What's new

SMTP localhost help

iFawx

iFawx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello 7s,

I have a really confusing thing going on here... I'll try to keep it as short as possible. I've been working around on a forum for a year or two now, just getting to know this and that and editing, etc. I had an issue back when I first started with emails being sent. Back then I was using VirtualBox, no reason why it's just a private project anyway. After about a month I installed Windows Live Mail 2012 on the VM and poof the emails started working when I logged into my gmail with imap, smtp, ports:993 and 465.

Now I moved it out of VM and just onto my desktop and now once again the emails do not work... It's been about 3 days I've been trying to figure everything out but no luck at all... I would like to purchase Xenforo or vBulletin in the future but to do so I want to fix this issue even if when I buy it, it would be hosted elsewhere. I am currently using MyBB and when I do a mass email or password request I get, "Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details. Reason: 0:". I've searched for answers and even posted on MyBB support but I'm literally the only one replying to my own post with updates.

My original post and updates all here:
Hello MyBB,

I have a problem here which I had years ago.. Somehow I managed to get it working when I used windows live mail (When hosted on a VM) but now that its not on a VM and I'm running windows 10, I have the new version of windows mail and I am unable to send emails anymore.

All my settings on my GMail are working, I also installed outlook on here to text you the sending and receiving smtp and it does send and receive them when it runs it's test.

When I use the settings on MyBB it does not send anything?

I am curious as to what I need to send emails on my computer. Do I need some kind of server or just need the ports open and I enter the smtp details on the ACP? I can't find any tutorials explaining everything on this issue, any help would be appreciated.

Playing around with the ports I manage to get one of 2 error messages.

1- Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details. Reason: 0:
2- The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message.

UPDATE: On my VM I reopened it and tried it on that forum in which after a bit of playing around with started working again. Tried the same off of my VM (Even keeping WLM open on the VM, still getting error 0

UPDATE 2: WLM was useless, now years later I find out I dont need it open to send mail. Still having issues off of my VM So I'm wondering if I'm missing some kind of file somewhere...

UPDATE 3: Temporarily fixed it... I checked my localhost/phpinfo.php and noticed smtp was on local host. Anyway, if this is an issue for anyone else simply go into your php.ini and fix the [mail function] to the smtp and port, that simple..

It sent one email now I get the same error

Code:
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
; http://php.net/smtp
SMTP=smtp.gmail.com
; http://php.net/smtp-port
smtp_port=465

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register