• Thread starter sixty4
  • Start date
  • Views 484
sixty4

sixty4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wallpaper_sullust_1920x1080.jpg

Yes, I know the beta is not over yet. But so far I'm enjoying the game. However, I did run into some unfair moments, glitches, and some net code issues. This is expected since this isn't the final game. With Frostbite engine being complex as it is, DICE have their hands full to fix the issues before the game releases. With Battlefield 4 having such a disastrous launch, I'm hoping Battlefront doesn't follow the same path. I should express my opinions on the Star Wars: Battlefront Beta, so without further ado, lets begin.

Moving on into gameplay, there is a few balance tweaks I would make to the weapons and others, like the personal shield is a little too long, and the cool down is too short. I would also slightly increase the cool down on the Cycle Rifle, I mean, it does very high damage, I am talking about 1 shot 1 kill, and is a bit to much. Weak spots on vehicles is a other thing I would like to see, I mean, if the Empire is dominating the Rebels, the Rebels have a very low chance of taking out the AT-AT's because of the no weak spots and the super long time to destroy, and this goes for all vehicles, like if a X-Wing is doing strafing runs on you, when he or she is turning around, maybe if you hit the back with the right amount of shots, it could damage the X-Wing good enough to make it retreat.

And with the game, there is quite a few netcode issues in the game, like enemy's would spawn behind or in front of you, making some easy kills. Also, as a Imperial, I noticed most of the pickups are behind me, so I would have to go back, pick up a smart rocket or something else, go back to the warzone to kill someone with it, witch kind of sucks. Another thing I disliked witch some of you may disagree, but there is no advantage to playing in first person. And I know I will always play this game in third person, mainly because of the better FOV, no flinching when getting shot, and the easier, better accuracy, and it is just a amazing game to play in third person.

Moving towards some of the obvious visual bugs and glitches, such as the dead characters resembling floating statues. While it was funny to see Luke Skywalker look like a floating ice dancer, is it definitely a bug to that needs to be fixed. Another thing is with Darth Vader's cloak, it seems to jerk around up and down, witch is something that needs to be fixed, especially with a license of Star Wars. Another thing is when a hero and a villain's light saber collides and the player does a heavy attack at the same time, the animation jacks up and the light sabers look like they are not touching at all, and when a hero/villain dies, they just take a knee, then disappear into thin air, witch, is of course, is weird and I know the hero and the villain cant really die, for obvious reasons, but instead of them disappearing, I think a teleport or a force jump would look better.

Some other things were Darth Vader's voice actor, who does not sound or say things like Darth Vader, like "Nothing can stop my lightsaber," is nothing what Darth Vader says, it is just goofy, and if you played the beta, you will know that Vader's voice actor is really...dumb. Some other small ones were like the HUD flashing and going into cutscenes and at times in the victory and loudout screens. Speaking of the HUD, I really like the HUD, but I think the Star Cards are a little too big. Now I know nothing about graphic design, but I do know it needs to be smaller. The kill feed is in the middle right of you screen, witch is a very awkward place to put it, and it should be moved to the top right, and the health bar is a little to big when you get hit.

And finally, some things that are not needed, but I would like to see. For example, I would like more than one buddy to spawn on, this is most likely because I play too much Battlefield, but it is something that should be added. Of course, custom servers, its a huge disadvantage to the PC community, and being in that community, I really want custom severs, even though they wont come, I still would like for a quick change. And most important, a stable launch, I recommend for DICE and Visceral to take some of Battlefield's netcode and put it into Battlefront, I really want a stable launch, especially with how Battlefield 4's launch was.

Lets put all of the negatives out of the way, and tell you about my personal experience. I had a lot of fun in the Beta, I was playing with my friend and it is a very enjoyable game, I had the most fun playing as Vader or Luke Skywalker slicing my enemies and riding in the AT-AT. You have the basic weapons of any first person shooter, a rifle, a pistol, a grenade, and some Star Cards, where you can choose you characters special abilities, like jet packs and the personal shield, witch saved me and my enemy's life a lot. With the weapons, you basically aim and shoot, you have unlimited ammo, but you do have a cool down, so it is best to aim for the head and not take on multiple guys at once. The game mode I played was mostly Walker Assault on Hoth witch was sure fun, and the survival mode I loved the most, even though the beta did not include all 15 waves, it was fun playing with just the few we got, but it did get very challenging as you go on, witch is why I recommend bringing a friend. The hero's and villain's are fun to play as, being Darth Vader slicing and dicing the rebels and force choking them is a lot of fun to do.

Anyway, these are my opinions on the Star Wars: Battlefront, I am so stoked for this game, I hope DICE takes these ideas into consideration, and fix the glitches and bugs, and of course, make a stable launch.

Here is some gameplay of the beta by BattlefrontUpdates
youtube.com/battlefrontupdates

breadstick

breadstick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well put.

As for me I did not dig that deep in the game since it's a beta and I'm just playing to get the basics (very glad I did). Overall seems like a great start. Rifles do need a bit of a cool down, I found myself pulling it out every chance I got as it does 90% damage. There are bullets flying constantly since there is no ammo, just a short cool down so there's a strong chance that if you fire at someone who's under fire they will die, not to mention the one shot kill if you hit them in the head which is reasonable.

One thing I believe they need to change/fix is when you beat down. If you are running or sprinting and beat down (press right stick down), it completely stops you from moving. I did not try to use it on anyone, like I said I was just figuring out the basics in my first few games but once I realized it halted your movement I did not have any plans on using it at close range. Too much risk if you miss.

Other than that they do need to fix the spawn system. On walker assault I was sitting back with my rifle and let a few team mates run up to see if they could draw fire, and doing so caused 5+ to spawn on top of me. Nearly 4 in front of me and 2+ behind me. Took one shot and used my personal shield to try and make an escape but was overcome by fire in 2 or less seconds, nothing I could do. This has happened only a few times and doesn't seem that bad, but when I think about how it was only a few hours of play, I realized its definitely an issue in the long term.

Overall I'd say this beta is an 8-8.5/10. The more I play the more I enjoy it. Always lose as rebels on walker assault though, trying to figure out how to win

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Premium
Premium
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
I really wish there was more to the beta. Blops 3 had a much better one. With daily unlocks and a **** ton of weapons. Yeah I know battlefront was a beta that was only used as a stress tester, but it is the closest thing they're going to have to a demo.

Top Bottom