• Thread starter coyote soup
  • Start date
  • Views 466
coyote soup

coyote soup

b*tch assss
Reaction score
Sin$
A couple of weeks back I made a thread on a PC i'd built by partially salvaging components from a fairly cheapo tower. The tower I bought was a Fujitsu P420 and it was ideal because it came with a fairly mid-range processor, decent sized hard drive, good RAM and the cooler was half-decent. those pars are long gone now and I was left with a useless shell of a PC. I didn't want to waste it so i thought i'd keep it as a side-project.

A couple of weeks later I finally got around to planning what to do with it and instantly knew it wasn't worth spending any money on. Due to this PC housing a 4th Gen i3 previously the motherboard had a good socket type. I checked on Ebay and came across a G1820 for £15. last week I also bought a Graphics card for another project and the guy threw in two 4gb sticks of HyperX ram. and finally to replace the old hard drive I stole from it, I salvaged a 160GB laptop drive from an old notebook. fortunately I also kept the stock cooler from my personal rig since I never used it. After installing all the mish-mash of components i collected, the thing booted even with a bent socket pin.

Collecting the components was the boring part, but now I could start cutting this thing up. Airflow was a huge issue since the PC only came with one exhaust fan. I cut out 30% of the front of the PC to house a 120mm fan as an intake. Seen in the photos i also had to sacrifice the front jacks and USB ports. Looks ghetto but still a functional mod. Since I was adding more fans and stuff I needed to modify the PSU by adding some Molex connectors. I ran out of fan headers on my motherboard so this was necessary. I cut the Molex loom off a dead PSU I had and soldered it on to a SATA extension i didn't need. After a few more small/petty tweaks, the thing runs how I want it to. the next plans for this PC are to probably install a few optical drives and use it as a duplicator

Again, there's nothing to show off here, apart from my sub-standard electronic skills. the main purpose of this was to complete the previous thread and to show nothing was wasted in the process. I'd like to see other member's DIY rigs, IMO they're the best way to learn without blowing up your 1000$+ rig.

ml6qn7.jpg
professionally fabricated mounts
2ajak9d.jpg

29yionr.jpg

rs94kk.jpg

i1d2ww.jpg

Zero

Zero

Vox Populi Vox Dei
Retired
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I found it fairly funny when you put the unmolested build video in there :roflmao:

coyote soup

coyote soup

b*tch assss
Reaction score
Sin$
accidentally toasted the PSU and mobo last night, you'll be missed
rip

Top Bottom
Login
Register