What's new

Solved RGH does not play CD's, but plays DVD's and Games?

• Thread starter Atlas
  • Start date
  • Views 196
A

Atlas

Local Rivethead
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
This is by far nothing super important. It is more for my own curiosity. I noticed my RGH does not read CD's anymore (I have XeXMenu on a disc for when I receive a new HDD and don't have FTP or any of that set up on a console).

Games and DVD's play just fine. I have been on the same dash for quite some time and haven't done anything besides install some TU's for a few games. Does the 360 essentially have multiple lasers and it just so happens that the one for CD's went bad?

S

Snowy

Let it snow
Reaction score
This is by far nothing super important. It is more for my own curiosity. I noticed my RGH does not read CD's anymore (I have XeXMenu on a disc for when I receive a new HDD and don't have FTP or any of that set up on a console).

Games and DVD's play just fine. I have been on the same dash for quite some time and haven't done anything besides install some TU's for a few games. Does the 360 essentially have multiple lasers and it just so happens that the one for CD's went bad?
I can't answer the laser question, but wouldn't a USB drive be easier?

T

TheWeekendModder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the 360 essentially have multiple lasers and it just so happens that the one for CD's went bad?

Yup, pretty much.

If you look at a 360 laser assembly closely you'll see two pots (potentiometer) on the assembly, they're actually labeled with a very tiny little "C" and "D" respectively.

vM5vJNo1VHHBZviX.standard

I'm not exactly sure why they're separate, or how exactly the lasers are different (or just have different power delivery methods?) but it could be possible your CD power settings are just low and could be adjusted - or that side of things could just be blown.

A

Atlas

Local Rivethead
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
I can't answer the laser question, but wouldn't a USB drive be easier?
That's what I ended up doing. Forgot I had one formatted so it was easy to just slap XeXMenu on there with Horizon.
Yup, pretty much.

If you look at a 360 laser assembly closely you'll see two pots (potentiometer) on the assembly, they're actually labeled with a very tiny little "C" and "D" respectively.

vM5vJNo1VHHBZviX.standard

I'm not exactly sure why they're separate, or how exactly the lasers are different (or just have different power delivery methods?) but it could be possible your CD power settings are just low and could be adjusted - or that side of things could just be blown.
Very interesting. I'm sure that is the issue then. Thanks for the info! (Fun side note, I'm pretty sure PS2 consoles have a similar assembly with 3 or four lasers each for the different types of discs that can be used in them).

Top Bottom