Set Custom SMS Alert Tones

Discussion in 'Apple iOS' started by Coletrain17, Jun 28, 2009 with 3 replies and 799 views.

1. Coletrain17

Coletrain17 Getting There

Ratings:
    Hey all, if you're like me you're probably wishing you could change your SMS tone from that annoying tri-tone alert. But apple only provided like 6 other options that all suck! This tutorial will teach you how to make ANY SOUND your sms tone.

For this tutorial you will need:

Jailbroken iPhone
    Open SSH (Can be found in Cydia)
    An SFTP program (I'll be using Cyberduck)
    An Audio Converter that can creat .aiff files (I'll be using switch)
    A Desired Soundclip

Convert your mp3 to .aiff:

Step 1: Take your desired soundclip and do whatever you have to to convert it to a .aiff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2: Once you have the .aiff, you're going to have to rename it, but we'll get into that later. For now just take your .aiff and keep it on your desktop until later

Step 3: With Open SSH installed, you're going to need to SFTP into your phone.

How to SFTP into your phone:

Open up your SFTP program and hit "Open Connection", and enter the following settings where it prompts you:

Protocol: SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol)

Server: For this part you're going to have to connect your iPhone and your computer to the same wifi network. Once they are both connected to the SAME wifi network, go to your iPhone. Go to Settings>Wifi>Click the little blue arrow next to the wifi network you're connected to. Write down the IP Address, and this is going to be your Server in the SFTP program. Should be something like 192.168.____.____

Port: 22

Username: Don't ask why, but the username will be "root" (without quotes)

Password: "alpine" (without quotes)

Click connect and you should be good to go!

[​IMG]

Setting Your Custom Alert:

While connected to your iPhone in your SFTP program, navigate to the following folder:

System>Library>Audio>UI Sounds

[​IMG]

You should see a bunch of .caf sounds, which is good. Go back to that .aiff you created on your desktop and depending on what you want sound you want to replace, you'll rename it differently.

If you want to replace the SMS tone "TriTone", you're going to name your custom sound "sms-received1.caf". If you want to replace "Chime", you're going to name your sound "sms-received2.caf". Etc, etc, etc,

If you want to replace the sound you get when you reveice new mail, name your sound "new-mail.caf"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can replace any sound you want, but I highly reccomend you backup the stock sounds in case you ever want to go back.

I'll try to add pictures, but I really don't think that's nessecary for this tutorial. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask! Happy Customizing!

• Like Like x 1
  2. hoss halo3 modder

hoss halo3 modder Enthusiast

Ratings:
    YAy I can get rid of this annoying sound lol. Is there a way to change the keyboard clicks?

3. OP
    Coletrain17

Coletrain17 Getting There

Ratings:
    Yessiree! Just navigate to the same folder

System>Library>Audio>UI Sounds

The keyboard click sound is the "tock.caf" Just do what the tutorial says except replace the "tock.caf"

4. hoss halo3 modder

hoss halo3 modder Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Is it the same for the push notification?