Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Hello All...

I don't normally play video games, and when I do it certainly isn't on the PC. However, I have completely fallen in love with this "game". I wasn't even sure if I should put this in the PC gaming category as this almost isn't even a game, but this is the best section. I play this game all the time, and with the new update it is even more glorious.

For those of you who don't know what SpaceEngine is, look here. It allows one to explore the universe in the most realistic way possible, without worrying about limitations like general relativity. Drawing on actual star data, it uses procedural generation to fill in the blanks. At only 1GB for the basic game, there is no reason to not try it (unless ofc your PC can't run it). Keep in mind that theres also 37.4GB of official addons, which I have downloaded :smile:

To begin with, some specs on my PC, so people can get an idea of whats required. I don't consider my PC to be a beast by any means, but I can still run it very smoothly.
* 16GB of RAM. This is a big one, as SE can easily blow through 1.5GB of physical memory.
* I also have a 16GB to 1TB dedicated pagefile drive. I just added this the other day, and it seems to have helped with laggyness tremendously.
* FX8150 - 8 cores clocked at 4Ghz
* GTX560 - The downside to my build. I didn't think I would be using a big GFX card as I don't play games alot, and this one is plenty powerful for this game (I haven't tried uping the settings, they seem to be good enough as it is).
* 256GB SSD - This is where the 40GB game is installed at.

Now for my pictures :smile:
0.9.7.1 Pictures
This was a cool planet I found that orbits close to a very dim star. The planet does contain life, even though half the planet is permanently frozen and the other half has a massive hurricane on it.
H665.png
Heres a cool planet shot from it's moon. You can see they both have purple vegetation growing on them, meaning that the plants performed interplanetary travel somehow?
ejui.png
I had more pictures but unfortunately SE deleted most of them when I updated :cry:
0.9.7.2 Pictures
I took this picture to show the new night lights. This is from Io, around Jupiter. Keep in mind that these are the HD textures:
Bv0m.png
You can see how detailed it is with this picture. These are the not too old discovery of lakes of liquid methane on Titan around Saturn.
RigP.png
I'm very pleased with these HD textures as you can see in this next picture. Not a lot of pictures I see capture the very real hexagon on top of Saturn as seen here, but since these HD textures are based on real satellite data, it is there :smile:
L6k1.png
Here is another shot of the realistic HD textures. I didn't do so well on this one... I think it might have needed a bit more time. I set the timescale to 300000x and then I finally was able to kinda see the tiger scratch on Enceladus. They are on the south pole so getting them in direct sunlight is almost impossible, but I was able to get some sunlight to bounce off Saturn and illuminate them. You can see them, in the darker part at the very bottom... There are 3 blue lines, the tiger's scratch. I think this angle is just terrible, but its the best I could do.
l6ZP.png
Another new feature in the recent update is tidal forces. While I know there are fairly strong tidal forces on Io, and they can probably be seen in that picture, this is a planet that was found that is undergoing EXTREME tidal forces. As such, the entire planet is crushed (and has an entire surface of lava)
Z9pK.png
Realism was the goal with SE, and so all celestial bodies are represented. Even black holes. This is not a black hole however, but very close. Its a neutron star. Notice how the intense gravity warps space-time and lenses the galaxy behind it.
tkxJ.png
Here is another picture of the neutron star, although you'd never know it. There was actually a planet oribing it at 110x the distance from the Earth to the Sun (110AU). It is completely pitch black, and I'm sure on its way to becoming a rogue planet. You can see the neutron star pictured above is the brightest star located in the upper right portion of the image.
w5tY.png
The last picture is very similar to one of the 0.9.7.1 pictures. It has a planet closer to a dim star, with half the planet melted and half the planet with a hurricane on it. Keep in mind, multicellular life does exist here. The reason I like this planet with life is that it doesn't orbit any star in the picture. It actually orbits a binary red dwarf system. The binary parent stars also orbit a third star that is directly above the planet in this image. Lastly there is another group of 3 stars in the background towards the right, which orbits the parent triplet. That gives a 6 star system, with only 1 planet consisting of life.
g894.png
Another fun place to be is right on the surface of a star. I found a very dim star oribing a very bright star and took this picture from the dim star. I needed a bright star to be able to see it from the surface of the dim one. You can also see I was standing on the edge of a sun spot at the time.
bPPh.png
Last picture for now. You might think this next star is being bombarded by comets, but that is not the case. All 3 of these "comets" are actually whole planets that are so close to their parent that they are being completely blasted away. Don't believe me? You can actually see a moon oribing the planet on the far left. The new corona rending is also easy to see in this image around the sun.
feUX.png

Well I hope you liked my photo album! I'd love to see what you guys find!! Black holes anyone? :tongue:

F

FineNerdsS7

Contributor
Reaction score
These photos are amazing. When I get my new computer I will definitely be having this 'game' as one of the first downloaded. I love space and this makes me really happy.

R

Remedy

Black Desert Online
Lifetime
Reaction score
16GB of ram my god :o. I would probably have to SE some things in order to make this work correctly. The pictures do look quite good but I think if it was more realistic looking it would be awesome.

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Couple more pictures. These next two are of Mars. I was told that the images looked very 2 dimensional, so I really tried to capture some 3D features. Olympus Mons is in the first picture, sticking up out of the dust, and then the valleys on the other side of the planet follow.
k02y.png

A4TE.png
The rest are moons of Saturn. The first is Mimas, which has a huge crater kinda reminding me of the Death Star.
kwQv.png
These next two moons are both locked in orbit similar to how our own moon is, so that the same face always faces Saturn. This means that both moons have a "leading" edge that cuts through the rings and gathers material, with a trailing edge that is clean. The first image is Enceladus, with green deposits.
Wfp8.png
Lastly is Iapetus. Dusty deposits build up on this one so that half of the planet is dark while the other half is white ice. You might notice a line running through the equator. That is not a glitch, its an actual ridge that runs more than a quarter of the way around the planet for some reason.
DIqu.png
16GB of ram my god :o. I would probably have to SE some things in order to make this work correctly. The pictures do look quite good but I think if it was more realistic looking it would be awesome.
Well I think 16GB of RAM is a little overkill. I only ever get up to a little over 9GB actually used. I think the biggest factor is going to be fast memory. My physical memory is clocked at 1866Mhz, with a virtual memory pagefile on a drive by itself so it can go as fast as it wants. Its a free game, so it can't hurt to try it out :tongue:

Like I said, I didn't mess with the visual effects settings but I'm sure there are some to turn up. Also keep in mind that this game is still a WIP, in fact it was updated not too long ago.

F

FineNerdsS7

Contributor
Reaction score
I really enjoy these screenshots. I can't wait to get to mess around in SE myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom