Router to Router connection

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by T Sizzles, Feb 7, 2009 with 10 replies and 112 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    So here's what I have.

Linksys WRT54G > 50ft ethernet cable to a wall jack I installed. From there, I have an ethernet cable going to a Linksys BEFSR41v4 wired router that goes to a PC and my 360.

I'm trying to configure the wired router to take a static IP, and set the IP ranges in both routers so they don't intefere. I'm having some trouble with this though. What should I do to get this setup working?

Thanks

(And when I try to connect to Live, I get a DNS error).

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Your primary router (WRT) needs to be the DHCP server and is default 192.168.1.1. This means you need to turn OFF DHCP on your BEFSR router and give IT the static IP of 192.168.1.2. Set your subnet on this router to 255.255.255.0. Your DNS settings should be set to 192.168.1.1 (Primary router) or you can use whatever DNS settings are shown on your primary router. Make sure you plug your ethernet cable from your primary router into one of the NUMBERED ports on your secondary router, DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT ON YOUR SECOND ROUTER

That should do it I think....let me know what you come up with

• Like Like x 1
  3. SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR Retired Retired

Ratings:
    one error, make the static ip of the second router 192.168.2.1 so it is it's own network and doesn't conflict at all.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    It won't conflict regardless....

5. SiK GambleR

Ratings:
    when i set it up I did exactly what you said, but because my secondary computer was .1.2 and i set the router to that .. it blew. I changed the pc's IP but for some reasonevery 6 months or so my IP on that machine would change itself and it kept going for .1.2 .. just to avoid anything that MAY happen EVER make it 2.1 .. that and it's harder to remote access .2.1 from outside your network.

6. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Well duh it blew it's because you had 2 devices using the same IP address...I told him 192.168.1.2 assuming .2 hadn't been used...if he's using DCHP on his first linksys his IPs should start at .100

7. SiK GambleR

Ratings:
    Yeah, never assume, bBecause then people just mess up for no reason and blame you. =P

8. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Sizzles are you a winner?

9. SiK GambleR

Ratings:
  10. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I thought I had posted here after I got it working Saturday, but I guess I didn't.

I did get it working, but then I did something in the software and it ****ed up, had to hard reset it and re-do it all over again.

11. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Awesome glad I could help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.