What's new

Discussion Shut down vs Sleep vs Hibernate

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm curious to see what you guys think about the different forms of "leaving the computer". I watched a video from NCIX I believe where Linus talked about this a bit but I'd like to refresh on that information and see what everyone thinks. Please leave any input and knowledge on the "modes" below.

Shut down: You completely shut down the system removing everything temporary from the RAM. It takes a long time to boot back up and load everything but it is "refreshed" in a sense.

Sleep: You somewhat shut stuff down but only enough to where the RAM is intact and programs are still open and OS is still booted. This takes some battery away on laptops but it makes it easy to get back up and running as fast as possible.

Hibernate: (Isn't this only available in laptops?) I think this is what it sounds like. It "hibernates" the system to ensure a long battery life but it is similar to sleep (I think, I'm not sure)

Tip of the day: If on Windows, press the Windows key + X to show lots of cool stuff!

Operating System
  1. Windows
OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I shut down. Only takes me ~15 seconds to boot up. That's not even with a SSD. lol

...i also have a memory leak so games are mad laggy if i leave my computer on. But my FPS counter will say everything is fine

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I shut down. Only takes me ~15 seconds to boot up. That's not even with a SSD. lol

...i also have a memory leak so games are mad laggy if i leave my computer on. But my FPS counter will say everything is fine
Imagine with a SSD. 5 seconds? It takes me eons to boot up. that's why I rarely shut down unless I encounter some issue with my aging system. How do you know you have a memory leak? Do you run some diagnostic test? I'd like to know if I have one too.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
I just turn my computer off. It boots up fast, but then I have rocket dock as a startup program and that **** takes forever to get running.

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I just turn my computer off. It boots up fast, but then I have rocket dock as a startup program and that **** takes forever to get running.
Yeah, waiting for startup programs to commence isn't the most fun thing about booting up a system.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
How do you know you have a memory leak? Do you run some diagnostic test? I'd like to know if I have one too.
The only reason i think i have one is because of how i lag if i leave my computer on. Reboot it, and then it's perfect again

The_Home_Modder

The_Home_Modder

Reaction score
Sin$
I sleep my computer, it keeps the rgb on and can resume instantly

Aydind

Aydind

VIP
VIP
Retired
Bright Idea Reporter Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Personally, I shut down. Use to have it sleep, not sure why I suddenly changed.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
I shut down my PC, but I tend to just close my MacBook. I shutdown my PC because a lot of my LEDs remain on when it's asleep, and it's kind of annoying.

HumphreyMax

HumphreyMax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I just leave it running, no harm done. If I have to, I will shut it down. Hibernate is different than sleep in that it saves all of your running contents to the SSD or HDD instead of RAM.

HYX

HYX

Administrator
Administrator
Lifetime
Hidden Devils
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I shut down my PC, but I tend to just close my MacBook. I shutdown my PC because a lot of my LEDs remain on when it's asleep, and it's kind of annoying.
Add a NZXT light controller to it so you can turn the LEDs off via software.

I rarely turn mine off just so when I wake up I can get right to work editing, making graphics or anything that I might need.

Scuxy

Scuxy

C:\Users\Scuxy
Services
Reaction score
Sin$
Usually shut down as my OS and files are running on a solid state so boot time is like 10 seconds if that.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hibernate - writes RAM data to HDD, faster boot than starting from cold (shut down state), doesn't use power.
Sleep - keeps data saved in RAM, but draws power. Very fast boot, insta boot :biggrin:.
Shut down - self explanatory

Hibernate and sleep, is less stress to HDD, if you take breaks often. Shut down, probably if you take a good few days off.

Joshy

Joshy

Premium
Glitcher Mythical Veteran Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Work PC - I just lock it most of the time. Shutdown at night.

Personal laptop 1 (HP) - shutdown only after updates successfully install.

Personal laptop 2 (Mac) - shutdown every time after use, I don't like anyone touching my mac book, that's my baby.

Personal PC - almost never shutdown, restart yes. Locked most of the time.

The Irish Assassin

The Irish Assassin

(Re)tired eyes from the shadows
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I can't remember the last time I shut down my laptop, it's basically my media server 24/7. My PC though gets shut down every night but generally runs all day.

I have put it to sleep on occasion but to be honest, I use neither to their maximum potential so neither really needs a break or for me to consider their long term health.

Top Bottom
Login
Register