Serious Bridgers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Game Modding' started by BRA1NFR33ZE, Nov 20, 2008 with 11 replies and 1,649 views.

1. BRA1NFR33ZE

BRA1NFR33ZE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I'm not sure if this post is going to be okay here, but since it applies directly to gears of war I think the discussion is reasonable enough. If any mods have any problems with it, feel free to move it. Anyways, about this very frustrating problem I am having. I am bridging with 2 ethernet ports on my computer, of which one port is getting internet access from my router. I got all the IP's I needed from following other tutorials to get the xbox live and epic one etc.. Everything worked fine the first night, got host 4/5 tries. Lastnight was when the problems started kicking in. I wasnt getting host one try. I tried maybe 15 times of doing the same method I had previously done, and nothing was working. So I looked around on commview, and I went as far as to add the whole IP ranges from microsoft, and the whole IP ranges listed for Xbox and epic. A whole list of IPs. So then, I got to thinking that I needed to add my own ISP's IP addresses into my trusted zone, so I added their whole range of IP's as well. To make a long story short, I spent all lastnight adding and deleting certain IP's that I thought would be significant in bridging for GOW2. And I still have nothing. I even went into my routers(linksys) operation mode, and made sure the correct ports were being forwarded. Anything I could think of, and still, to no avail I cannot get host what so ever anymore. If anyone has anymore knowledge on bridging, or general network connections in general, much help would be appreciated if you think I'm leaving out something major. You're all my last hope!!:cursing:

P.s. - I'm actually not computer illiterate. I have pretty extensive knowledge on networking for computers, and I bridged halo 2 for the longest time. So just say simple suggestions like " check your firewall " probably wont help :wink:

2. Bridget

Bridget Banned

Ratings:
    I don't know how much you know about bridging because you could just follow tutorials to get things to work which doesn't necessarily mean you understand it. Adding random IPs wont help because you only need a few. Can you at least get on XBL with an open NAT with your firewall off? Is your problem bridging or forcing host?

3. OP
    BRA1NFR33ZE

BRA1NFR33ZE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I looked at the tutorials to get the epic and xbox live Ip addresses without having to use commview myself. When things stopped working, is when I finally started checking everything out myself. I have no problem getting on XBL, with an open NAT and my firewall off. I have no problem bridging, the only problem I have is actually forcing myself host anymore on GOW2. I think their servers are starting to really switch which IP's they use, and starting to reject people who seem to force host, as in when it says updating settings, the servers stop selecting you as much as host because of your connection status. Who nows. Bleh

4. Bridget

Bridget Banned

Ratings:
    I was able to do it yesterday. I don't use Commview either, I just use ZoneAlarm's notifications to get the IPs of friends in private chat. My trusted zones look like this: DNS, DNS2, MTU, XBL, EPIC and then a few friends. The only router changes I have made are disabling UPnP and a DMZ for my Xbox and of course I manualize my Xbox's network settings. You have an open NAT so that last sentence shouldn't be the problem. Also, I'm on wireless Vista using a free version of ZoneAlarm, going into expert mode isn't required. My MTU, XBL and EPIC zones are ranges with the fourth octet from 0 to 255. Can you get an open NAT with your firewall on?

5. bubblebuddyi

bubblebuddyi Enthusiast

Ratings:
  6. Bridget

Bridget Banned

Ratings:
  7. bubblebuddyi

bubblebuddyi Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yeah it still works... i was doing all of yesterday

8. OP
    BRA1NFR33ZE

BRA1NFR33ZE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    So, bridget, you're saying that you have both UPnP and DMZ disabled on you'r router? I have UPnP disabled, but I'm putting my Xbox in the DMZ zone, with a manually assigned static IP, as always. So you have no port forwarding enabled at all on your router? I may just need to completely reset my router to default if all else fails. You should be able to bridge yourself host regardless if you have a full party or not, either way you're still blocking out other members to steal host from yourself. With a full party, this is just much easier.

9. bubblebuddyi

bubblebuddyi Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Ok well if you figure out a way to bridge urself host without a full party, be sure to let everyone know.:thumbup:

10. OP
    BRA1NFR33ZE

BRA1NFR33ZE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well nevermind, I guess I am now finding out I cannot even get an open NAT with my firewall on low, medium or high. I guess thats my problem. I just now have to figure out what in the world is giving my connection a moderate NAT with every single thing I can think of turned off. I may just spontaneously combust into flames soon enough

11. Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:

I gave myself host for about 20 games in a row with just me and 1 friend. It was good fun lagging out the people from other countries :biggrin:

12. Bridget

Bridget Banned

Ratings:
    UPnP is disabled... and I have a DMZ for my 360's static ip. If you're bridged and your firewall isn't affecting the bridge, you need to reinstall your firewall. Your firewall must always be installed after you bridge the hardware in windows. Gears 2 makes sure you have a full team before loading the voting lobby. If you go in by yourself, matchmaking will first find your teammates and you can't do that if you're blocking everyone. The people on your team must be trusted to enter the voting lobby, whether you know them or not. Either get a full party or trust the randoms when it says player found.