Solved RROD Error 0021

• Thread starter Benji86
  • Start date
  • Views 1,666
B

Benji86

Reaction score
Hello.
Right had this xbox which was RROD for ages, I can't fix it for my life.
It has the error 0021 and hasn't changed.
I got it out earlier today cause I thought maybe its JTAGable. So I turn it on, still RROD, changed the disc drive and bang it loads.
Its JTAGable so I dump the nand, re-write XBReboot on there.
Go to start it back up, and the 0021 error is back.
I have tried 3 disc drives so I know its not that and 3 different cables.
I'm guessing it booting was a fluke, anyone know how to fix this.
Reflow it? If so where should I focus or is there anything I can do to test the problem, eg put weight on GPU, CPU or a chip?
Thanks Guys.

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
This can be caused by two completely different things either:
A. DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard based on how it connects to the DVD drive.
B. GPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints)

also

Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.

D

Duddy79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a xbox with 0021 awhile back. It was the southbrige chip needed a reflow. The southbridge ship is the one with the shiny silver microsoft label on it circle shaped. I reflowed that and it booted right up. I would suggest that.

B

Benji86

Reaction score
I had a xbox with 0021 awhile back. It was the southbrige chip needed a reflow. The southbridge ship is the one with the shiny silver microsoft label on it circle shaped. I reflowed that and it booted right up. I would suggest that.

Thanks guys,
Do you recommend heating the top or bottom side of the motherboard with the southbridge chip?
Thanks

B

Benji86

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Do you recommend heating the top or bottom side of the motherboard with the southbridge chip?
Thanks

Just a follow up, I reflowed the southbridge and GPU from the top and bottom as the bottom didn't do anything then the top has now got the error code to change from 0021 to 0020 after putting the heatsinks back on.
I am just trying to overheat the console and see if that fixes it, if not, any ideas?

Top Bottom