What's new

Solved RRoD Error code 4142 how to fix and cope

SaiMB

SaiMB

Reaction score
Sin$
The RRoD Error code I have today is 4 1 4 2, Which means three parts of the ring are red, After a lot of testing i found out it has something to do with the disc tray it's usually classified as a hardware failure and most idiots would tell you to just throw the console away however it can still be used conditionally.

Now i know what i am about to say is gonna sound pretty stupid but you came to se7ensin for help so i think you are out of options, You are going to have to put two cotton swabs in the fans in the back of the console you are going to have to eye ball it too make sure one is in each fan, turn the system on and let it sit. eventually it will turn from 3 parts of the ring to 2 parts of the ring once this has happened turn of the system remove the cotton swabs and turn it back on.

After that you will be prompted about the system being overheated or some crap like that, once you see then you should be able to go to the dashboard by hitting the (B) on your controller.

Now you will be able to use your xbox 360 however i recommend you no longer play disc games or use the disc tray... you may play games that you have got from the xbox live store otherwise known as games on demand or use an 'xK3Y360' and should not have a problem.

Source: I recently obtained a broken xbox 360 from a friend i know, he didn't want to throw it away but he didn't have any money to send it to microsoft so they could fix it so naturally he came right to me for help once i noticed it only had 3 parts of the ring filled i immediately got the error code which was '4 1 4 2' and did what the community dubbed the towel trick and the system worked so then i started to test it...
eventually after letting the system sit and some other endurance tests like that, I decided to play a game it worked for a while but then i heard the dreaded noise of a disc grinding in the tray and then finally Red Ring of DEATH! I went to get the Error code once again and it showed '4 1 4 2' again so i repeated the towel trick this time using cotton swabs to speed up the process to get my game out but it was too late but it really didn't matter because it was "halo: reach" which was free at the time :smile:
So after all this i went to download "halo: Reach" and 45 minutes later i went to play and it worked and didn't have a problem until i decided to try to use the tray again which another game met its death that day -.- ( For the respect of the deceased the name of the game will not be revealed.)

Thanks for reading and please let me know if i helped you!

Last edited:
HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
No, just no. Why don't you just wrap a towel around it and stick it in your oven.... I can't believe these threads even still exist.

SaiMB

SaiMB

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not going to reject your opinion, but it doesn't even matter anymore i made this thread or well what it says in it on another forum site and just copied it over. I have already installed an xkey in it and i no longer need the disc tray and the system hasn't given me crap since :biggrin: 
No, just no. Why don't you just wrap a towel around it and stick it in your oven.... I can't believe these threads even still exist.

Okay then someone has anger issues.

Top Bottom
Login
Register