What's new

Question *sigh* I need some more help.

Im Zer0 Syndicate

Im Zer0 Syndicate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have gotten tired of Linux for reasons that aren't important to this thread, and I want to switch back to Windows. The only problem is, I think I'm locked in. I try to make a Windows Installer USB and the USB never works (It's the same with making a bootable USB). I try to use the "Make a bootable USB" option, but it clears the flags on the partition and formats it to the non-existent "ISO9660" format. From there I try to put a "boot" flag on the partition, and then the format is "Unknown". I try to boot it up and I get something along the lines of "This is not bootable media, please insert a system disk" with any method I try. I have also tried just extracting the ISO onto the USB and flagging it as "boot", but the same thing happens. The funny thing is, when I use "Make a bootable USB" with a Linux ISO, it works just fine. I feel like I have been locked in on purpose.

Operating System
  1. Linux
Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
Nope, not locked in.

Use Etcher if you're on Linux, you can grab the .deb file from:

[Click here to view this link]

Or you can use dd:

dd bs=8M if=/pathofyourfile of=/dev/yourusbstick && sync

*Make sure to run as root or with sudo - make sure it's the right drive or you could lose some data.

I've done it over a thousand times and not "locked" in. :wink:

You can Google "Windows 10.iso" and grab the latest one from Windows.
If you're on Windows 10, you can only get the media creator, if you're on Linux you can Google and get the actual .ISO

Good luck. :biggrin:

Im Zer0 Syndicate

Im Zer0 Syndicate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Nope, not locked in.

Or you can use dd:

*Make sure to run as root or with sudo - make sure it's the right drive or you could lose some data.

If you're on Windows 10, you can only get the media creator, if you're on Linux you can Google and get the actual .ISO

When I use Etcher, it tells me Windows ISOs require special processing to be made bootable.
Nope, not locked in.

Or you can use dd:

Getting the same problem as last time, and most of the other times I have tried. It says something along the lines of "Media test failure, check cable" when I try to boot the USB. Any idea why?

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
When I use Etcher, it tells me Windows ISOs require special processing to be made bootable.

Getting the same problem as last time, and most of the other times I have tried. It says something along the lines of "Media test failure, check cable" when I try to boot the USB. Any idea why?

You tried with DD? Tried booting Windows and using Rufus?
Make sure your USB is working for a start...

Top Bottom
Login
Register