☣ CabooseSayzWTF ☣
Premium
Hidden Devils
Modder Frame In Gold Pumpking
Reaction score
Sin$
Seagate Backup Slim 2TB Usb 3.0: Works
Ebay references: Here
I use the original black version, I have no idea if the special design versions will work.

1. Make sure your xk3y is set up to use ISOMENU. (Tut Here)
ISOMENU Is 100% safe to use. I have used it for 3 years now.
(I do not recommend using DVDMENU, its the same thing as ISOMENU, however it uses a custom interface to launch your games)

2. More than likely the standard cable is not enough power to run this drive
so buy a cable like this(Y-Cable Picture) - (Y-Cable References)

3. Then buy a extender USB cable, so you can have more area to work with with the extra power cable attached to the Y-Cable. (USB Extender Picture) - (USB Extender References, 6ft) (You can buy however long of a extender usb cable you want, but I use the 6ft versions)

4. Plug the external drive DIRECTLY into the usb dongle on the back of your xbox.
Now plug the extender usb cable into the extra power cable on the Y-Cable, and plug it directly into a wall outlet, or a PC. My personal recommendations.
- You do not want to plug the extra power cable from the Y-Cable directly into another xbox port, 90% of the time you will get game stutters, slow down, or hard drive disc read errors, because the xbox 90% of the time wont have enough power to run the external drive.

5. Once plugged in wait anywhere from 15-30 seconds and do as you normally would with ISOMENU.
- Eject tray with controller or dvd drive, it should say closing tray shortly after, then reading. Then go to music/audio and choose CD and profit.

1. Make sure your xk3y is set up to use xk3y remote (Tut Here)

2. More than likely the standard cable is not enough power to run this drive
so buy a cable like this(Y-Cable Picture) - (Y-Cable References)
-Even though the (Updated xk3y remote) comes with a extra power cable, I do not recommend to use it. The port for that power cable is prone to failure, and not transferring power efficiently.

3. Then buy a extender USB cable, so you can have more area to work with with the extra power cable attached to the Y-Cable. (USB Extender Picture) - (USB Extender References, 6ft) (You can buy however long of a extender usb cable you want, but I use the 6ft versions)

4. Plug the external drive DIRECTLY into one of the ports on your xk3y remote.
Now plug the extender usb cable into the extra power cable on the Y-Cable, and plug it directly into a wall outlet, or a PC. My personal recommendations.
- You do not want to plug the extra power cable from the Y-Cable directly into another xbox port, 90% of the time you will get game stutters, slow down, or hard drive disc read errors, because the xbox 90% of the time wont have enough power to run the external drive.

5. Once plugged in wait anywhere from 15-30 seconds and do as you normally would with the xk3y remote. They xk3y remote should say HDD Connected, if everything was done properly.

Personally this is the best external HDD i have ever used. I highly recommend it. The price is just right for them also, anywhere from 40-60$ is decently cheap compared to other drives. I know some 5tb drives can be cheaper or the same price, however I have never had any luck with anything over 2tb even on the latest update.

I say this is the best drive to use because they almost NEVER FAIL. I have had mine a few years now and have had 0 issues. However with the WD elements, passports, and so on drives, they all have failed on me hundreds of times.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IntoTheVoid

IntoTheVoid

Reaction score
Sin$
I tried a WD My Passport 2TB, seems not to work. Remote says that 1 Game was found but when i try to check them there are no games listet. Same with external power. Is it the hdd or did i format the hdd not correctly?

S

saxjonz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Troubleshooting HDDs

No Games Found In Your HDD (From checking the xkey remote or ISO menu)
1. Make sure that you have your HDD formatted correctly and have a folder called games with your iso's in them.
2. If you have that correct than you might have a issue with your x360key or config file. Check the updates section and ISO menu section in the x360key thread.
M
ake sure those ISO’s are actual ISO’s. The jtag versions don’t work, they are missing files. If you have your folder listed as games, you have the config file set right, as long as your hdd is registering as mixed media it’s working.

S

saxjonz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
...I thought as much. If the hard drive is detected then it’s not the hard drive, it’s what’s inside the folder. All you need is the iso image. I’ve had the same issue as well; when I tried to use xex or even games with a different region code. Check to see this is not the case. Hdd will recognize I’ve those but you can’t play them.

IntoTheVoid

IntoTheVoid

Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, step further. I formatted the HDD with a tool instead of windows and put in a single iso, recognized. Suprisingly, it's depending on which usb plug i use on the remote, the one on the side next to the micro usb works fine. Yeah i thought maybe its an issue with the isos, but i only got the fitting regional codes and they work on another flash drive.

I'm going to test if it depends on how much i put onto the disc, i read a few posts somewhere that some people had this issue with a packed hdd.

S

saxjonz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, this I can save you the frustration that I went through with trying to get this work. You need to leave it sit for awhile. I have over a hundred-maybe around two hundred- games and it took about 20 minutes before it was recognized. After the first time it won’t take that long. I’m just a newb at this and this is what took me months to figure out. So, do what you normally do, leave it until it recognizes the hdd. From that point it works fine. I went the music player route and found that to work for me. It will recognize all playable games inside the folder that are disc images. I added some that I thought were images and some from different regions and they didn’t work. The latter came up as this game is unplayable or some such method. It’s been a few years but it will tell you. There is a way around that apparently but I wasn’t interested in trying it.

Caboose

Caboose

☣ CabooseSayzWTF ☣
Premium
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, step further. I formatted the HDD with a tool instead of windows and put in a single iso, recognized. Suprisingly, it's depending on which usb plug i use on the remote, the one on the side next to the micro usb works fine. Yeah i thought maybe its an issue with the isos, but i only got the fitting regional codes and they work on another flash drive.

I'm going to test if it depends on how much i put onto the disc, i read a few posts somewhere that some people had this issue with a packed hdd.
The remote is not needed at all. Alot of issues are caused by the remote when it comes to reading the hdd, even with the external power cable. It's honestly best to buy a splitter if using a "portable external drive" which all external portable drives are garbage for xk3y use and tend to read 10000% slower, weirdly on xk3ys.(by external i mean the flat rectangle drives) I literally use a 2tb desktop hdd, and got a case with it and a sata cable that connects to the drive then via usb to the xk3y and the sata adapter or whatever itself has a power brick so the drive always has alot of power.. My xk3y takes maybe 1min or so to be notice the drive, and that's with well over 100 games. Xk3ys are very slow with call of duty and halo games as far as map laoding goes and switching menus in those games. If planning to play any cod or halo game, be sure to install them to your xbox 360 drive whiloe using the xk3y, it makes those games play as they normally should, and the xk3y has issues with multi disc games, mostly just the installing part for games that require installing content off the "disc" before playing, which can take a long time.

In short this is a version of what i use: You can swap the drives in it easily
- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-2T...065773?hash=item420b47552d:g:tRsAAOSwR8pdt1G6

I have even went as far as testing a 8tb drive witht he same ammount of games and it worked also, but it took forever for my xk3y to notice it. Xk3ys work best with 50 games or less, less the games, the faster the xk3y reads the iso data. I used to have 500gb drives i would swap out with 20-50 games each, since it just works best, but what i linked above works pretty well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IntoTheVoid

IntoTheVoid

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the help fellas, a few points helped me a lot.
After fiddling around, i can confirm that the Western Digital My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 is usable without power adapter. I still dont know why i had to format it in a tool instead of windows, but after a couple tries in paragon it worked.

Caboose Caboose , tbh i didnt find out how to install game data to the xbox hdd to gain the speed for halo, COD, etc. Does it need a another mod for this option?

Last edited:
Caboose

Caboose

☣ CabooseSayzWTF ☣
Premium
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the help fellas, a few points helped me a lot.
After fiddling around, i can confirm that the Western Digital My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 is usable without power adapter. I still dont know why i had to format it in a tool instead of windows, but after a couple tries in paragon it worked.

Caboose Caboose , tbh i didnt find out how to install game data to the xbox hdd to gain the speed for halo, COD, etc. Does it need a another mod for this option?
In theory you could mess with the hddtimer line in the cfg file, so the hdd gets kicked in x amount of time but i'm not sure, as I never really fiddled with it. You can however just press x or y once the game shows up to install it to the hdd drive or just use a physical copy of the disc and install it then use your xk3y to launch it. This tricked worked somewhat for me and did increase load times. I really need to look into the hddtimer thing, which i'll have to do another day when I have time to do so.

Mr Knife God

Mr Knife God

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Has anyone got a Seagate 2TB hard drive to work? Doesn't seem to work for me.

S

saxjonz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Has anyone got a Seagate 2TB hard drive to work? Doesn't seem to work for me.
Have you gotten others to work for you? I use what I think is an 8tb (6?) and have over 2 terabytes of stuff in it. I needed to leave it on for a good 45 minutes till it recognized the drive then after was always quick to recognize. Does that help?

Top Bottom
Login
Register