Stolen Account

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by 1337Konane, Jan 2, 2009 with 26 replies and 1,178 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I had my account stolen about a month ago, I notified M$ of the problem immediately and they told me that they would look into the issue. After about two weeks had passed I assumed they couldn't do anything and the account was lost forever.

Then, about a week ago I received an email from M$ stating that the Microsoft Investigation Team was in fact looking into the problem and put a lock on the stolen account, stopping the thief from accessing the account.

At this point I still had little hope for the problem resolving itself, but yesterday I received an unusual email from Xbox Live. The stolen account had it's GamerTag changed, making it almost impossible for M$ to track down. But as of January 1st, 2009 the accounts Xbox Live Subscription officially expired, and notification was sent to my alternate email. Like most emails from Xbox Live they are addressed to the GamerTag, except this time it wasnt addressed to my original GamerTag, it was addressed to the newly changed name.

Using the newly acquired GamerTag I used [Click here to view the link] to search the GamerTag, sure enough it was my account. The same avatar I had created, same games played, same number of gamer score, everything was the same. The only changed information was the personal info/ bio and there was one new played games and some extra gamer score from that one game. Other than that it was my same old account.

Now, that I've probably bored you with my life story I want to know if there is any way that M$ can reset the password to this account and have it returned to it's rightful owner. Thanks for reading and hope you can help me out.

2. adahalo

adahalo Contributor

Ratings:
    Could you explain how it was stolen? If you got phished then its your fault for wanting free microsoft points.

And you should of put a passcode on your XBL account.

3. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Premium <3 VIP

Ratings:
    u yourself can reset the password on xbox.com

4. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The account was recovered on another Xbox, and when I tried to recover the GamerTag the email/password didn't work.

I'm guessing all the personal information was changed, including the email and the GamerTag itself. But what im saying is that I know what the GamerTag was changed to so is there anyway that I can tell M$ that the account was originally mine and get the email/password reset?

5. Headshots 1125

Headshots 1125 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Passcodes ONLY work on the 360 its set on. I tried it already by recovering on my friend's 360. Upon recovery it never says it needs a passcode.

6. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Premium <3 VIP

Ratings:
    yes, but im ganna tell you to get a couple beers ready because its ganna take a while for them to consider, then clarify then change the info.

7. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well, I called M$ after about a month of waiting and they told me that a supervisor of the Xbox Live Investigation Team are considering the issue and are supposed to call within the next 5 business days, hopefully this will all workout.

I also have another related question about recovering GamerTag. When your prompted to put in the email/password it tells you to put in the email/password for the account that the GamerTag was originally created with. So if the email/password was at some point changed withiin the account managment tab would you use the new email/password or do you HAVE to use the one that the GamerTag was created from?

8. zZ LUCKY Zz

zZ LUCKY Zz Premium Premium

Ratings:
    You are pretty much screwed, the theif changed all of the info the pass and the email address its self. If ms locked the accout even when u get it back ms will not unlock it. Now just cancel the cc that is on it make sure there is no charges and go on with your life and start a new account. It sucks and has happend to alot of us. Unforatantly when mine got stollen he charge 500 ms points onto it but i did get the money back after 6 months fighting with microsoft.

9. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Fortunately for me I didn't use a credit card with my account.

10. zZ LUCKY Zz

Ratings:
    Yeah then your not going to get it back because for most people that is there only way that they can get there acccount back is by knowing the cc info and number

11. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Are there any other ways to prove that an account belongs to you? If I can get onto the email wont that be enough info to prove that the account is mine?

12. zZ LUCKY Zz

Ratings:
    if you can get onto the email then u can recover the account, but no becuase now for all Microsoft knows is that your trying to steel this account

13. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link] is a pic of my account before it was stolen. (note the avatar and gamerscore)
    [Click here to view the link] is my same account that was stolen only with a name change and some extra gamer score. My original account had 11065GS, the stolen one has 11475GS, the only game played since it was stolen was Gears of War 2 which I didn't have at the time.

He managed to get 410GS from the game, so whats 11475-410 = 11065GS which is undoubtedly my account. Not to mention I own every game on the played games list. I know this isn't enough proof for M$ but I'm showing you that I'm not a thief and this is a legit issue.

14. zZ LUCKY Zz

Ratings:
    I know its your account but u can prove it so just move on and start a new account

15. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I've already done that, up until about a day ago I had already given up on the account and moved on. But the fact that I received that email and recontacted M$ and having them say they were indeed looking into the issue gave me some hope.

I've also managed to track down the person responsible, I know a considerable amount of information about him (name, age, date of birth, locale, photo, email, multiple GamerTags) do you think any of this info will prove useful?

16. ToaD

ToaD Enthusiast

Ratings:
    ...take your account back.
    Or take his account.

What does he go by on XBL?

17. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I can't take mine back because he changed the password for my email, and I cant take his because I don't know his password for his email, and I wouldn't take his because I don't steal account. I wanted to know if any of this information would be useful for M$ to know or should I try contacting him and try and convince him to give the info back?

I just thought about something, if I wasn't the original owner of the account why would M$ send me an emailing saying that the Xbox Live had expired and more time needs to be purchased. I mean the fact I received that email from M$ should be proof enough that I'm the rightful owner and there is no possible way that kind of information gets sent out to the wrong person. If I wasn't the one who created the account I shouldn't have recieced that email, correct?

18. zZ LUCKY Zz

Ratings:
    you probably received a email becuase you gave it to them to contact you

19. OP
    1337Konane

1337Konane Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The fact still remains the same, why would they have sent that sort of an email to someone unless they knew it was the owner of the account? And, the fact that the email addressed me as the changed name of my stolen account only further signifies that they know the account is mine. If the account didn't belong to me I wouldn't have received that email, plain and simple.

20. Scare Croe

Scare Croe Premium Premium

Ratings:
    So he changed the GT, the email address and the Password.
    You are still getting e-mails regarding the Stolen account, and in the e-mails the newly changed GT is displayed?

If this is so, then you know that the tag is still Linked to your original E-mail address, and you have proof, via the e-mail, that the Account in question was at least, in one point of time, in your possesion. I would call MS and say that your account was stolen, and you know the original GT And E-mail and what the Tag has been changed to, unfortunately the Pass has been changed and you have Account information in your E-mail inbox to prove your original ownership of the account. see where that gets you. If you want to wait till the Supervisor calls you, then that would make things alot better because they can actually help you with stuff. Everyone else at those stupid call centers have problems understanding the mere problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.