• Thread starter Agent_D
  • Start date
  • Views 11,082
A

Agent_D

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys,

I've got a stock Xbox here whose disc drive doesn't read discs.

Does anybody know what my options are? I've had a hard time finding any threads that explain what to do in this specific situation.

I have an IDE to USB adapter, if that helps me at all.

Thanks!

Cynder

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
AzzidReign Jr Mythical Veteran Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys,

I've got a stock Xbox here whose disc drive doesn't read discs.

Does anybody know what my options are? I've had a hard time finding any threads that explain what to do in this specific situation.

I have an IDE to USB adapter, if that helps me at all.

Thanks!

You can open the xbox and see what Disk drive it has, and just buy a working one online.

Then just slap it in and it should work

Last edited:
Spennyvsspenny

Spennyvsspenny

Reaction score
Sin$
Check out YouTube I remember watching a guy clean the lens/eye with alcohol and with good results!
Otherwise eBay for new lens/eye or find a cheap or broken Xbox with a good disc drive!

SHiiFT

SHiiFT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I think he was asking for help as far as soft modding the system so he can play games from a drive. Not what to do about the drive.

If I knew more about soft modding xbox's I would try to help.

Spennyvsspenny

Spennyvsspenny

Reaction score
Sin$
I can only assume that the disc drive had reading trouble as its in the title of the thread, and was the first thing he said in his post.
I don't see any other questions....

Spennyvsspenny

Spennyvsspenny

Reaction score
Sin$
Without being able to read a disc such as splinter cell or agent under fire, for reasons obviously being to circumvent the systems security to install a third party operating system (soft modding)
I would recommend fixing the disc drive or replacing the parts that don't work (possibly lens/eye).
A stock Xbox can only read "games" from a disc so without fixing the reading issue i don't know of a way to soft mod.
Disc drive repairs are easy!
You can take any Xbox disc drive and just swap it with yours all versions of motherboard work with all disc drive types.
Even if you soft mod you will still have a reading problem.

T

ToXZiN 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can find a friend with a hard modded xbox and hotswap your HDD while using a Hexen disc... google "Xbox Hotswap HDD Tutorial"

A

Agent_D

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm going to resurrect this just to say that I ended up swapping in a working DVD drive from another Xbox, completing the softmod, and then swapped them back.

Much love.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
First, try to disassemble it and clean it. Lense too. Then you consider more drastic options. I had PS2 with reading problems, all i needed is a cleaning.

corpse

corpse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes I would first try to fix the disk drive. I had a 1.0 xbox since like 2007 that had what I thought to be a broken disk drive (wouldnt read anything). I found a tutorial on youtube to fix it, and it worked. Look up "laser pot tweak". If your disk drive won't open, then you can disassemble your xbox, take the top off the disk drive, and put in the disk manually.

If you have an old computer with IDE you can still do it. You have to hot swap your Xbox HDD and plug it into your PC, then read the drive with Xplorer 360. If you do this method I suggest windows XP or W7 to avoid headaches. Once you have your xbox HDD open in Xplorer360 you would simply place the unleashx/evox dashboard manually. Your drive in Xplorer360 will come up as partition 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. These translate to to C, E, F, X, Y, and Z. However, they aren't in order. So what you do to find the correct drive is open them 1 by 1, and see which has "UDATA" and "TDATA" folders 1st. This is your E drive. Next go through them 1 by 1 again and find dashboard files. It will look like a big list of random stuff usually having an "Audio" folder, and Xboxdash.xbe. This is your C drive. Now you would just get someone to send you their C drive and E drive from their modded xbox, then place the files accordingly. I have done this to "bricked" xbox's in the past, works great. If you are able to do this let me know in a PM, I will help if you need.

Top Bottom
Login
Register