What's new

Discussion Sony To Compensate PSN Users For Downtime, Stolen Data?

I

iDewky

Banned
Reaction score
It’s really not been a great week for Sony. The news that their PlayStation Network had been hacked was bad enough, but then the Japanese electronics giant was forced to tell its 70 million users that their personal data, and even their credit card details may have been stolen.

Once users had finished cancelling every card they’d ever even thought of attaching to PSN, the thoughts then turned to compensation. Just what will Sony do to make things right? According to a statement from Sony, they’re working on something – but they’re not letting on just what they’ll be doing to appease us.

PS3-Network-Down-Update-Sony-Playstation-Twitter-Update-March-1-2010-300x213.jpg

In the company’s latest Q&A session regarding the current problems, Sony did its best to ease players’ fears for their saved game data and trophies by assuring them that their data will simply re-sync as soon as PSN is brought back online. But what about those users who subscribe to online games such as DC Universe Online? According to Ars Technica, Sony is working on a ‘make good’ plan.

"To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio," SOE said in a statement. "We are also working on a ‘make good’ plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums."

The same goes for PSN as a whole and streaming service Qriocity. Seybold said that Sony is "evaluating ways to show appreciation" to users for the downtime, but specifics as to how that will be done are currently unavailable.

Ars Technica also notes that, according to gaming blog Kotaku, Sony has brought the FBI into the investigation into what’s happened. We’re sure that will help the vultures as they seek to sue Sony, too.

That's not good enough... <_<

J

Jimi Hendrix

Brick, where'd you get a hand grenade?
Reaction score
Sony should be begging users not to sell their PS3s, special events do not give this monumental catastrophe justice. If parents were aware of whats happening there would be a MASSIVE s*** storm, but i doubt the kids themselves know the full extent of the situation. Sony are definately paying to keep this out of the press.

M

MarshallMathers

Banned
Reaction score
My suggestion?

15% off the Xbox 360 seems like a good "reward"

R

Riku

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its probably gonna be free Playstation Plus memberships for a month or two for regular PSN user. PSN credit for Playstation Plus users and a free 3 months for DC Universe players. Or they are just going to have free DLC for a day

Z

z6a

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think getting your personal info exploited should be worth alot more. <_<

To be honest I think Sony treat is as a joke.

EDIT: 100 posts. :biggrin:

G

Gallows

VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Lmao, we "Sony" allowed your personal information get compromised, and the PSN was off line for weeks. But it's okay, cause we will give you some free realms and a few "special" events. Oh Sony, how about sending us a check for $100?

J

Josef Stalin

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Why would they pau for downtime psn is free...

They better compensate people for their personal information being stolen
though.

T

theriot31cubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they don't give me PSN Cash im gonna Email them saying i had X amount in it so they refund me the PSN money that i never had! hehe :tongue:h34r:

K

K3LL0GSkid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vmXrFPOxA
Reaction score
Sony better send me some chocolate chip cookies and an im sorry for screwing up card :smile:

I

II injections

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If MS was smart, shouldn't they drop the price of their consoles by 15-20%? Many people will convert over.

R

Riku

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they don't give me PSN Cash im gonna Email them saying i had X amount in it so they refund me the PSN money that i never had! hehe :tongue:h34r:
you do realize they can probably pull up your PSN cash history and see you never had the amount you said you had

T

theriot31cubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you do realize they can probably pull up your PSN cash history and see you never had the amount you said you had

Ya, i thought of that, but hey, its worth a try..

B

Board Message

Getting There
Reaction score
Is that the best you can do.. Free Realms..

/facepalm

K

KN1GHTH4WK429

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats not compensation to having your credit card stolen and used

i had to cancel my credit card and i had to go to the bank(it was a debt/credit card) and raise hell with them about the whole incident, that alone is worth $1000 in time spent, and stress, which all could have been avoided if sony encrypted our personal data on their servers

frankly i believe every PSN user should be getting payment in REAL money NOT fricken "free realms" for their crappy network

hell im going to be surprised if people still use PSN after this cause i know if this happened to xbox live, microsoft will be hurting right now

B

BeansTown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sony should be begging users not to sell their PS3s, special events do not give this monumental catastrophe justice. If parents were aware of whats happening there would be a MASSIVE s*** storm, but i doubt the kids themselves know the full extent of the situation. Sony are definately paying to keep this out of the press.
lolz u kids i dont know what u mean outta the press this was on bbc and cnn a cpl days ago, and parents are aware if they watch the news mayb there thanking the hackers cuz there lil kids cant be consumed by internet gaming :blink: ?

J

Jimi Hendrix

Brick, where'd you get a hand grenade?
Reaction score
lolz u kids i dont know what u mean outta the press this was on bbc and cnn a cpl days ago, and parents are aware if they watch the news mayb there thanking the hackers cuz there lil kids cant be consumed by internet gaming :blink: ?
Yeah i don't appreciate being called a kid by someone who spells like an autistic 5 year old. I regularly watch the news and i haven't seen it on the tv or in newspapers yet, so i've come to the assumption that somethings going on. If you claim you have seen it on the enws then i take it back.

W

Wiz

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like s*** if you ask me. No need for compensation considering alot of people have already traded or sold their ps3's lmao.

Top Bottom