B

Buzz Lightyear

Young Moolah Baby
VIP
Retired
Sinner
Reaction score

28948-220719-2.jpg
According to industry sources, Microsoft is in the process of developing a micro-transaction system to bring free to play gaming to the Xbox 360.

What does this mean? You get the game(s) for free. The catch? You pay for in-game items or special upgrades, giving you premium access to said game. Not bad, given that nowadays, you spend in excess of $40 for a video game, then have to pay additional costs to get the full experience.

A good example of free to play is Team Fortress 2, which is the latest video game, available on Steam, to hit free to play.

Microsoft, always looking at ways of making a profit. I applaud them though. They are to give the consumer free games, but not forcefully want anything in return. The option is in your hands, as well as your wallet.

Sources:

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
I hate micr-transaction games... I hope this doesn't happen, although it will gain them a lot of new users probably but I'd rather buy the full game and have everything instead of getting half the game then spending more on extra guns and armor and crap....

W

Wonton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh, I like this idea but if you have to grind for hours on end or simply pay like $25 for the best gear, a lot of people will waste a lot more than a $60 videogame.

Take Maplestory for example, I don't play anymore but those micro-transactions are EXTREMELY expensive and those clothes/weapons only last for 90 days so in 3 months you will have to pay more money...

And people who try to be the coolest with the godliest gear are simply wasting their money, I know people who have spent over $1000 on that game but then their like: "OMG I'M SO COOL I CAN HIT HIGHER THAN YOU HERP DERP"

T

TeddeRz

Getting There
Reaction score
i would pre-fare the whole game so i dont have to mess around with msp

Lolipop7s

Lolipop7s

Getting There
Reaction score
wait will it be on xbox marketplace or will it be like a disc in a box like the picture above...

b colub12

b colub12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wait will it be on xbox marketplace or will it be like a disc in a box like the picture above...

Of course no one knows for sure, but my guess would be the marketplace. Being Free to play, people would just be running into stores taking like 20 of them and a lot of money would be wasted on shipping & packaging. Plus all free-to-play games on the PC are always downloaded, never a box in a store.

Zuke

Maaaaaaauuuuuu5

Curb Appeal.
Fabled Veteran Legendary Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Nice :smile: this was rumored with no details awhile ago i think ?

WickedxJosh

WickedxJosh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally like F2P games. Currently my favorite game is World of Tanks and I have only spent about $20 in the game but I still am pretty far in it. Plus they have it set up so you never do actually need to spend money but trust me you want to.

I lucked out though, at E3 I got almost $50 in free stuff from them...

Illusory

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Getting There
Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Isn't this what they initially planned for Joy Ride?

Faffy

Faffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you know you get the game but then they come out with $15 map packs :tongue:

RangerEDinc

RangerEDinc

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
The big question. What games are going to be available?

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Fabled Veteran Donator Bright Idea
Reaction score
For some reason I had a feeling this was going to happen. I hate F2P games. I'd rather spend $60 and actually have to work in the game to obtain the items. Not buy them... That takes the fun out of the game. <_<

-marijuana-

-marijuana-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not that bad of an idea, but im not sure if ill be into

I

IxSPAWNxKILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as they dont do it for big titles or it doesnt exceed the normal $60 then this is fine

InfectHead

-Kamil-

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Microsoft just following TF2 :tongue:

But anyway, I don't mind. I would enjoy free games, I wouldn't care about getting the best equipment, I'd just use what I have without paying a cent :smile:

Mafea

7S Dubstep

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... I read the topic name and got excited... (Thinking Microsoft was going to make online free) xD

That's still interesting thought :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register