Router is an ***

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by confused5, Jun 23, 2009 with 7 replies and 228 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Alright so I'm working with a Belkin N1 wireless router that is connected to the internet through a Comcast modem and works with ethernet connections. I was having problems connecting to the wireless so I reset it to factory settings and the wireless worked. Once that was up, I set a password for the router itself, reset it and it was still broadcasting. I set up WPA security for it, reset it and it still worked. Now when i went in and changed the SSID and reset it, the router stopped broadcasting wireless. It's supposed to be broadcasting the SSID but it's not doing that either; wtf?

2. Ibdc

Ibdc VIP VIP Retired

Ratings:
    I suppose you could try doing everything over again, resetting it to factory defaults and then setting it all up again. Also try deleting the wireless profiles from the devices that are using the router, and then re-adding them.

3. OP
    confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    It's the third time I've done that lol, it happens when I use the setup software too. I don't see anything about wireless profiles

Edit: Alright nevermind I fixed it. Restored it to factory settings for the 4th time and only changed a couple of options manually and used the setup assistant for the rest. I think it might just have been that Belkin routers suck :tongue:

4. Sharp Focus

Sharp Focus Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Sounds like you need a new router....

5. Saiyan

Saiyan Member

Ratings:
    Well there's your problem right there.

6. OP
    confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I know, it's my grandparents' beach house and my uncle was the one who bought the router. When he came home with it last summer i was like crap...

7. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    Buy a Buffalo router and install the Tomato firmware on it.

But as for your current problem try using WEP :mellow:

8. OP
    confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    It wasn't the encryption that was the problem, it's working now with WPA. It was manually changing SSID and Channel settings that caused it to stop broadcasting