Solved RGH Heating Issue

• Thread starter Flapdoodle
  • Start date
  • Views 708
F

Flapdoodle

Reaction score
Sin$
After installing a new fan in my Jasper RGH and installing plexiglass cutouts, my Xbox runs alot hotter than it usually did. I can't reinstall the old fan because I had the cut the plug off of that and solder it to the new fan.
What should I do to make it run cooler?
How hot does an Xbox get before getting RROD?

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
After installing a new fan in my Jasper RGH and installing plexiglass cutouts, my Xbox runs alot hotter than it usually did. I can't reinstall the old fan because I had the cut the plug off of that and solder it to the new fan.
Heat in and of itself does not cause the rrod. What temp is it running at?.

HcB_Modding

HcB_Modding

Poke Shop Master
Reaction score
Sin$
I wouldn't worry too much about rrod that's usually cause from excessive heat then the reball starts to go and do you have freestyle dash if so you could try adjusting your fan speed

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
That is really really hot. If i were you i would remove the heatsinks and change out the paste. If fans are running full speeday and it's that hot , that has to be the problem

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
That is really really hot. If i were you i would remove the heatsinks and change out the paste. If fans are running full speeday and it's that hot , that has to be the problem
51C is not hot at all, especially for a phat.

CPU is at 115° F
GPU is at 125° F
Memory is at 115° F

This is with the fan at almost max speed (very loud).
Don't worry about those Temps OP. They are well within the good.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
feel like a retard. i was reading that as Celsius.
If it was Celsius it may be an issue. But yea, in Fahrenheit not to shabby. Could always be better, but at those levels, it ain't worth the time opening it up.

alexhore

alexhore

RGH Artist
Reaction score
Sin$
fan at almost max speed (very loud).

Temps might be OK but that is going to get annoying quick. Just to clarify you have completely removed the rear fans and just stuck one on the side? If so that is not the best approach because the rear fans are designed to pull air through the GPU heatsink under the DVD drive hence why your new fan is working overtime.

When fitting additional fans to improve cooling I recommend:
  • Clearing the dust while your in there
  • Cleaning the stock fans but leaving them in
  • Wiring the additional fans to the same header in parallel
  • If running jtag/RGH dropping target temps in SMC 5oc
The end result being a slight increase in noise but overall a cooler running Xbox, Jaspers are safe if clear of dust but cant hurt. Being specific about the modification you have done and including pictures might yield better advice to suit your situation.