Something weird on boot.

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by bungiekiller980, Jan 21, 2009 with 3 replies and 190 views.

1. bungiekiller980

bungiekiller980 Newbie

Ratings:
    Okay i don't know what the screen is called when you boot its usually blue and its before the themable bootscreen. it has your <setup> <boot menu> ect. But i never timed it before my third attempt at a linux distro, but i know it was around 10 seconds. Now it takes 2 minutes 36 seconds and 54 milli seconds give or take a few. Any idea what causes this not a old pc it has 3 gigs ram and 640 gigabytes hardrive space on its 2 hardrives (320 each [one for recovery]). Quad proccessor so is there a fix for this?

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    As long as it does boot there really isn't a problem. I suppose you could try reformatting and installing it again, which really shouldn't be that big of a deal if you just installed it in the first place.

3. OP
    bungiekiller980

bungiekiller980 Newbie

Ratings:
    its just annoying because i have two systems so i cant turn it on and take a shower and come back i have to go to the boot menu.

4. the_xfactor_9999

the_xfactor_9999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    well, it seems like you may have did something to grub without really thinking about it......2 min is a long time for a computer with 3 gigs of ram. i have 4 gigs and mine boots really fast. i do know thought that some computers do have a problem with the booting. you may have to do a search on your motherboard (google it), then see if there is a fix. i had to do that with my old lenovo laptop. it took like 5 min to boot that damned thing till i figured out that linux was having a hard time with the hardware detection and all i had to do was change some things in grub. after that i was into some good boot times.