What's new

Question RGH Xbox 360 Disconnects from Xbox Live At Random

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good afternoon,

I bought an RGH Xbox 360 console from Console Warehouse last week. I've been having fun with it, and I've been able to successfully mod and play GTA: Episodes from Liberty City on Xbox Live.
I do have a few issues with internet connections I can't seem to resolve. At random, while playing online, Xbox Live will disconnect. Sometimes I can play for 30 minutes, sometimes 1 hour, sometimes only 5 minutes; it's like a lottery! I never know when I'm going to disconnect and get kicked from multiplayer, and sent back to singleplayer. It's really inconvenient. Sometimes I can sign back in, sometimes I can't - it will say something is wrong with my connection. The only way to resolve it is to shut down the console, and turn it back on. I can then sign in again, until the connection decides my fate of how long until it happens again.

The console shipped with Xb-Online and is not banned (no KV). I cleared the system cache several times, restored the internet connection settings to factory default, and in Dashlaunch - liveblock and livestrong are disabled.

I figured Xb-online was potentially the issue. So today I installed Teapot. It seemed to work okay at first, I played multiplayer for 20 minutes, then BAM, it disconnected as usual. I tried signing back into Xbox Live, and it says I can't connect.

I rebooted the console and I could sign in again, but only for a few minutes until it happens again. It will sometimes even disconnect randomly just sitting on the Xbox 360 dashboard.

Additionally, I have to use an ethernet cable to connect to the internet. My connection fails if I attempt to use the WiFi, and it fails all three steps of the Xbox Live connection test. Ethernet connection is the only option. This is the slim console with the internal integrated wifi chip. Mind you, my regular non-RGH fat Xbox 360 is able to connect to my WiFi so I don't think it could be my WiFi?

I read other threads on Se7ensins but none of them ever got resolved or did not resolve my issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd be so thankful to get this working properly.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Scaling the Mountain Beginning of An Odyssey Bright Idea
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
The console shipped with Xb-Online and is not banned (no KV). I cleared the system cache several times, restored the internet connection settings to factory default, and in Dashlaunch - liveblock and livestrong are disabled.

I have never had success with XBO nor Teapot in recent times.
Try either Proto or Nfinite. Both are available to download from 7s, and many users here have had great success with both servers.

As for disconnecting, you might be using shared KVs with the stealth servers which may be causing issues. I personally like to use my own KVs (I actually harvest them myself from consoles, though I don’t sell them or I buy them from random kv sellers online.)

Or, one of your plugins is going crazy and conflicting with others causing issues. I would suggest trying a game in solo mode while connected to Xbox live, with no mods. If you don’t disconnect it’s probably related to either the mods you’re using or a plug-in clashing.

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have never had success with XBO nor Teapot in recent times.
Try either Proto or Nfinite. Both are available to download from 7s, and many users here have had great success with both servers.

As for disconnecting, you might be using shared KVs with the stealth servers which may be causing issues. I personally like to use my own KVs (I actually harvest them myself from consoles, though I don’t sell them or I buy them from random kv sellers online.)

Or, one of your plugins is going crazy and conflicting with others causing issues. I would suggest trying a game in solo mode while connected to Xbox live, with no mods. If you don’t disconnect it’s probably related to either the mods you’re using or a plug-in clashing.
Thank you for responding!
I'll try Proto again. I didn't have any luck with it yesterday but I didn't give it a fair chance. Wondering if it could also be an issue with not being able to port forward the console.
Edit: Same issue with Proto. Disconnects from Xbox Live as soon as I try to join a match. Maybe it's something to do with the KV? I don't know a lot about them but it says mine is unbanned. Am I able to get a new one and replace the one the console shipped with?

Last edited:
Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Am I able to get a new one and replace the one the console shipped with?
Yes, there’s no verified sellers on site so I can’t direct you to anyone to buy them from. But you easily can do this!

What all plugins do you have set on dashlaunch? Are the games you’re playing entirely retail downloads or are they modded downloads?

Proto specifically is a stealth to mostly mimic the experience of a retail console - it’s not really built to handle modding (it’s a very basic but also very reliable stealth).

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
With Proto: I have proto.xex as #1 and BYPASSv2.0.xex as #2 (a bypass used for GTA: Episodes from Liberty City).

When I use xb-Online I have xbdm.xex as #1, xb-Online.xex as #2, JRPC2.xex as #3, RPC.xex as #4, and BYPASSV2.0.xex as #5.

I tried playing Modern Warfare 3 with only proto.xex enabled, and disabled BYPASSV2.0.xex to see if that plugin was causing the issue. It still wouldn't connect.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Go with
1) xbdm
2) proto (or other stealth)
3) jrpc2

In your root HDD, have your jrpc2 ini as a blank ini file for testing purposes.

Turn on console, don’t sign in to an account but sit on the dashboard. See how long it takes to get kicked.

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Go with
1) xbdm
2) proto (or other stealth)
3) jrpc2

In your root HDD, have your jrpc2 ini as a blank ini file for testing purposes.

Turn on console, don’t sign in to an account but sit on the dashboard. See how long it takes to get kicked.
Alright, I'll try that.

FYI, since we last spoke, I bought and installed a fresh KV and cpu.ini file which was unsuccessful. Tomorrow I have a new ethernet cable being delivered, which I also thought could be potential issue... if the current one I'm using is damaged or defective.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, I'll try that.

FYI, since we last spoke, I bought and installed a fresh KV and cpu.ini file which was unsuccessful. Tomorrow I have a new ethernet cable being delivered, which I also thought could be potential issue... if the current one I'm using is damaged or defective.
At least we can eliminate your KV from being shared and potentially flagged this way.
If your console can’t even connect via the built in wifi though, I’m not sure an Ethernet cord will make a difference. But, keeping it simple is often best for troubleshooting!

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
At least we can eliminate your KV from being shared and potentially flagged this way.
If your console can’t even connect via the built in wifi though, I’m not sure an Ethernet cord will make a difference. But, keeping it simple is often best for troubleshooting!
I can confirm the new ethernet cable did not fix my issue.

Regarding your test: My console remained on the dashboard, with a message above the guide button stating "Proto is Ready to Connect". The console stayed here indefinitely until power saving mode turned off the console after 1 hour. I didn't get kicked or anything, but then again it wasn't connected to Xbox Live to begin with.

All that remains is to try port forwarding, but the router login doesn't work anymore since last week. One more thing to figure out.

Otherwise, I now assume it's likely a hardware issue with the console itself and I'll need to return it. It should be noted, something is "rattling" inside of the console when I move it.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Otherwise, I now assume it's likely a hardware issue with the console itself and I'll need to return it. It should be noted, something is "rattling" inside of the console when I move it.
The rattle could be a simple issue, one of my consoles rattles like a snake sometimes.
However, try to connect to proto and let it sit for a bit (repeating the test you previously just did - but signed in to XBL.) and see if any issues.
We’ve eliminated any sort of overtemp shut offs since it went into power test mode rather than some wonky ness caused by heat.

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The rattle could be a simple issue, one of my consoles rattles like a snake sometimes.
However, try to connect to proto and let it sit for a bit (repeating the test you previously just did - but signed in to XBL.) and see if any issues.
We’ve eliminated any sort of overtemp shut offs since it went into power test mode rather than some wonky ness caused by heat.

Signed in with Protos, Xbox Live Disconnected after approximately 2 minutes. I was sitting on the Xbox 360 home dashboard.

It's interesting you mention heat, I notice my Xbox Live connection seems to get worse the longer I play. On a cold boot I can play 20ish minutes, after that it wont last more than 5 minutes regardless of what I do. Interestingly enough, Xb-online seems to last the longest. I can't get into an online game at all with Protos and Teapot.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Signed in with Protos, Xbox Live Disconnected after approximately 2 minutes. I was sitting on the Xbox 360 home dashboard.

It's interesting you mention heat, I notice my Xbox Live connection seems to get worse the longer I play. On a cold boot I can play 20ish minutes, after that it wont last more than 5 minutes regardless of what I do. Interestingly enough, Xb-online seems to last the longest. I can't get into an online game at all with Protos and Teapot.
This is definitely weird behavior.
I am leaning torwards the nand is semi corrupted from previous experience…. (A friend couldn’t connect to XBL - or even use his dashboard. His nand file was only like half what it should have been.)

By chance, do you have the retail nand on hand? (I remember some console shops would send it on a flash drive or include a download link to it in the past.)
If so, you can try to rebuild a nand from your retail nand and flash it using like Simplenandflasher homebrew application.
Or, ultimately, like you said above contact the seller and see what they can offer you.

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This is definitely weird behavior.
I am leaning torwards the nand is semi corrupted from previous experience…. (A friend couldn’t connect to XBL - or even use his dashboard. His nand file was only like half what it should have been.)

By chance, do you have the retail nand on hand? (I remember some console shops would send it on a flash drive or include a download link to it in the past.)
If so, you can try to rebuild a nand from your retail nand and flash it using like Simplenandflasher homebrew application.
Or, ultimately, like you said above contact the seller and see what they can offer you.

Never heard of a nand before, but is this something that would be new and replaced if I were to get another console from the same seller?

I'll look into contacting the seller. They are a reputable company and sell a lot of these RGH consoles, hopefully they'll warranty it.

Edit: Shipped back to the UK! Hopefully the new console will resolve the problem. I'll update when I get the new console. I kept the hard drive and will put the hard drive in the new console. hopefully that wont be an issue.

Last edited:
Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Never heard of a nand before, but is this something that would be new and replaced if I were to get another console from the same seller?
Nands are console-based (they are what gets modified to become an rgh/jtag). It comes from a retail console, gets modified by JRunner program, and injected back into the console with the applicable glitch wiring and becomes a rgh/jtag.

Edit: Shipped back to the UK! Hopefully the new console will resolve the problem. I'll update when I get the new console. I kept the hard drive and will put the hard drive in the new console. hopefully that wont be an issue.
transferring harddrives isn’t an issue on modded consoles usually.

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Nands are console-based (they are what gets modified to become an rgh/jtag). It comes from a retail console, gets modified by JRunner program, and injected back into the console with the applicable glitch wiring and becomes a rgh/jtag.

transferring harddrives isn’t an issue on modded consoles usually.

I got the new console. Granted, I'm able to play for longer it seems. Sometimes upwards of 1 hour, but it will still disconnect. I can live with this though, it's enough time to have fun.

I looked into the error messages I'm getting when trying to connect wirelessly (this console still can't connect to my WIFi):

diVv7li.jpg

EyXIJE5.jpg

Ethernet cables are more reliable regardless, but I'm wondering if my inability to connect wirelessly has something to do with stealth servers disconnecting.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I got the new console. Granted, I'm able to play for longer it seems. Sometimes upwards of 1 hour, but it will still disconnect. I can live with this though, it's enough time to have fun.

I looked into the error messages I'm getting when trying to connect wirelessly (this console still can't connect to my WIFi):

diVv7li.jpg

EyXIJE5.jpg

Ethernet cables are more reliable regardless, but I'm wondering if my inability to connect wirelessly has something to do with stealth servers disconnecting.
It’s pretty rare for stealth servers to go down now a days, especially between Proto & nfinite. I believe they both have upwards of 99% uptime.
This error message is quite strange, I haven’t seen it specifically… but I can do a little digging and see if I come up with anything over the next few days or so!

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It’s pretty rare for stealth servers to go down now a days, especially between Proto & nfinite. I believe they both have upwards of 99% uptime.
This error message is quite strange, I haven’t seen it specifically… but I can do a little digging and see if I come up with anything over the next few days or so!

Thanks brother, I appreciate that. Not sure what could be the cause. My regular retail consoles (360 and PS5) have no issues and it shows my NAT as open. Not sure what's going on.

I'm tempted to take the RGH console to a different home and try connecting to the WiFi.

Original Light

Original Light

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Almost 1 year later... I found out the issue.

I was entering the incorrect WiFi Password, which is why the console would not connect wirelessly.

When using the wired LAN connection, the console would bypass the WiFi password requirement but obviously there is some sort of security issue, or something else, which results in it frequently disconnecting.

Now that I am connected wirelessly, I'm able to play indefinitely without disconnecting. The Wifi password I had been entering was off by one letter all along...

Top Bottom
Login
Register