stable enough?

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Haxalot88, Jan 11, 2009 with 17 replies and 382 views.

1. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Alright so here's what i need to know. I would like to keep on using this OS as my primary OS, but is it stable enough to do so? I just upgraded to this from xp, and I don't want to have a dual-boot system going on.
    So what should i use as my primary OS? XP or 7?

2. Scar

Scar Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I just installed it this morning but it seems great so far... no hiccups yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    It's pretty stable. I haven't had any problems and I've used it on two different machines. It's really your call whether you want to use it as your primary OS or not. I like it, and I'm really starting to get used to it, I didn't like the new taskbar at first, but it's really growing on me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. (Corndog)

(Corndog) Premium Premium

Ratings:
    I've only seen one problem, and that was a crash on my vid card driver. but that only happened once and i know what caused it....So in my case i see nothing for with it.

5. cacrawford

cacrawford Enthusiast

Ratings:
    does anyone have any screenshots of what it looks like and the functionality of it?
    if so im curious!

6. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    I'm also a curious to how Windows 7 compares to that of Vista and XP. I'm going to try it out pretty soon. With that said, I can't tell you if it's better than XP but I will say that I've heard great things about it from several people and I hear it's like Vista without all the glitches.

• Like Like x 1
  7. knockem

knockem Contributor

Ratings:
    Windows 7 is great... the version IO had had a wallpaper changer built in which was pretty cool and I didn't have one problem with it.. I say its much better then xp.. But I also say vista is better then xp. Windows 7 and vista are pretty similar a few changes but nothing like the change from xp to vista

8. Holy Ownage

Holy Ownage Getting There

Ratings:
    For some reason, t'is not letting me past the window after you sign in with your Live_ID.

9. cacrawford

cacrawford Enthusiast

Ratings:
    can someone put a screenshot of it on here
    im sure it works great from what i hear but im curious on the desktop layout

10. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. cacrawford

cacrawford Enthusiast

Ratings:
    wow the visuals dont look at all different from vista
    hmmmmmmmm
    it better work better than vista!

12. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    The only major changes are the memory usage, and the taskbar with icons only and no window title. There's also some changes to explorer, and the UAC is slightly less aggressive. I really haven't had any problems with it.

13. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I was referring to explorer as in windows explorer, as in the file manager used by windows, for example your "my documents" window is an explorer window. IE8 is irrelevant to that.

14. cacrawford

cacrawford Enthusiast

Ratings:
    im trying it out right now at school and it seems to be great im exited for the real thing to come out :smile:
    its either that or a mac book pro now :smile:

15. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    ^ or you could get a MacBook pro and put Windows 7 on it as well.

16. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    old post i know, not making new thread for something that is here, pointless..

But I need to know, if like every program (or most all) that are from/used by Windows Vista. I don't want to get Windows 7 and not be able to run programs and crap, and what about games, like CoD4, and Vista games etc..

17. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    You should be fine with most programs. Some programs, all you have to do is run in compatibility mode and they work fine. Some just won't work, and you're going to have to deal with that. Take a look at this: [Click here to view the link]

To run CoD4, take a look at this.
    [Click here to view the link]

18. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    So I pretty much can? I'm not an intense gamer, that one said Steam worked, but Is Windows Vista RTM, are all the programs there going to work for Windows 7?

I do multipletask hella lot though heh, I have it on my other pc, so I guess I could test programs there.

oh an by the way, do I have to have Windows 7 64 bit? What will 64 bit do, I'm not sure what the RAM specifications are on it and stuff.