What's new

Discussion [Suggestion] Acquiring Work Tower and Need Help

B

Bayzer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellow sinners!

Thought I would come to the place with all the resources to ask a few questions regarding a PC I may be acquiring.

My company got acquired last December and with that have moved to standard business equipment. Being a developer, I was one of the few that actually had a decent machine, but due to standards I am no longer able to use it and have moved to a business laptop. Eventually the company will be "auctioning" off these machines and I was looking to snag the tower.

At home, I do not have any sort of personal computer. I have had a few laptops in the past but been unwilling to fix them since they have broken. This PC would be used as an all-purpose machine, as well as some light gaming. My plan is to acquire the PC and use it as-is for the time being, and then upgrade when necessary. Below I will list the specs to the best of my ability and hopefully you can give some insight or direction on where to go from there.

Build: Dell Precision T1700
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz (C220 Chipset according to Dell)
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz (Not sure on brand or clock as I haven't opened the tower)
HDD: 1 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 1TB HDD (Raid 0)
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K620

I am able to acquire a graphics card free of charge from a friend (I believe it's a GTX 760/780) which I would pop into the tower, however, was wondering if that'll even be supported being a business line machine, or if I'll need to upgrade the MB in order to support that.

Over time I will likely upgrade, but am looking for the least possible investment into a machine at this time. Any suggestions or insight will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
H

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
Yes, everything should work flawlessly with the new GPU.

P

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Yes, everything should work flawlessly with the new GPU.
As long as the PSU can handle it & has the connectors.

The 780 draws a big chunk of power & it requires beefy PSU with lots of connectors.

Top Bottom