• Thread starter FiL7HY
  • Start date
  • Views 429
F

FiL7HY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I was just wondering what Wattage soldering iron should someone get to do Xbox or any electrical soldering. I got a 45W and to say the less it was a fail.
Please don't just randomly answer could I have someone answer who has soldered before and succeeded. Also what kind of solder ive been using 0.6mm rosin core it seems to work fine.

M

masterle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
45 watts should be fine. I think the biggest thing you probably want is solder flux. It helps alot and makes the soldering process so much easier.

xXShAdOvVXx

xXShAdOvVXx

<(^_^)>
Reaction score
Sin$
I personally got a 25w soldering iron, because the higher it is the more likely you are going to burn something unless you watch it carefully... :wink:

I was just wondering what Wattage soldering iron should someone get to do Xbox or any electrical soldering. I got a 45W and to say the less it was a fail.
Please don't just randomly answer could I have someone answer who has soldered before and succeeded. Also what kind of solder ive been using 0.6mm rosin core it seems to work fine.

That solder should be fine, and if you are new at soldering I recommend 25w unless you want to get an expensive electric one

One like this is fine
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3086618

F

FiL7HY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yea my only complain with the one I have is the tip is really big and a little ruined already. So I was going to buy a 20/25. And could someone link me to soldering techniques they used.

I

ipollesion

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey man, just got to Radio Shack get their 25watt solder iron, flux paste, rosin core solder, and desoldering braid, that's all you need cost me about $26.50 for all this.

Cheapo but worth it.

L

LiarInGlass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I wouldn't use a 45W Iron for Xbox.

I use a 25W and I would have preferred a 15W. You can do it with a 45W, but I wouldn't use it since that's a bit much in my opinion.

You DO NOT need Flux if you are using Rosin Core Solder. I don't know how many times to tell people this, just because Flux is spouted around. You don't need it with Rosin Core solder. There's a reason why ROSIN in it's it's name..

F

FiL7HY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright thanks guys and any techniques, Soldering a Cat 5 cable just didn't go well :frown: . Sounds bad but I tried on old motherboards just not getting it to work for me.

JoshGAMER474

JoshGAMER474

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
The soldering the wires? Just let the Iron heat up for a couple of minutes, then It should hot enough to melt the Solder.

Top Bottom
Login
Register