What's new

Tutorial RGH 3.0 Guide - Phat + Slim - Includes Quick Tool!

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Wanted to say thank you for this guide. I was able to successfully RGH3 my Jasper BB last night and the results are pretty amazing. I'd say instaboot every 5 out of 6 boots and the ones that aren't instaboot are < 10s.

That said, I wanted to suggest a few additions to the tutorial that might help people new to the scene. I'm on the opposite side of things in that I modded OG/360's in college, but back then the only thing for 360s was DVD drive firmware patches, so working with the NAND is new to me and the JRunner instructions is mainly where I found holes that slowed me down.

In the section describing the ECC Files. Specifically around "Drag and drop the ECC File containing your board revision name to J-Runner and press Flash NAND"
It would be helpful to briefly clarify the difference between the Corona vs Corona_4G and Jasper vs Jasper64. I.E., on the non big block NAND jaspers you end
up with a 16MB NAND dump and therefore need to start with "RGH3_Jasper_10mhz.bin" vs if you have a big block 256/512MB NAND Jasper and end up with a 64MB NAND
dump you need to start with the "RGH3_Jasper64_10mhz.bin"

In the section describing how to build the RGH2 NAND. Specifically after "Once the console boots into Xell Note down your CPU Key and Input this into the CPU Key section in J-Runner"
It would be helpful to correct this screenshot and instruct the reader to load their retail NAND backups in the Load Source and Load Extra slots + their CPU key. As it is written and shown via the screenshot, the reader is likely to try this with the ECC file like I did. After the fact this seems silly, but without really understanding what's going on for the first time it can happen.

For the screenshot following "Use J-Runner to write the newly made RGH3NAND File to your Xbox by dragging the RGH3NAND.bin file to J-Runner as shown below:"
Emphasis could be added that the final step is to press the button "Write Nand" and that you'll most likely have to tell Jrunner which console you're flashing again.

Thank you again
Lane
I'm due to update this guide soon, since J-Runner now has support for building RGH3 nands built in making this process lots easier. :smile:

I will leave the tool I created live though in case anyone ever wants to tinker in the future.

360_Funktionz

360_Funktionz

Reaction score
Sin$
I appreciate all the info everyone has put together and shared on this site. I've been lurking it a few times in the past gathering my info needed for the process. I've got a Jasper model that's been collecting dust for a second I'm going to attempt to RGH3 probably next weekend once I get my Jrunner clone in the mail, and diodes and resistors.

My question is on the resistors. I can see that this guide clearly recommends using the 10k ohm resistor. I was advised by someone on Reddit, that for a Jasper board i'd be better off going with the 22k ohm resistor. Is there any truth to this or should i stick with using the 10k ohm? Kinda leaning towards the 10k ohm, but I would love to hear more further advice on this.

Last edited:
xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I appreciate all the info everyone has put together and shared on this site. I've been lurking it a few times in the past gathering my info needed for the process. I've got a Jasper model that's been collecting dust for a second I'm going to attempt to RGH3 probably next weekend once I get my Jrunner clone in the mail, and diodes and resistors.

My question is on the resistors. I can see that this guide clearly recommends using the 10k ohm resistor. I was advised by someone on Reddit, that for a Jasper board i'd be better off going with the 22k ohm resistor. Is there any truth to this or should i stick with using the 10k ohm? Kinda leaning towards the 10k ohm, but I would love to hear more further advice on this.
10k at minimum, it provides enough protection from the results seen so far. 22k *might* help in the long term if that's your concern.

anatros

anatros

Reaction score
Sin$
xXBeefyDjXx xXBeefyDjXx im curious pll requires a resistor so why doesnt post require one? is it not adding any increased voltage to the cpu or is there no risk to it damaging anything?

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
xXBeefyDjXx xXBeefyDjXx im curious pll requires a resistor so why doesnt post require one? is it not adding any increased voltage to the cpu or is there no risk to it damaging anything?
Post is only a signal point, so it's not a risk

R

rstblz

Reaction score
Sin$
Works flawlessly on slim corona without using any resistors (1.8v gpio on corona)

different story on fat & trinity, safest way using logic level shifter due to different voltage betweem gpio(3.3v) to pll & post

simpler & cheaper using voltage divider formula
on trinity use two 3.3k resistor (3.3*((3.3/3.3+3.3)))= 1.6v
fat use 10k+5.1k resistor (3.3*(5.1/(10+5.1))) = 1.1v (pll bypass connected to 1.2v V_GPUCore)

on trinity make sure one resistor connected to any ground point & pll, other to smc pll, on fat 5.1k connected to ground & pll_bypass, 10k to smc pll.

SB got power from psu 5v rails, it rated 1A, different voltage causing more current draws by SB so PSU activated OCP (sudden power off). using only one resistor not enough to limit current.

Z

zpackrat

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for giving me something to tinker with! Just converted a Corona v4 from a muffin install that I did over a year ago with intentions of selling. Crap boot times though. This thing is instant now on 10 plus power cycles.
Now to do my personal Corona which is insta to 2 or 3 glitches and sometimes 10 glitches.
I will say the pll via is very small and you should plan to install the wire from the other end first, tin it, shape it, secure it with some tape or hot glue before soldering to the pll point. My old man eyes were strained, glad for cell phone cameras!

marcosbong

marcosbong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry, but for me attachments on first page are not working.
Is this thread on maintenance ?

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry, but for me attachments on first page are not working.
Is this thread on maintenance ?
Apologies, the thread is a little broken at the moment whilst I've been working on updating it.
Some dust bunnies have crashed the edit button on my guide but we're working on it.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, managed to fix it for now.
Please excuse the dust.
Had to temporarily remove the Console Disassembly parts and the links to the old RGH2-3 Converter tool are broken slightly.

I'll try to fix this later.

marcosbong

marcosbong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Please excuse the dust.
Had to temporarily remove the Console Disassembly parts and the links to the old RGH2-3 Converter tool are broken slightly.

Working fawlessly now for me. Thanks
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for giving me something to tinker with! Just converted a Corona v4 from a muffin install that I did over a year ago with intentions of selling. Crap boot times though. This thing is instant now on 10 plus power cycles.
Now to do my personal Corona which is insta to 2 or 3 glitches and sometimes 10 glitches.
I will say the pll via is very small and you should plan to install the wire from the other end first, tin it, shape it, secure it with some tape or hot glue before soldering to the pll point. My old man eyes were strained, glad for cell phone cameras!
Works flawlessly on slim corona without using any resistors (1.8v gpio on corona)

different story on fat & trinity, safest way using logic level shifter due to different voltage betweem gpio(3.3v) to pll & post

simpler & cheaper using voltage divider formula
on trinity use two 3.3k resistor (3.3*((3.3/3.3+3.3)))= 1.6v
fat use 10k+5.1k resistor (3.3*(5.1/(10+5.1))) = 1.1v (pll bypass connected to 1.2v V_GPUCore)

on trinity make sure one resistor connected to any ground point & pll, other to smc pll, on fat 5.1k connected to ground & pll_bypass, 10k to smc pll.

SB got power from psu 5v rails, it rated 1A, different voltage causing more current draws by SB so PSU activated OCP (sudden power off). using only one resistor not enough to limit current.
Did you test all theorical calculations ?
Because the goal is to make console boot as soon as possible and on every attempt.
I've got two Corona and one Trinity, all of them with 3k3 in line resistors and they boot every time with same boot time between them.

Last edited:
Conexant

Conexant

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello, friends, happy New Year. I am trying to do rgh3 on my Jasper 256mb console. I followed the tutorial carefully but when I did the step where I write Jasper_10mhz.bin file to the console, the console wouldn't power on at all (whether I press eject or power button). What did I do wrong?

I flashed retail nand back (drag and drop nand2 backup copy in "load source" box, then I checked "retail" on the right side of jrunner and then write nand.)
Console now powers on but its flashing three red lights and no picture on screen.

Just an update on my situation, thanks to H halfspec and his post I tried again but this time I flashed ECC Jasper64_10mhz.bin, turned the console on with eject button, it booted with solid green and tried to glitch but with no luck. Then I flashed Jasper64_27mhz.bin and tried again, console instabooted into Xell and I finally managed to get the cpu key!

Now I've created the updflash.bin file and loaded it into RGH2to3Tool but I don't know should I choose Jasper or Jasper+MU in the menu? What is the difference? (my console is 256mb Jasper)

Last edited:
H

halfspec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just an update on my situation, thanks to H halfspec and his post I tried again but this time I flashed ECC Jasper64_10mhz.bin, turned console on with eject button, it booted with solid green and tried to glitch but with no luck. Then I flashed Jasper64_27mhz.bin and tried again, console instabooted into Xell and I finally managed to get the cpu key!

Now I've created the updflash.bin file and loaded it into RGH2to3Tool but I don't know should I choose Jasper or Jasper+MU in the menu? What is the difference? (my console is 256mb Jasper)

I just selected "Jasper" in the RGH2to3Tool for my 512MB Jasper and it worked properly. I think MU stands for Memory Unit and while my Jasper does have memory unit slots on the front panel, they aren't occupied and I couldn't figure how they would be relative to the conversion.

Lane

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Just an update on my situation, thanks to H halfspec and his post I tried again but this time I flashed ECC Jasper64_10mhz.bin, turned the console on with eject button, it booted with solid green and tried to glitch but with no luck. Then I flashed Jasper64_27mhz.bin and tried again, console instabooted into Xell and I finally managed to get the cpu key!

I just selected "Jasper" in the RGH2to3Tool for my 512MB Jasper and it worked properly. I think MU stands for Memory Unit and while my Jasper does have memory unit slots on the front panel, they aren't occupied and I couldn't figure how they would be relative to the conversion.

Lane
Woah there soldiers...

MU does not mean Memory Unit as in the ones you put in the front.

If you have a console with a 16MB NAND (no memory shown in storage without HDD or cards inserted), it's a normal Jasper.

If you have a console with more than that (256 or 512MB for Phats, 4GB for slims), it has an Internal Memory Unit.
You should be selecting Jasper+MU If you have a 256 or 512MB console as J-Runner will tell you.

If you don't do that, the built in memory won't work!

marcosbong

marcosbong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Please excuse the dust.

By the way. Very good tutorial reconstruction.
In the begining, It was hard to follow, and a lot of investigation was needed, but now is really easy to understand and there's enough information to carry on with the mod in every console model.
Thanks a lot for your hard work, dude !!

H

halfspec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks xXBeefyDjXx xXBeefyDjXx
I certainly didn't mean to mislead Conexant Conexant or anyone else.
I was 99% sure I selected plain Jasper for my 512MB Jasper in the RGH2to3Tool but I must have been mistaken.

Lane

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks xXBeefyDjXx xXBeefyDjXx
I certainly didn't mean to mislead Conexant Conexant or anyone else.
I was 99% sure I selected plain Jasper for my 512MB Jasper in the RGH2to3Tool but I must have been mistaken.

Lane
It will still work regardless, it's just that you lose your MU storage and it's not quite the right way. B for effort lol at least you know now :smile:

Z

zpackrat

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Working fawlessly now for me. Thanks
Post automatically merged:

Did you test all theorical calculations ?
Because the goal is to make console boot as soon as possible and on every attempt.
I've got two Corona and one Trinity, all of them with 3k3 in line resistors and they boot every time with same boot time between them.
Might not have been clear enough, both systems after converting to this method boot instantly, repeatedly in comparison to a Winchester that I have. from actual power to ring pulsing/splash is about 4 seconds every time on both Coronas. one was Muffin/Matrix the other was std 1.2/Ace v3.
Used thin (30 AWC) blue Kynar wire on both with a 1k Ohm resistor on the smc_pll point.

Top Bottom
Login
Register