What's new

Unsolved RGH attempts glitch then RROD... possible borked Ace chip?

M

mushroomsyo

Reaction score
Console is a Corona V2 w/ a 16mb NAND

So I installed my Ace v4.1 chip, and my console powers on, and the green light on the Ace chip flashes as if it is attempting the glitch. Then the console RROD. Sometimes, if I unplug power and back in, the red light stays on. But if I leave it unplugged long enough, it will attempt to glitch again but then just end up back at RROD.

Some notes:
I have a postfix adapter, for I accidentally lifted the POST-OUT solder pad on the bottom of the board. I installed the post fix adapter, and to ensure it was installed correctly, I used a multimeter set to 200k ohms and tested between the POST OUT point on the adapter to the metal cage of the HDMI port, and got a reading of 22.1.

I re-flashed the original nand and unwired the Ace chip, and the console still booted to retail just fine.

I have tried 2 different Ace v4.1 chips, I had an extra laying around for a console that will be modded in the future. Both chips did not work for me and result in the same issue. Both chips were purchased from some random eBay seller months ago.

I have just ordered a new Ace v4 chip from Amazon, in hopes that it is just the chip that is faulty. I will try that on Monday when it arrives. But in the mean time, does any one have any tips? There is some flux residue, could that be causing the issue? I thought that flux was non-conductive.

I power the console on with the fan plugged in and sitting on the CPU with fresh dielectric grease. I don't put the x clamp on, it is being held on with just gravity, and the board propped up.

Attached is an IMGUR album with my install, and the wire diagram I used. Any help is beyond appreciated.

LxsneQP

Last edited:
x86

x86

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Console is a Corona V2 w/ a 16mb NAND]

Some notes:
I have a postfix adapter, for I accidentally lifted the POST-OUT solder pad on the bottom of the board.

^^That is the problem. You lifted a crucial pad that's required to glitch the console. 100 ace chips will not be able to work without post-out. You will need to repair the pad with trace repair work. Google it. Search and see if there is an alternative post-out point to use instead.

M

mushroomsyo

Reaction score
Your picture is broken man.
^^That is the problem. You lifted a crucial pad that's required to glitch the console. 100 ace chips will not be able to work without post-out. You will need to repair the pad with trace repair work. Google it. Search and see if there is an alternative post-out point to use instead.
Why can't I just use the post fix adapter? Doesn't that make a new post out essentially?

M

mushroomsyo

Reaction score
The
If the post fix adapter utilizes the post-out on the board then it's pointless if the pad is missing.
Post fix adapter doesn't use the post out on the board, a pin goes underneath the CPU and touches it on the BGA array to create a new post out

XeDevn

XeDevn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The

Post fix adapter doesn't use the post out on the board, a pin goes underneath the CPU and touches it on the BGA array to create a new post out
Correct. Honestly this looks like a mess. Your chip placement is giving me ocd lol. Not gonna cause the issue but I’d fix it. Your cpu rst wire is too long and possibly overlapping the other pads and shorting. You just need a little exposed wire. Just enough so you can fully submerge it into the point. That goes for every wire. Oh and USE MORE FLUX. Specifically on the ace and post fix. Again probably not causing the issue. Just annoys me seeing Hershey kiss “balls”. For reference this is what you should be aiming for.

M

mushroomsyo

Reaction score
Correct. Honestly this looks like a mess. Your chip placement is giving me ocd lol. Not gonna cause the issue but I’d fix it. Your cpu rst wire is too long and possibly overlapping the other pads and shorting. You just need a little exposed wire. Just enough so you can fully submerge it into the point. That goes for every wire. Oh and USE MORE FLUX. Specifically on the ace and post fix. Again probably not causing the issue. Just annoys me seeing Hershey kiss “balls”. For reference this is what you should be aiming for.

Do I need to clean the flux after? Can the flux cause shorting?

x86

x86

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updated pics... Here ya go boys

Just fixed the pictures, sorry about that man

I may see two bridges on the post fix adapter. At left of apu but next to the capacitors. Get rid of the blobs and make sure that solder doesnt touch other pads.

The wire that is soldered under the CPU. Remove it and trim it very short. Cut the end, roll the tiny wire strands together, cut it very short (size of the solder pad), and tin it lightly with solder. Touch the solder pad with flux and solder. Then lay the wire on top of the pad and touch it with iron briefly. The joint has to look shiny and not touch other pads or components. Use dab of hot glue close to the pad to secure the wire from pulling.