What's new

Solved RGH constantly freezing (can't even get xex menu installed)

Holy Mod

Holy Mod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I recently purchased a console off a reputable seller and, after plugging it in for the first time and testing, it immediately froze at the boot screen and I tried again. It allowed me to get to the dashboard and to the settings before oop.... it immediately froze again. I haven't been able to keep it on for more than 2 minutes without it freezing and I'm really not sure what's going on.

I contacted the seller and he is going to give me a return label so I can send it for repair, which is nice, but it took a month to ship out to me due to COVID delays, I'd really like to get it working without waiting for it to send back.

Any ideas? It's a jasper

RodWave

RodWave

CoD Hoster
10th Anniversary Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Tbh not a really big jtag person but for any problems with my RGH i used google I’d give search it and see if you find something that’ll help

danik2b

danik2b

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Send it back and let the seller deal with the issue, otherwise simply put the board is dying. I had a similar issue on a trinity motherboard, it kept freezing every few minutes, sometimes even at boot logo. I scrapped it and went with a new console. Not too sure what the issue is that causes the freezing, I guess maybe CPU or GPU is getting old? phats are pretty old consoles.

Holy Mod

Holy Mod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I fixed the console myself. I just learned how to open it and took it apart piece by piece until I discovered the disk drive was somehow causing it to freeze. Don't really need the disk drive so that solved that!

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I fixed the console myself. I just learned how to open it and took it apart piece by piece until I discovered the disk drive was somehow causing it to freeze. Don't really need the disk drive so that solved that!
Could be a problem with the DVD drives SATA cable or the drives "PCB" board

Holy Mod

Holy Mod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Could be a problem with the DVD drives SATA cable or the drives "PCB" board
I fiddled around with it some more. The disk drive is rarely the reason for the crash, but rather that plastic piece next to it if you know what I'm talking about.
Picture of plastic bit I'm talking about

This is actually 100% the reason it crashes, I've had the RGH on with the case off and that plastic bit off and it boots and works fine, the exact second that cylinder-shaped piece makes contact with the golden circle on the MOBO, it freezes.

Excuse my terminology, I have no idea what I'm doing with Xbox yet

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I fiddled around with it some more. The disk drive is rarely the reason for the crash, but rather that plastic piece next to it if you know what I'm talking about.

This is actually 100% the reason it crashes, I've had the RGH on with the case off and that plastic bit off and it boots and works fine, the exact second that cylinder-shaped piece makes contact with the golden circle on the MOBO, it freezes.

Could you upload some photos please (that Cylinder-shaped thing,i haven't a clue what part your meaning by that).Thanks buddy

danik2b

danik2b

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$

It's called a fan shroud, and if it's a phat console like the one you showed us, it will get red ring from overheating if you keep the shroud off, it can usually be fixed by putting the shroud back. The shroud isn't conductive so it shouldn't cause the console to freeze. It's something else, not the shroud, don't remove it.

Holy Mod

Holy Mod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's called a fan shroud, and if it's a phat console like the one you showed us, it will get red ring from overheating if you keep the shroud off, it can usually be fixed by putting the shroud back. The shroud isn't conductive so it shouldn't cause the console to freeze. It's something else, not the shroud, don't remove it.
Sorry haven't been on in awhile. I've had it out since I got the console, everything runs at 70 Celsius with more intense games, and at 30-45 Celsius idle. Still a bad idea? And as far as that not causing it then what do you think is? Literally the SECOND I put this fan shroud back on it instantly freezes. Whatever is causing this is very very closely related. Super frustrating

Thanks for your help. Guy I bought console from suggested moving around wires on the bottom of the motherboard

EDIT: When I get off work I'm gonna try to put the fan shroud back on but place the cpu_rst wire ABOVE the fan shroud. Maybe that's the issue
Post automatically merged:

Could you upload some photos please (that Cylinder-shaped thing,i haven't a clue what part your meaning by that).Thanks buddy
I'm at work so I can't get a pic now. Look at that pic I originally linked, the one with the black circle, look right outside the circle I drew along the wall of the case. That cylinder thing

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register