Solved Should I send in my xbox?

• Thread starter wilso326
  • Start date
  • Views 577
W

wilso326

Reaction score
Sin$
Okay so last christmas my Xbox red ringed but I managed to fix it by removing the xclamps, putting thermal paste on the gpu and cpu and putting the cpu and gpu back together with washers and screws (I think this was called the xclamp fix?).

Now I can't start the thing up at all, it just red rings when I boot it up and it gives me error 102 (cold solder). I've tried heating it up by turning off the fans and towel tricking it but it doesn't do anything.

So, I think my only option left now is to send it in right? My friend once sent in an xbox he opened up and put back together and they fixed it for red ring, though he had E74 and I have E102. I called xbox support and they told me my warranty is still good, so is it likely they'll fix it even though I've opened it and I have E102? Or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance for the help!

N

nixbox360

Se7ensins Repairman
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay so last christmas my Xbox red ringed but I managed to fix it by removing the xclamps, putting thermal paste on the gpu and cpu and putting the cpu and gpu back together with washers and screws (I think this was called the xclamp fix?).

Now I can't start the thing up at all, it just red rings when I boot it up and it gives me error 102 (cold solder). I've tried heating it up by turning off the fans and towel tricking it but it doesn't do anything.

So, I think my only option left now is to send it in right? My friend once sent in an xbox he opened up and put back together and they fixed it for red ring, though he had E74 and I have E102. I called xbox support and they told me my warranty is still good, so is it likely they'll fix it even though I've opened it and I have E102? Or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance for the help!

MS will probably just send you a new console. They admit their faults with their replacements at least. They know their consoles aren't well made, so they make up for it with a new one.
EDIT: refurb console usually actually, not new.

numpty

numpty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd be surprised if microsoft would replace it due to you doing a repair and the warranty stickers probably not intact.They'll offer to repair but it'll cost you.

R

Ry x MoDzZ

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
i think even if they said ur still under warranty when they get the xbox and see your microsoft seal is gone, theyre guna send it right back, im pretty sure opening your xbox VOIDS your warranty

BoneZ

BoneZ

#REGULATORS
Premium
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
i sent my xbox in 2 weeks ago, it had a 2 year expired warranty, and the warranty seal was broken.
on wednesday they sent me a brand new console. mfc date 10-28-2010.
edit, they also wanted me to pay $100, but i didn't pay and the still sent a label.

Mone

Mone

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
if you send it in you will get another one, but they will make you pay a fee for opeing it, i had 5 over my time two with the red ring each time. It wasnt the same one, but it was under warranty

numpty

numpty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i sent my xbox in 2 weeks ago, it had a 2 year expired warranty, and the warranty seal was broken.
on wednesday they sent me a brand new console. mfc date 10-28-2010.
edit, they also wanted me to pay $100, but i didn't pay and the still sent a label.

they'll change consoles that have the security seal missing as long as the original x clamps are in place,not sure how you get along if you've done the x clamp fix

I

IwearHelmet4Bed

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I had a refurb console after i dropped my last one, the cd drive was broken and wireless stopped working, my seal was broken becuase I tried to fix it myself. They even sent me a months free Live as a apology with a letter :biggrin:

W

wilso326

Reaction score
Sin$
Okay thanks for all the input everyone! I think I'm going to send it in anyway.
But has anyone had a case like mine before? Has anyone ever tried to send in a totally taken apart xbox with replaced x-clamps?

SirBakedAlot

SirBakedAlot

Baked is the only way
Reaction score
Sin$
But has anyone had a case like mine before? Has anyone ever tried to send in a totally taken apart xbox with replaced x-clamps?
you should put the x-clamps back on also prepare to wait almost 2 months for your xbox bk

The Truth

The Truth

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
As long as you can find a replacement case to put on it just to send back, you will be fine.
With or without a warranty seal, M$ will send you a replacement console.

Top Bottom
Login
Register