• Thread starter AzzidReign
  • Start date
  • Views 305
A

AzzidReign

Man with the plan
Administrator
Reaction score
Ever since my daughter played on my in laws NES Mini, she's wanted to play SMB. Right now, the controllers (Xbox One and Nvidia Shield controller) are too big for her hands so I figured "Why not just get the controllers meant for the games? That's how I started playing." I started looking up wired USB, wireless, and bluetooth connected controllers. Seems the reviews are all over the board with these things. I really wanted to get an N64 controller since it seems most of these games and emulators have a hard time with the rest of the remotes...UNLESS someone knows of a way to reprogram 007:Goldeneye to use the Xbox One controller without any issues. That's the one game that really ticks me off since looking and turning are on the joystick and moving forward are in the C buttons (iirc).

So...then I found this:

Right now, it's $44. Looks like it's been as low as $30 last December and $40 a couple months ago.

These have 6ft cables, so may have to buy an extension if they are going to play this on the main tv (where our Nvidia Shield TV is). With this kit, I have a controller for all the retro consoles I won (besides PS1).

I then came across these:

This goes for $35 currently.

From reading reviews and looking at some retrogaming subreddits, it seems this remote is compatible with most emulators without any issue. I like that it is small still and that I think it will work well for the kids, it is bluetooth so no wires will be tripped over or ripping the console off the shelf, and it can be connected to the phones or tablets. My only caveat with this one is it likely won't work with my N64 games.

The cool thing with this controller is that I could also bring it with me on my flights and have the kids playing games on my phone with this adapter:

This is going for $10.39 right now.

So with regard to the N64 games and the NES30 Pro controller, I have also found a bluetooth N64 controller:

Going for $47 including shipping right now.

So with the 2 bluetooth controllers, it's about $80, $90 if I want the phone adapter; compared to $44 for 5 wired controllers. I think I can even get the wired controllers to work on the phones via adapters but...I won't know for sure until I try.

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these remotes. I'm even thinking about just picking all of them up bc if anything, then they will have controllers that can work with 2 player games (who am I kidding, then I can play against the turds).

F

frostyDdopeman

Getting There
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have not messed with these but as a fairly new father, I was wondering how my son was going to eventually get his little hands wrapped around the Xbox remote, he's only 3 months old but already utterly obsessed with the controller - so much so that we've given him one of our decommissioned ones to play with.

Please let us know what you can figure out, I know I have a few years at least before I gotta worry about it. Lol

A

AzzidReign

Man with the plan
Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have not messed with these but as a fairly new father, I was wondering how my son was going to eventually get his little hands wrapped around the Xbox remote, he's only 3 months old but already utterly obsessed with the controller - so much so that we've given him one of our decommissioned ones to play with.

Please let us know what you can figure out, I know I have a few years at least before I gotta worry about it. Lol
Congrats on your son! My daughter is 4 and my son will be 2 in a couple months.

In excited about my set up which I'll probably be posting more about in the near future. Nvidia Shield TV, using Retroarch (looking into different options too) and I bought the 5 USB controllers I listed above. I'll let you know how those go but I do plan on getting that NES30 controller eventually to bring on planes (or just use like a handheld basically). I'm hoping the N64 works like it is suppose to as that has some of my favorite games in it. I don't have a huge rom collection, only the games I own (they are locked away somewhere lol I need to take a picture of them all bc my mom even saved almost all of the game boxes)

A

AzzidReign

Man with the plan
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I got my controllers in. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get to them tonight or have to wait until tomorrow as I'm trying to do some organization with my emulators and roms (it's been YEARS since I've gotten any emulators so I'm having to update them and I have my games and game saves across numerous hard drives so I'm working on getting them all organized in one place). Then I've gotta go through all the possible emulators for my Nvidia Shield TV, or just go with RetroArch.

My pretties:

I was able to hold and push the buttons on these controllers before I had left. I've had all these system (well, I had the Genesis, not the extra 3 buttons on that controller like how this one came) so I think I remember how each felt.
NES: I could have sworn it felt sturdier when I was younger, like a thicker plastic, a little heavier, and the buttons not as loose. Then again, it's been over 20 years since I've held one.
SNES: Same as the above.
Genesis/whatever system: Same as above PLUS the d-pad felt really wobbly.
N64: This felt better than I remember, probably due to the overuse ours had, the joysticks on all 3 controllers were always a little loose. This one felt great. The buttons felt just like the other systems, a little loose.
PS1: This one felt just like I remember.

The real test is going to be how they feel when playing as I probably won't notice the little movement the buttons have. If that's the case, I'm going to be super happy with this set. So I think I'll be testing these out tomorrow. I need everything organized before I can move forward...I'm done with it being all over the place.

Top Bottom