Switching 32-Bit to 64-Bit...

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Tyler, Feb 6, 2010 with 12 replies and 174 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &

Ratings:
    Do I have to do a full fresh install? I just learned my mobo can support up to 8GB of ram, so I'd like to expand.

2. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    You have to do a fresh reformat/install. Even doing windows "upgrades" require being the same architecture (x86 vs x64).

3. OP
    Tyler

Tyler Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &

Ratings:
    Ah ok. I may stick to 3GB since I just got this install of Win7 all setup to my liking.

4. Mcdougle

Mcdougle Banned

Ratings:
    Can you tell me what your CPU is? The i*** CPU's usually would be better with 6GB RAM.

5. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Also.. just to let you know.. you wouldn't have been able to run the same programs you do now if you upgraded your system to 64bit. Every program is "bit-dependent" so to speak lol. Meaning.. you will need to find versions of your programs that are compatible with 64bit because you can not run 32bit programs on a 64bit OS. So you have to take that headache in to consideration as well.

6. Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire Retired Admin 4 Life Retired

Ratings:

Thats just....not right.... at all...

• Like Like x 1
  7. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Uhm.. how is that? Lol.. what's the point of having 64bit versions of programs if 32bit programs work on 64bit OS's like your implying?

I mean.. if we are talking about Windows strictly then i guess you would be right with the exception of anti-virus programs.. But still.. finding drivers for the 64bit OS he would be using would be a headache. Since 32bit drivers won't work on 64bit.. so..

8. Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Because you have to delve into the deep ends of the internet to find drivers...

9. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
    [​IMG]

You just have to know if your program was x64 or x86 if you ever need to do something in its folder

So other than the occasional google search for "xxxx driver 64 bit" you NEVER have issues lol

10. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I don't understand that part. Can you clarify? Not looking for a fight.. i just want to understand your point.

11. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
    32 bit programs work, and get installed into their own separate folder (Program Files (x86)) and they run like any other program, the ONLY difference is that if you had to edit something inside of the program folder you would need to know if it is x64 or x86

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Actually MOST programs get installed there regardless. Like if it has both a 32-bit and 64-bit version, they will be both installed to the (x86) directory.

@LP640, the big difference is memory limitations of around 3.5gb for 32-bit, while 64-bit has a much higher limitation. 32-bit programs can work just fine on 64-bit systems, but 64-bit programs can not work on 32-bit systems. While there are noticeable speed differences between the two (Programs take SLIGHTLY longer to startup on 64-bit systems, as was proven in several tests), the memory advantage is well worth is since most of the time that difference is usually in milliseconds.
    Most modern drivers now come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, usually in the same installer. So unless the device is old, whatever driver package you download for it will have the correct version regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  13. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Nice info. I understand it now. Guess i was a little mixed up on the compatibility of 32bit programs on 64bit OS's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.