• Thread starter Mad Ady
  • Start date
  • Views 2,749
M

Mad Ady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi there everyone, just thought I'd share some info on powering your 0800 drives from std PC PSU molex, inc eject switch.

Why? well it seems that as PC's evolve, the PSU's have done away with 3.3Vdc power (orange wires), and the SATA & MOLEX plugs now only carry 12Vdc & 5Vdc. Older SATA plugs had orange wires, so a sata power plug could be adapted, but newer ones don't.

I've seen some other methods for powering these, but tbh this is likely the simplest, most practical & cheapest method for conveniently powering an 0800 drive for either installing in your PC, or bench work. *Extend the wires to whatever length you require.

Complete unit:

Molex_to_0800_with_3_3_Vdc_reg_eject_sw1.jpg

Parts req'd:

1. Molex plug - if you want it to be removable from the PC PSU
  2. 1/2 of a 360 drive power cable - so you can make 2! (or a whole one, & cut off one plug)
  3. Dead 360 MoBo - for 3.3Vdc regulator
  4. SPDT switch
  5. Wire
  6. Soldering iron & solder
  7. Heatshrink - recommended
Step 1:
Remove the 3.3Vdc voltage regulator from a RROD or dead 360 motherboard (17-33G) - Phat consoles have a few. They are 5Vdc to 3.3Vdc SMD regs.

a_3_3_Vdc_Reg_location.jpg

You can do this with a fine pencil gas torch by carefully heating up the solder pad directly above the SMD. Here is the chip with pinouts:

Connections_for_5_V_3_3_Vdc_REG.jpg

Step 2:
Solder wires to the Ground, 5Vdc & 3.3Vdc terminals (I've used the base for 3.3Vdc on my adapters).
* If you want, you can prep a single package reg (shown here) instead of attaching it to the molex:

5_V_3_3_Vdc_reg_prepped.jpg

Step 3:
Follow the many pinout posts from other people to wire your Ground, 12Vdc, 5Vdc & 3.3Vdc wires into your 360 0800 drive plug, plus eject switch.

As in my first pic, I have secured the 3.3Vdc reg under the heatshrink on the molex plug - this makes it all very compact, & prevents the reg wires from being disturbed/broken.
Step 4:
Plug it in & test:
Molex_to_0800_with_3_3_Vdc_reg_eject_sw2.jpg

Install inside of PC case:
Molex_to_0800_with_3_3_Vdc_reg_eject_sw3.jpg

Eject sw installed:
eject_sw_closed.jpg

Eject sw - open!:

eject_sw_open.jpg

What do you think?

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi there everyone, just thought I'd share some info on powering your 0800 drives from std PC PSU molex, inc eject switch.

Why? well it seems that as PC's evolve, the PSU's have done away with 3.3Vdc power (orange wires), and the SATA & MOLEX plugs now only carry 12Vdc & 5Vdc. Older SATA plugs had orange wires, so a sata power plug could be adapted, but newer ones don't.

I've seen some other methods for powering these, but tbh this is likely the simplest, most practical & cheapest method for conveniently powering an 0800 drive for either installing in your PC, or bench work. *Extend the wires to whatever length you require.

Complete unit:

Molex_to_0800_with_3_3_Vdc_reg_eject_sw1.jpg

Parts req'd:

1. Molex plug - if you want it to be removable from the PC PSU
  2. 1/2 of a 360 drive power cable - so you can make 2! (or a whole one, & cut off one plug)
  3. Dead 360 MoBo - for 3.3Vdc regulator
  4. SPDT switch
  5. Wire
  6. Soldering iron & solder
  7. Heatshrink - recommended
Step 1:
Remove the 3.3Vdc voltage regulator from a RROD or dead 360 motherboard (17-33G) - Phat consoles have a few. They are 5Vdc to 3.3Vdc SMD regs.

a_3_3_Vdc_Reg_location.jpg

You can do this with a fine pencil gas torch by carefully heating up the solder pad directly above the SMD. Here is the chip with pinouts:

Connections_for_5_V_3_3_Vdc_REG.jpg

Step 2:
Solder wires to the Ground, 5Vdc & 3.3Vdc terminals (I've used the base for 3.3Vdc on my adapters).
* If you want, you can prep a single package reg (shown here) instead of attaching it to the molex:

5_V_3_3_Vdc_reg_prepped.jpg

Step 3:
Follow the many pinout posts from other people to wire your Ground, 12Vdc, 5Vdc & 3.3Vdc wires into your 360 0800 drive plug, plus eject switch.

As in my first pic, I have secured the 3.3Vdc reg under the heatshrink on the molex plug - this makes it all very compact, & prevents the reg wires from being disturbed/broken.
Step 4:
Plug it in & test:
Molex_to_0800_with_3_3_Vdc_reg_eject_sw2.jpg

Install inside of PC case:
Molex_to_0800_with_3_3_Vdc_reg_eject_sw3.jpg

Eject sw installed:
eject_sw_closed.jpg

Eject sw - open!:

eject_sw_open.jpg

What do you think?
Not a bad little tutorial. A bit old school as not too many people use 0800 Drives any more with the 360 usb pro v2, but still quality and will serve a purpose to a few members.

M

Mad Ady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not a bad little tutorial. A bit old school as not too many people use 0800 Drives any more with the 360 usb pro v2, but still quality and will serve a purpose to a few members.

Yeah I know right - however my X360USB Pro v2 died, so I made up a probe:
probe.jpg

and a power & eject adapter:
drive_power_eject.jpg

and flashed a couple 16D2S's, & can now carry on without it.

I think my X360USB Pro v2 was slowly failing, as the 16D4S I was running was having trouble reading discs, and then when I went to extract a new key, JF no longer detected any drives through X360USB Pro v2.

By building these adapters, JF & XBC are working fine.

Others may find that helpful also.

D

Deleted member 777936

Houston, we have a problem.
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, for a new member on se7en you sure do have knowledge of what you're doing. Thanks for the tut :wink:

Top Bottom
Login
Register