat and hack-free

The PS4 is hackable, Pulse and BrownMagician sell GTA V Online MODS for the PS4. :wink:

Fogel

Fogel

Call Me Mclovin!
Reaction score
Sin$
If the only evidence they have is his alleged voice they are not getting anywhere. Voice recordings do no play a part in convicting anyone of any crime.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
The PS4 is hackable, Pulse and BrownMagician sell GTA V Online MODS for the PS4. :wink:
What you said is very misleading. The Xbox One and PS4 don't have any public online modifications. The PS4 has offline modification support, but the extent of it seems relatively limited on how it affects other consoles or accounts. The modified accounts you see being sold for Xbox One or PS4 are either done via in-game glitches or a pre-made on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Reaction score
Sin$
What you said is very misleading..

Nah, it's not. How?

'The Xbox One and PS4 don't have any public online modifications.'

You're right about the XB1 but not the PS4 - Pulse has even said in his selling thread that he can mod your personal account on the PS4 but yes, the XB1 can't be "modded" and/or "hacked".

The PS4 has offline modification support, but the extent of it seems relatively limited on how it affects other consoles or accounts.

So you're saying an official seller on Se7ensins is lying and that he can't mod your personal account?????

The modified accounts you see being sold for Xbox One or PS4 are either done via in-game glitches or a pre-made on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

For the XB1 yes but not the PS4.

Public methods aren't out there but private one's are. how do you think Pulse and BrownMagician mod GTA V online with their PS4? magic? I doubt it.

I don't want to argue but you're wrong.

Just to quote what I said..

Yes that's right, we CAN do cash recoveries on GTA V PS4 1.41!

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/th...s4-pc-steam-rank-cash-unlocks-extras.1413998/

So...

Unless I'm missing something?????????????????????????????????????????

I'm a newb but from what I've been seeing on Se7ensins, the PS4 can be modded online, BM and Pulse sell and do mods to accounts; on GTA V ONLINE. lol :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Navy Davey

Navy Davey

☠️Wicked Good☠️
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Legendary Veteran Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Whomever the hacker/modded is must be doing some serious damage to Take Two’s profit margin.

They probably have a model for an acceptable loss budget. Once tens of thousands of dollars are being made by someone else using your trademarked property .... you get a little p.issy:roflmao:

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Nah, it's not. How?

You're right about the XB1 but not the PS4 - Pulse has even said in his selling thread that he can mod your personal account on the PS4 but yes, the XB1 can't be "modded" and/or "hacked".

So you're saying an official seller on Se7ensins is lying and that he can't mod your personal account?????

For the XB1 yes but not the PS4.

Public methods aren't out there but private one's are. how do you think Pulse and BrownMagician mod GTA V online with their PS4? magic? I doubt it.

I don't want to argue but you're wrong.

Just to quote what I said..

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/th...s4-pc-steam-rank-cash-unlocks-extras.1413998/

So...

Unless I'm missing something?????????????????????????????????????????

I'm a newb but from what I've been seeing on Se7ensins, the PS4 can be modded online, BM and Pulse sell and do mods to accounts; on GTA V ONLINE. lol :thumbsup:
You're naive to take the word of a merchant at face value. I'm just letting you know that there aren't any public methods for running unsigned code on either console while connected to their respective online services. Pulse and Brown included.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Reaction score
Sin$
You're naive to take the word of a merchant at face value. I'm just letting you know that there aren't any public methods for running unsigned code on either console while connected to their respective online services. Pulse and Brown included.

So they can't mod your personal account or give you a cash recovery? I never said anything about "public" methods because there isn't one but I'm pretty sure there's private methods that Pulse and BM are using.

Too offtopic now, I stand by what I said. I'm here to learn, most of the stuff I know about gaming has come from Se7ensins.
No harm meant to anyone. :thumbsup:

Honorkush

Honorkush

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Pulse and brown cant do any online mods for next gen consoles if you think pulse's money drops on ps4 is done with a ps4 console your verry mistaken there is some type of exploit he uses hence why he cant modify your personal accounts level money drops on ps4 is nothing more than a exploit if anything some type of crossover glitch done via a jailbroken ps3 or just a glitch on the ps4 ......

Marvelous

Marvelous

(∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Grammar Nazi Stickied Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
I was an Admin with Chr0m3 for a little while on TheTechGay.com

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Legendary Veteran Programmer Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
Goodluck man, bunch of a******s because they can't stop it

Heathen Inferos

Heathen Inferos

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I have to go on the side of Take-Two Interactive here. If I sold one copy of my product to someone, and they were indefinitely selling illegal alterations thanks to that one product, I would want all of those earnings. I will admit to having done glitches and the like in the past - and rarely now - but because I chose to do that, I would take a future ban with a pinch of salt. For now, I, like many people on GTA, am a metaphorically-speaking criminal on the loose; they’ll either find me and sentence me however they please, or I’ll go undetected for the foreseeable future.

We all take a risk when we do something that is illegal. Complaining because we got our comeuppance is immature. If you’re going to take the risk, be prepared to be caught - if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

XeFalcon RGH

XeFalcon RGH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck man. Really hate to see that Take Two/Rockstar are still worrying about modders on a 5 year-old game. It's honestly pathetic. They made millions of dollars off of GTA V alone. Just leave the game to rest with all it's mods. Do you see Treyach or IW worrying this much about some guy making mods for their games? Nope. But Take Two...they take **** too far.

Makes no sense to sue someone when:
-RDR2 is around the corner
-Game is 5 years old
-Millions of dollars have been made off of GTA V
-The game devs are at fault

S

schitzotm

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck man. Really hate to see that Take Two/Rockstar are still worrying about modders on a 5 year-old game. It's honestly pathetic. They made millions of dollars off of GTA V alone. Just leave the game to rest with all it's mods. Do you see Treyach or IW worrying this much about some guy making mods for their games? Nope. But Take Two...they take **** too far.

Makes no sense to sue someone when:
-RDR2 is around the corner
-Game is 5 years old
-Millions of dollars have been made off of GTA V
-The game devs are at fault
Um rdr and gta arent even close to the same game. Gta is expected to see many more huge updates. Gta keeps touching the number 1 spot in yearly game sales after 5 years.
Gta is a rolling updated game. (Meaning there really would never need to be another the complete game could be changed via update. Map included)
Chrome was handed a cease and desist letter and in the terms of that c&d he was prohibited in altering game files in any manner including have others release them. In which he is now violating. Chrome leaves a digital signature in his code. Everyone does. It comes from their computer. Matching that to previous menus would be likely why the lawsuit is actually being mounted.
And fyi activision has filed lawsuits against game modders.
One can simply look at it this way. Say you have a job that pays you weekly. Lets say I made a made program that could capture your paycheck before you get it and move a portion of your money to my account. Is that ok? If so where do you work?
You and I both know that is not ok at all and if you figured out what was going on you would expect law enforcement to arrest me and the courts to rule in me paying you the money you lost back.
Now lets say I made the program but gave it others to use. If they caught me instead of the people using it you would still want me in jail as I made the program that resulted in your losses. You also would likely expect me to be ordered to pay you back as well.
No matter how much money someone make its still their money. And if someone illegally made it to where people werent paying you that money but instead were paying someone else for things you should be getting the money from you would also expect to be paid back.
So dont act like this is bad on rockstar.
If you genuinely feel this way then give me your bank account number and I will gladly take your money. Its the same no matter how you look at it or how much someone has made.
This argument about how old or how much money was made is so stupid.

Vegeta

Vegeta

宇宙のマスター
Super Moderators
VIP
MotM Trifecta Diamonds Are Forever
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I respect whenever someone does something for a community the way you have but you're trying to raise $25,000 for a problem you brought upon yourself. You've provided zero documentation or provided any credibility about your lawyer, court, and transportion fees. I'm not trying to call you out but it just seems like you're trying to capitalize on your troubles using the pity of the community.

You've made a boatload of money off of capitalizing on a publishers game and selling your mods and developing mods for the public and private sector, why cant you use those funds to fund your legal troubles. So many people in your "business" havent got caught or have remained quiet about their legal troubles, if any.

Again, not trying to seem like a **** head and I know nobody HAS to donate, but can you at least tell us a bit more about whats going on... Everything we know is through biased sources or strictly through news articles about the situation between you and Take Two.

Anyways, best of luck, I hope everything works out in your favor.

TheBoss2321

TheBoss2321

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
best of luck man i really hope nothing happens to you.

end of the day they're cash grabbing shetcards is the only reason why they're sueing because sadly people still buy them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register