What's new

Tutorial Se7ensins YouTube Media Submissions Guide (In-Depth)

Wavy

Wavy

Content Creator
Retired
Platinum Record Video Connoisseur Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
pumpkin.png

First of all, if you have not read our general guidelines and submission rules, please refer to this link here. Also, the standard forum board rules apply when commentating/making videos as well. Thank you!

- Project Management Team

Now that we have that out of the way, let's get started.

The Idea

The one question you need to ask yourself when making a video for the Se7ensins YouTube/Media Tab, is what are you trying to do with your video? What are you trying to accomplish? Videos need a purpose, something that the video can get across to its viewers. Nobody wants to watch a video with no real point to it (most times). Are you trying to showcase gameplay of a new title? Provide a tutorial of something? Identify your point, and then work with that idea the entire recording of your video.

Tutorials/Glitches/Exploits
If you are making a tutorial, you should be explaining every single step down to the buttons you press, directions you move, actions you take, and so forth. Do not leave anything out and remember to get as detailed as possible. It is also a good idea to explain what will happen if done incorrectly, or works but not in the right way. Cover all the aspects and details as you can.

NOTE: Not all glitch videos will get approved, it all depends on the developer of the game, and whether or not that developer will strike our video for displaying the glitch/exploit.

Gameplays
When providing footage of a game, it is recommended that you talk about the game you are playing itself. No matter if the game is new or old to you, be sure to share your experiences with the audience as you go. Vocalize your thoughts and movements as you make them to enhance the experience. Also, try your best not to have extended moments of silence. Do not fret though, even if you do have parts where you are quiet, you can edit them out later. It is all in the practice.

Let's Plays
Let's Plays are similar to Gameplays, but the content is also focused on more than just giving opinions of where the game is going or reactions of certain things. Obviously still share your experiences, but the more content about the game you can discuss, the better. However, because Let's Plays should incorporate multiple people playing the game together, the focus should also be on working with one another as a team, and the interactions between all the players in general. A Let's Play without discussions between the players is dull and would probably not be accepted.

The Equipment

Alright, you've got your idea. Now what? Well, your idea should be accompanied by some decent quality equipment. The recommended devices you should have are a microphone, a PC for editing/recording, and a game capture card (if applicable). Some of these things have substitutes, but for the most case, this is the recommended equipment list.

The Microphone
Having a clear, quality sounding voice for commentary is very important. It increases the professional tone of your video, and give users a pleasant audio experience. However, using the integrated microphone on your PC is clearly not as pleasing to the ear as say the popular Blue Snowball/Yeti recording mics. If you have low quality sounding audio, chances are your submission will be denied.

The PC & Programs
If you are recording a game on the PC itself, then obviously you need some quality specs and hardware for your computer to do so, while maintaining a decent looking recording. You can head over the the PC Build & Hardware Support section for help on that end. In addition though, what programs you use to record and edit are also very important aspects of a media submission. Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Bandicam, Audacity, and OBS are programs I have found to be useful for various parts of creating a good video. Some or all of these programs can be used for PC and/or console gaming videos, so really it is up to you to find your perfect combination.

List of programs to use for editing and/or recording:
Game Capture (Console Gaming)
Roxio, Hauppauge, and Elgato are the main three capture devices I know of for console recording (besides the built in DVR features for PS4 and Xbox One, which also work decently if used correctly). Using those to record your gameplay will give you HD recordings, and that is definitely something we like to see. 720p HD is the lowest quality that still looks alright in my opinion. Anything lower is somewhat obsolete by now when dealing with gaming videos. Though, just because you made your recording HD, does not mean you are done!

Editing
While you might have a solid 50 minute video of yourself commentating over an HD gameplay, it is best to cut down the time to something shorter. I like to keep my videos around 20 minutes for just regular gameplays, and if I do a series, then around 40 minutes maximum per episode would suffice. Anyway, editing your video is the next step to take for your video to be more professional, clean, and quality-oriented. As I mentioned before, it is a good idea to cut out the parts that have a long pause in your commentary. Cut out parts with loading screens as well, unless you have something you want to elaborate on in that point of time. Things I would not cut out would be game cut-scenes or important dialog. Viewers may like to read, hear, and see those things, so make sure to keep them in there.

Tips and Suggestions

Originality
The importance of this is to maintain content that is different from the rest. On one side, it provides the viewer with something that will keep them interested, something they may have never seen before, and the feeling that our content is unique. On the other side, we obviously do not want people thinking that we take our YouTube ideas from other places.

Commentary
Before talking about this, just know that any video without commentary (Short Clip submissions for Wacky Wednesdays and such excluded) will not be accepted.

Your voice can be one of the most important, if not the most important, parts of your videos. It cannot be stressed enough! Having a good microphone is helpful, but it also does not magically turn your voice into something we all like to hear. Your pitch, tone, and expression are all taken into account too. When you are commentating, you want to make sure the mic is close enough to pick up your voice, but is also far enough so that you do not produce any static. Getting too close to the mic can result in that. Although, it does depend on the mic you have. Generally, a good distance is usually about a foot away minimum from your mouth for desk mics, or 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 inches for headset mics.

Now, we also need to focus on the way you sound. Obviously the more enthusiasm and pep you put into your voice, the better. Though, too much enthusiasm can be irritating too. Speak like you care who is listening I always say. Another thing is sounding confident. It is not like you are giving a public speech, and it is not like you are being rushed to finish the recording. Just take your time, speak clearly, and you are good to go!

Do's
  • Talk a good amount in your videos, maybe even ask your viewers questions. Viewer interaction is a good habit to get into.
  • Stay relaxed and speak confidently.
  • Speak with enthusiasm!
  • Don't forget to add an Intro and Outro to properly address and close out your video.
Dont's
  • Racist, sexist, and other offensive remarks.
  • Excessive swearing.
  • Monotone or quiet voices.
  • Unnecessary mic sounds (Eating, heavy breathing, screaming, drink slurping, etc)
Other than that guys, use your best judgement and be yourself in your videos. Take in this guide as an aid for your submissions, and just have fun with it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, Kankuro Kankuro , or any of the other Project Managers. Also, feel free to comment and suggest things you think should be added as well. We are just as open to constructive criticism as you are!

Thanks for reading, and hope to see you all on our Media Tab!

For your reference...

Last edited by a moderator:
boonk

boonk

7's 4 eva
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
List of programs to use for editing and/or recording:
This is a well-written thread with a very useful list of programs that one can choose from, so I found it very helpful. As much as I like Sony Vegas Pro, they want you to sign a yearly contract with them while Adobe Premiere has a month-to-month subscription.

The Premier Pro plans are $31.49 /mo, the Yearly - Billed Monthly is $20.99 /mo ($251.88 /year), and the Yearly - Billed Upfront is $239.88 /yr ($19.99 /mo).

In terms of Sony Vegas plans, you can choose from Vegas Edit 365 (video editing for creators) for $155.88/yr, Vegas Pro 365 (video, audio & streaming for creators) for $239.88/yr, or Vegas Post 365 (video post production for creators) for $359.88/yr.

At the time of writing this post, Sony is currently running a promotion for their products that will end on January 31, 2023.

There is a 38% saving on Vegas Edit 365, a 50% saving on Vegas Pro 365, and a 50% saving on Vegas Post 365. It costs $95.88 for Vegas Edit 365, $119.88 for Vegas Pro 365, and $179.88 for Vegas Post 365.

There are probably a number of times throughout the year when Sony runs this promotion, but I am not sure.

The cheapest option would be Premier if you intend to edit just a few videos within a month and that's all you'll need. Sony on the other hand has the most compelling offer at $155.88/yr and it does not require any promotion to be run. In contrast, when you compare the Vegas Pro 365 yearly plan with the Premiere Pro yearly plan, the price remains the same, $239.88 per year.

Top Bottom
Login
Register