What's new

Solved Slim HDD upgrade

O

OldSchoolTech

Reaction score
Sin$
I have an older 360 I've been using and it has a 120gb HDD. The slim I have is only 4gb. I know I can disassemble the 120gb and put it in the slim but apart from that can I just put any 2.5" HDD into it instead? I know you used to need hddhackr and a western digital.

Basically my question is do you still need a western digital and hddhackr if you want to put a bigger HDD in the Xbox and what are the size options (in GB)?

O

OldSchoolTech

Reaction score
Sin$
you can go up to 2tb if its a rgh or jtag console. Retail i think is 500gb
Yeah it's retail but I'll be just flashing it as I want it to be able to go online. Would any 250gb or 500gb work? Also I might try RGH a phat one but I'll save that for another topic to just find out what I'll need.

G

Goldfinch

True
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,
It is possible to do larger memory sizes in an RGH, but I'd recommend going with a smaller capacity (250gb) or similar. I'm pretty sure it isn't essential to have a WD produced one either, others like Seagate are known to work just as well. :smile:
Best of luck!

O

OldSchoolTech

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,
It is possible to do larger memory sizes in an RGH, but I'd recommend going with a smaller capacity (250gb) or similar. I'm pretty sure it isn't essential to have a WD produced one either, others like Seagate are known to work just as well. :smile:
Best of luck!
Ok I'll try get a used 250gb next week and just use my 120gb for now. I'd rather install the games while I'm playing them it's much quieter. Do you still have to use hddhackr to format them?

X1337XSNIP3R

X1337XSNIP3R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok I'll try get a used 250gb next week and just use my 120gb for now. I'd rather install the games while I'm playing them it's much quieter. Do you still have to use hddhackr to format them?
You can either go with 120/250/320/500 gb it does not matter as long as it is a 2.5 drive

O

OldSchoolTech

Reaction score
Sin$
You can either go with 120/250/320/500 gb it does not matter as long as it is a 2.5 drive
I'm not sure if they're just outdated but when I'm searching I'm finding threads from 2014 sating you still need to use a western digital and flash the hddss.bin to it with hddhackr to make it work in the xbox.

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
What ever non-xbox drive you use, you need to flash the firmware, if it's a retail console. I don't think it's limited to WD drives, I think some Hitachis and Seagates work too, but they still need flashing.

Top Bottom
Login
Register