Tutorial How to Softmod without Action Replay using a blank CD

L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How to Softmod your Xbox without Action Replay
You will not need 007, Splinter Cell or MechAssault

If you have Splinter Cell, 007, MechAssault, or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, there is a much easier method (Softmodding the Original Xbox super easy) where you do not need Action Replay by using a USB adapter, a flash drive, and Xplorer360. If you don't have the above games, then continue on with this method.

How to Softmod Your Xbox Using XboxHDM (Ndure)

Requirements

What you get from this mod
  • UnleashX as a duel boot dashboard
  • The ability to boot the regular M$ dashboard
  • You will be able to FTP to Xbox
  • You will be able to run homebrew software
  • You will be able to run "game backups" from the hdd

This tutorial was written by Textbook and uses tools that Textbook did not make. He takes no credit for any of these, and gives full credit to the authors. All Textbook did was re-write the method involved in softmodding the Xbox using certain tools. This method would not be possible if we didn’t have many dedicated people in the Xbox-Scene. Although there are many people who helped this method become possible, the big names stand out and I feel they need to be credited. A huge thanks is given to ldots, kingroach, DaddyJ, eh/ndure protagonist, Cio, Krayzie, angerwound, pedros pad, devz3ro, and any other softmod people I missed. Without them, this would not be possible.

First of all, it is HIGHLY recommended that you read the following threads:
The Art of Hotswapping (DaddyJ)
XboxHDM For Dummies (Kingroach)

**NOTE – The creator of this tutorial, Textbook, nor LD50, Call of Duty 4 Glitches, Halo 3 Glitches, and Rainbow Six Glitches or any of its members are responsible for any damage that may be caused while attempting anything in this tutorial.
If you attempt in doing this, you do so at your own risk.
If something gets broken, it’s only your own fault and you should not blame anybody. Please notice that according to ANSI standards, hotswapping is not considered safe and is therefore only recommended if you can’t find another way to modify your Xbox. For more information on the technical details and safety of hotswapping, please read DaddyJ's FAQ titled "The Art of Hotswapping" **

For those of you that are a little unsure how to do anything in this tut, I recommend making a backup image of your Xbox HDD using xplorer360 (it works with the og Xbox 1); this way if you mess up you can just rewrite the image back on to the Xbox HDD and it will be like nothing happened.

Editing Timeout Value
We will increase the amount of time that XboxHDM will stay at its menu. By default, it is only set to stay at the menu for 5 minutes before entering into VGA Mode. We will increase this time to 10 minutes. To do this, locate the following file in your XboxHDM folder: xboxhdm/linux/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

Right-click on this and choose to Open with, and choose notepad. Change the timeout value from 300 to 600.
qldBgXT.png

Setting up Ndure
Use WinRAR to extract the archive you downloaded. When extracted, there should be 4 files: Ndure 3.0.exe, Ndure Installer 3.nfo, Ndure Installer 3.txt, and a Readme.pdf. I highly suggest reading the Readme, as most of this tutorial is based off of Kingroach’s provided information in that Readme.

Double-click on the Ndure 3.0.exe with the Xbox 360 logo to run the program, and hit Next. You should see this screen.
finalndure.jpg

Ndure Options
First, I will briefly explain what each option does.
  • Basic Files - These are the basic files and are required for the softmod to function.
  • Retail Files - These are the files necessary so that you can have MS Dash access. Most people should leave this checkmarked, the only people who would not need this are people who do not have Xbox LIVE and have no need for the memory and music functions of the MS Dash. You don’t gain anything by leaving this box unmarked, so you might as well include it.
  • Shadow C - Recommended for all users, because it prevents your Xbox from dash updates overwriting the softmod.

NKPatcher Options

• NKP .67 - Use this if you have a hard drive over 200 gb, this will create a G partition.
  • NKP RGB - Use this if you are going to use the Xbox primarily with VGA output on a computer monitor (Only works with Focus video encoders)
  • NKP Progressive - This forces 480p for anything that attempts to run in 480i.
  • Kernel Specific Fonts - These fonts are designed to work exclusively with a certain kernel version. It is recommended to use a kernel specific font, as it should prevent any problems and provide an incredible level of stability.
  • Default boot xonlinedashconsole - Enabling this option will set up the dualboot feature. When the Xbox is powered on by using the eject button, and the softmod detects an open disc tray, it will boot to the Xbox LIVE Online Dash. In this screen, you can manage all of your network settings, as well as manage Xbox LIVE accounts.
  • UDDAE - This is a “backdoor” rescue dash that is based off of the Easter Egg Exploit, the uberdash, and an audio exploit. The thing about UDDAE is it allows you to completely turn off your softmod, going to a retail, unmodded state. Now, once your softmod is deactivated, how are you going to activate it? In order to switch it back on, we need to change some files around on the Xbox, and we can't mess with the files in an unmodded state. Basically, the problem lies in we need to have it modded in order to 'turn on' the mod. Which really makes no sense. This is where UDDAE comes to the rescue. Even with the softmod deactivated, we have a way to run homebrew code through a set of actions in the MS Dashboard. While this is a great feature for advanced users, it will not be used by the average user, but it doesn’t hurt anybody by installing it. If you are interested in this, you can read up on SCEEE HERE and UDDAE HERE.
  • Ndure Toolset - This is a set of tools designed by kingroach to help with your EEPROM backups and other maintenance. It is basically a simple menu that helps you to protect your softmod and keep it running smooth and provides you with the information needed to save your Xbox if anything goes wrong. Just another way kingroach looks out for his users and wants to make them feel safe. While I have never personally used this, I would recommend installing this.
  • Create XBOXHDM Installer – Obviously, we want this enabled, as this entire tutorial is for installing NDURE with XboxHDM.

My Preferences
My Setup goes like this: (X equals a checkmark/tick)
X Basic Files
X Retail Files
X Add ShadowC
+ Kernel Specific Fonts
X 4034 (You would choose the number of your kernel that you found using System Info at the beginning of this tutorial – I told you to write it down)
X Default boot xonlinedash console (because I have Xbox LIVE)
+ UDDAE
X Add UDDAE
+ Select Kernel Specific ST.DB
X 4034 (You would choose the number of your kernel that you found using System Info at the beginning of this tutorial – I told you to write it down)
X Add NDURE Toolset
X Create XBOXHDM Installer

options.png

WARNING: DO NOT COPY MY PICTURE EXACTLY, IT IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE

Under “Kernel Specific Fonts” and “UDDAE’s Select Kernel Specific ST.DB”, I chose 4034 because that was my kernel version when I looked it up in the Xbox System Info. Please select your own Kernel versions for these options, because picking the wrong version will result in a nonworking Xbox.

After selecting all the options correctly, hit Next and you will be asked where to save your NDURE folder.

You will want to save it to /xboxhdm/linux/, which is wherever you extracted your XboxHDM ZIP archive you downloaded earlier. Hit Install and wait for it to finish. When it is finished, the last line will say “Completed” and you can hit Next, then Finish to close out of Ndure.

Now, just to make sure, browse to where you extracted XboxHDM. Enter the Linux folder and there should now be a folder inside there titled ndure.
browsendure2.jpg

Installing Updated Backup Script
First, you must download the updated script. Right-click HERE and save link as. Left-clicking will just bring up a weird page. You have to right-click and save link as.

When you hit Save Link As, it will ask you where you want to save the file and what do you want to name it. It may add a .txt or .htm file extension to it, so you will have to delete the file extension so it is just:
Code:
ndure

Save this updated ndure script file to the /xboxhdm/linux/ndure/ folder. Since there is the old script already in there, it should ask if you want to overwrite. Say yes. If it doesn't ask you if you want to overwrite, please check the /xboxhdm/linux/ndure/ folder and make sure you named it just ndure and not ndure.htm.

It should not look like a Firefox, IE or txt file (check, right click>property's what does windows think it is? It should be a file or a unknown file)

Note: When downloading the script (installing updated backup script) if your PC keeps making it a IE or firefox file like mine did just save it then
Start > Control Panel > Folder options > view (tab) then untick the button that says "hide extensions of known file types" and then apply. This will put all file extensions after the file name (so it would be "ndure.htm") just click the file name to rename it then delete the .htm bit, your computer will grumble asking you are you sure, after which you can undo the folder options so everything looks normal again

Create the ISO and Burn It
Go back to the main XboxHDM folder and you will see a bat file titled “make-iso-win”. Run this, and wait for it to finish making the ISO. You should now have a new ISO file in the XboxHDM folder titled “linux”.

ISO Recorder should already be installed so all you need to do is insert a blank CD into your DVD/CD Burner and right-click the “linux” ISO File and hit “Copy Image to CD”. Just hit Next on the burning screens and wait for the recording to finish.
iso.png

If you only have 1 PC that can get on the internet and it is the same PC you'll be doing the hotswap with, I recommend printing from here to the bottom of the tutorial.

Force the PC BIOS to Boot From CD
Now that your CD is burned, it’s time to do the actual softmod. First thing you want to do is check to make sure your computer’s BIOS is set to boot from CD first. I believe it is set to boot from CD first on most models, but it’s always best to make sure. To check this, restart your computer. When it starts up, you will have to hit a key in order to enter the BIOS configuration screen. Usually it will say on screen to “Hit key to enter Setup”. Watch for this. If you can’t see it anywhere, I have listed the following BIOS config keys for some computers.

Added note:

If you know how to access the boot menu without using bios config, I recommend doing it that way, (my ami bios was press F11) do not press enter yet.

Code:
Acer: - Ctrl+Alt+Esc
ALR PC: (F2) or (Ctrl)(Alt)Esc)
AMI BIOS: (Del), (F1) or (F2)
AST, Advantage, Award, Tandon: - Ctrl + Alt + Esc
Award BIOS: (Del) or (Ctrl)(Alt)(Esc)
Compaq: (F10) (do this when the cursor is in the upper right corner of the screen blinking)
Dell: - F1 or Del.
Dell: - Some require pressing reset twice
Dell: - Ctrl + Alt + Enter
DTK BIOS: (Esc)
Gateway 2000: - F1
Hewlett Packard: - F1
IBM:
• Older Models - In order to get into the configuration of the IBM setup screen (CMOS) screen you need to hold down both mouse buttons during bootup.
• Aptiva - Press F1
• IBM PS/2: (Ctrl)(Alt)(Ins) after (Ctrl)(Alt)(Del)
• IBM PS/2 with reference partition: - Press Ins during boot
• Some PS/2s, such as 75 and 90: - Ctrl Alt ?
• Some PS/2s when pointer at top right of screen: - Ctrl + Ins
NEC: - F2
Packard Bell: - F1 or F2
Phoenix BIOS: (F1), (F2), or (Ctrl)(Alt)(Esc)
Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl Alt S
Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl S
Phoenix BIOS: - Ctrl Alt Ins
Sharp Laptop 9020: - F2
Sony: (F3) while you are starting the PC, then (F2) or (F1)
Tandon computers: - Hold down the key after turning on power
Tandon: - Ctrl + Shift + Esc
Toshiba Laptops: - Toshiba Utility
Toshiba: - Press Esc during boot
Toshiba, Phoenix, late model PS/1 Value Point and 330s: - Press F1 during boot
Olivetti PC Pro: - Shift Ctrl Alt + Num Pad Del
Miscellaneous PC's: - Ctrl + Esc or Ctrl and Alt and +
Zenith: - Ctrl Alt Ins

Most PC BIOS Screens will look similar to this one:
KyJx7cM.jpg

You will need to make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD first. Usually this can be found in the BIOS BOOT menu, CMOS Menu, or Advanced Menu. Just make sure that CD-ROM is the top of the list, so that it will look for a bootable CD before booting any hard drives.

Xbox and PC Preparation
Since you are hotswapping, you will need to have your Xbox very close to your computer.

Added note: loosen off the Xbox hdd ribbon cable for easier hotswapping (not too loose though)

Method 1: You have both the Xbox and PC hooked up as normal. You will use the Xbox power supply to supply the power to the Xbox hard drive. In order to make up for the floating point ground, you will connect a wire with alligator clips from the PC metal case chassis to the metal Xbox chassis to short out any possible extra voltage and keep them equal.

Method 2: You have a 4-pin molex power cable in your PC long enough to reach the Xbox. So you hook up the power cord from the computer into the Xbox hard drive. So therefore, the computer’s power supply is supplying the power to the Xbox hard drive. This way, there is no floating point ground (because the hard drive is connected to the computer’s power supply) and you don’t need the chassis connecting wire.

Method 3: You don’t have a wire with alligator clips to short out the extra voltage and you don’t have a PC power cable long enough to reach the Xbox hard drive. Although not recommended, you can still try the hotswap. You can try it by hooking up the Xbox and PC as normal and not using a ground wire. According to ANSI standards, it won’t be as safe as method 1 or 2, but I have never had a problem with it. Use at your own risk. Be wary of static if using method 3. Be sure to touch your PC case or anything that is at or close to earth/ground potential (voltage) before hotswapping (usually something metal).

The important part comes in your IDE configuration of your drives.
You will want your CD/DVD drive anywhere but the primary master.
Some people have said they have problems with their CD drive hooked up to to primary slave. I personally use mine hooked up to secondary master and it works fine.
Leave the primary master vacant, as this will be the connector used during the hotswap to connect the Xbox hard drive to your computer.

Checklist
Please run down this checklist and make sure everything is perfect. If just one thing is incorrect, you will run into problems; your setup has to be exactly like this.
  • My PC BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM before anything else.
  • I have a safe way to connect the Xbox hard drive to the PC
  • My IDE cable that will be used for hotswapping is connected to the primary IDE channel
  • My CD/DVD drive is connected to anywhere but the primary IDE connection
  • My primary master IDE connection is vacant, as this is the one I will hotswap the Xbox drive to
  • I have the video lead plugged into my Xbox (It doesn't have to be plugged into a TV but you can get visual confirmation for when it is booted to the dashboard)
  • I have a control pad plugged into my Xbox
If all of that is correct, can you proceed. It is very important that you can answer “yes” to every statement. Skipping a step will only lead to more problems later.

Softmod Time
Make sure your XboxHDM disc is inside your CD/DVD drive. Boot up your Xbox first, wait 1 minute and boot up your PC

Your Xbox should go to the MS Dashboard.

Your PC should go to the XboxHDM main menu.
xhdm.png

For a hotswap to be successful the Xbox hard drive needs to be unlocked. So determining when the Xbox hard drive is unlocked is of great interest. Here's a tutorial on unlocking and locking your Xbox hdd. More information can be found in daddyj’s hotswapping FAQ:

The Xbox is unlocked inside the MS Dashboard and during gameplay. So if you have an error-free Xbox, hotswap during gameplay or while sitting at the MS Dash. An extra tip was to do the following:

- put an audio cd in the xbox
- copy one track to the hd
- play the track from the HD, let play for a few seconds
- pause the song
- you HDD is now ready for hotswap!

This helps unlock hard drives on 1.5/1.6 Xboxes that may not unlock by themselves in the MS Dash. Of course, anybody with any version Xbox can follow the process above just to make sure their Xbox hard drive is unlocked before hotswapping.

What about error codes?

The Xbox HD DOES NOT unlock when your xbox boots into an error 6 or 7. The drive is usually unlocked for a short period on Xbox Errors 11, 12, 13, 16, & error 21, but Errors 11 & 12 are the preferable errors to do the hotswap.

Because you changed the timeout value from 300 to 600, you have ten minutes to make the swap. Please make sure the drive is unlocked when you make the swap. Many people who encounter problems with this particular mod are trying to hotswap into a locked drive, it just doesn’t work.

After making the swap, type 1 on the keyboard to enter the VGA console (1 and 2 are basically the same thing). After the scrolling text, you should eventually end up at a screen like this.
YKcq5WN.jpg

Type xbrowser and you should see a screen that looks like this

Code:
+<-/CD/----------------------------------------v>++<-/xbox-------------------------------------------v>+
| Name | Size | MTime || Name | Size | MTime |
|/.. |UP--DIR| ||/.. |UP--DIR| |
| ABOUT_THIS_CD.txt | 1392|Apr 14 17:48|| C | 4096|Apr 14 17:48|
| C | 4096|Apr 14 17:30|| E | 4096|Apr 14 17:48|
| E | 4096|Apr 14 17:30|| | | |
| eeprom | 0|Apr 14 17:30|| | | |
| F | 4096|Apr 19 02:13|| | | |
| check | 6013|Apr 18 21:47|| | | |
| isolinux | 4096|Apr 14 17:30|| | | |
| ndure | | || | | |
| readme.txt | | || | | |
| xbox | | || | | |
| | | || | | |
| | | || | | |
| | | || | | |
+------------------------------------------------++----------------------------------------------------+
|/.. ||/.. | | |
+------------------------------------------------++----------------------------------------------------+
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.0
$
1Help 2Menu 3View 4Edit 5Copy 6RenMov 7Mkdir 8Delete 9PullDn 10Quit

Enter the ndure folder and you should see this screen:
browser.png

Hit enter on the *ndure script and you will be presented with the NDURE Installer Menu.

First, you will want to backup your C drive. This is very important. So choose Option 4 to backup your C drive to E:/backup. It may take awhile, but let it finish.

When it's done, it should go back to the installer menu. Now, we're ready to install Ndure. Select option 1 to install ndure. It will proceed through the 3 parts. Be patient, this process takes a long time (around 15 minutes or more). Part 2 takes the longest. Even if you think it might have frozen, let it go. There have been many times where I was wondering if it had froze, and then just see it finish up. After all 3 parts, it should give you a message saying “Done, now exiting.”

At this point, you can turn off your computer. Connect the hard drive back into your Xbox and turn off your Xbox, and if everything went well, you now have a softmodded Xbox running Kingroach’s NDURE 3.0. And the best part about all of this is it was free!

So you can't get the hdd to unlock?
Here are the Noob mistakes
  • (A) Did you have your video wire plugged into your Xbox even if it wasn't plugged into the TV?
  • (B) Did you have a control pad plugged into your Xbox (the Xbox will not unlock without (A) or (B))
  • (C) You're just swapping just the ribbon cables, correct (not the power, the one with 4-5 wires Yellow Red and Black)(that isn't HOTswapping its just swapping)

Other mistakes
You go in to xbrowser and then to /ndure then *ndure and it starts installing it gets to step 2 of 3 then says "cp:read error input/output error" = you skipped some steps
You will have to burn another disk with Ndure script in the correct file format, please follow the instructions carefully.

Here are the Non-noob problems
As for unlocking the hard drive some methods work for some, others don't. Here are the most popular methods:
  • Let the Xbox sit at the dash for a little while and then hotswap
  • Play a music track off of a soundtrack, pause it, then hotswap
  • Boot a game and start playing it, then hotswap
  • Unplug the DVD drive’s power cable so you get an error 12 and hotswap
  • Hotswap right after you see the MS splash logo
  • If not connected to a TV, unhook the DVD drive’s power cable and hotswap right when you get the red light.

Sometimes it is the PC at fault, Custom built AMDs normally present no problems. There can be bios issues also, here are some work a rounds if you're PC literate:
  • Disable Auto Detection for the Primary Master Hdd (also explained as setting IDE0/HDA to “NONE”)
  • Disable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring
  • Unplug all USB devices (use a PS/2 connector for your keyboard)
  • Make sure all networking cards have a connection (XboxHDM hangs on unplugged network cables)

Credit goes to Textbook I just spread the information

Formatting, updated links, and general improvements to the guide by AzzidReign

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Only for old xbox not 360, wheres the thanks?
Please bump this thread if you think it is useful, enough bumps and it will be made a sticky

L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
almost

the tut delivered here will allow you to FTP to xbox, and you will be able to run homebrew softwares, which I suppose means if theres a program that lets you surf on your xbox you can put it on and be ready roll
But im new to this so I'm not 100%

L

lemywinx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
is this diferent than using mechassult to install linux or is the result the same?

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
its an alternative. and very nice tut. even tho my sexbox is modded i may try this in the future.

C

CodeytheRhino

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice, but mines already modded. One of these days I might attempt this...

L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Away for a week! Will return 16th may If anyone needs help could a seasoned softmodualist hold the fort

thanks will be given for anyone helping in my absence

(this post is getting 20 viewings a day and half of them aren't me anymore)

L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Returned from holiday, a bit of a blatant *bump* but noobs never read past page 1

B

Booher6194

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok this is a great guide, I fallowed it to the T. And when I went to hot swapping point, I had my xbox on, which was at music and was playing a sound and then I paused it and I powered down my computer unplugged my hdd drives from my computer, plugged in primamry master into the xbox hdd and then I started my computer, booted from a cd, which my computer was acting weird and it took about 3 minutes to get into the xboxhdm, but when I finally got in to it i pressed 1 and enter (i'm using version 1.9), it said about pressing enter for something or pressing space to continue and I pressed space, then I waited in till it went throught the whole thing and when It was finished I typed in xbrowser and it showed that I had a hdd in but it didn't have a xbox partition on it. So I couldn't go any further, so I'm wondering if anyone could give me a hint, if you need anymore information, just ask and I'll give it.

Thank You
Booher

L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I recommend starting xbox up leaving it on the dashboard for 2-3 minutes then turn on your pc as the pc is doing the memory test pressing the "pause break" key on the keyboard (this pauses the pc from booting up) then perform the hot swap then press pause break again and then boot from CD
It sounds like the harddrive wasn't unlocked, as a word of advice I had the jumpers on my xb hdd set to master I had no other hdd on my pc I had hotswapped to IDE 0 primary and (the first wire out of IDE channel 0) my CD player with the mod disc in was on IDE 1 primary
I think your error was in hotswapping the hdd to a "cold" pc which caused problems with your pc which made it wait for too long which brought you out of the hotswap window

I suggest you try again as described as above, and get back to me with the results

If you could remember what the pc asked you when it said "Hit Enter or Space" that may help me help you too

good luck

B

Booher6194

Reaction score
Sin$
The enter button is for (I think) resizing the screen, and the space button is for continuing. I can't try it right now but I will when I get home from school. I just thought I was going to have to have the xbox hdd plugged in my computer when I started it,so thank you for a quit respond. I get back to you tonight after I try it.

Booher6194

Nope I did what you said and I got the same problem, xbrowser, it found a hdd and it said that there was not xbox partition on it, Then I typed xboxhd and it said that my hdd was still locked. How fast do I have to switch the IDE cables before they lock my HDD back up. Also is there a easier way besides using the hot swapping method, like how to get the eeprom and unlocking it that way.

l Gob l

l Gob l

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
If you created this tutorial, I congratulate you on a VERY good job. Now, if you copy and pasted its still a very nice share. The rep thing though, you want some rep? Keep posting, you will get it trust me.

L

LD50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok still locked then,
(A) Did you have your video wire plugged into your xbox (not in to a tv that doesn't matter)
(B) Did you have a control pad plugged into your xbox (the xbox will not unlock without (A) or (B))
(C) You're just swapping the just ribbon cables, correct (not the power, the one with 4-5 wires Yellow Red and Black)
(D) Please don't tell me you're trying this on a 360

Hotswapping is not something that has to be rushed really, you can take up to a minute, possibly more to do it

IF you missed either (A) or (B) please try again
If not roughly reassemble your xbox to confirm that it is still working

As for Eprom and the like I have no idea I'm sorry,
If hotswapping is giving you troubles read this well written shot tutorial
https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-hotswap.571/
ignoring the Xplorer360 or fatXplorer references

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Booher6194

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I have my xbox plugged into my video card on the computer and that is what I use to get to the dash board because my stupid tv cannot switch to the AUX channel without the remote and I've lost my a couple days ago. But could that effect it from unlocking?? Yes I have a xbox control in and I do browse around the dash board. Yes I'm swapping the ribbon cables and not the semi-molex cable connector (I go to school for computers so I know, just wanted to point that out if) and yes it is a regular xbox, don't have the cash for the 360 yet. But could it be my computer??

Top Bottom
Login
Register