Releasing Modding Info/Stuff to the Public

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Modding' started by TerminatioN, Nov 30, 2008 with 18 replies and 898 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerminatioN

TerminatioN AzzidReign loves GTA Retired

Ratings:
    Let me start off by saying there will be NO flaming in this thread. This is for a mature, legitimate discussion. If you've come here to flame GTFO.

Ok, so lets crack this open.

Firstly, let me go ahead and say that I respect and appreciate all the modders and research they have done and I appreciate that you have put a lot of time and money into it.

BUT I'm tired of all your *****ing. You claim your motives are aesthetic and yet you are extremely elitist and rarely ever share anything beyond the confines of your close knit group.

It just seems extremely selfish of you all. I mean how would it hurt you to just release things to the public? Yeah, you wouldn't be cool anymore because you wouldn't be one in a few who had it, but at least you would be respected adored by the entire community.

2. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    What's there to share with the public?

3. OP
    TerminatioN

Ratings:
    Lets start with a modded xex.

4. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    so you are saying we should bust our A**es and learn assembly and do ALL THE WORK FOR YOU, so you can sit on your butt and do nothing but take other peoples work? why dont you learn assembly language and do it yourself? Im sick of everyone whinning about this type of stuff, waaaahhh they wont give me their hard work that they did, im too lazy to do my own waaaah
    not only that, what people keep private is private for a reason, things that shouldnt be released arent
    it doesnt matter either, you dont have a dev kit so itd be pointless

5. sixworkss

sixworkss Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    I can understand why people withhold the programs they make..Maybe the program will affect many people negatively if released or even become a legal matter, or maybe they put so much time into what they made it wouldn't feel worth it to give it away for free..There is nothing saying they have to release anything publicly; they made it..they own the rights to it..And by the community calling them stingy and other names for not releasing something can also easily be said about the community such as it is to greedy or lazy to do something for themselves..

Also Eazy B's post in the other thread was extremely well said.

6. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Uhh, no, you're not getting the modded xex.

This is one of the few things that keeps just about every rich kid from buying a dev kit to mod Halo 3.

When someone does research, they take the time out of their day to pursue information. If 5 people did all of the research, then released it to the "public", it would just make every become a leech and nobody would be contributing at all. They would just be waiting for people to give them the information.

And honestly, I don't think you comprehend the power of CON. If people released the research they had about the CON container, the Xbox experience would literally start to deteriorate slowly, piracy would become widespread, and just become complete crap. Like DJ said, some things are kept private for a reason.

There is no such thing as Halo 3 modding community and there never was. It's that simple. There's a split between the people. There's the ones who actually decide to research something and then there's the one's that expect everything to be handed to them. It might not have been intentional, but it has happened.

It seems like someone has to be blamed because people don't want to take the time to research it themselves nowadays. Everybody has the same tools as each other available to them, it just depends on someone's motivation to take those tools and create something more from them. This is where the "groups" are formed and elitism arouses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    well this is just like asking, "hey military, can you release all your secrets to the world, making bombs, tools you have, etc and giving us the resources for them?" Please, go ask them that, see what they say.

8. ddxcb

ddxcb Contributor

Ratings:
    more the reason to releace the xex and other stuff :tongue:

9. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Dude very few of us even have it. Who cares if modders are elitists? It's always going to happen because we all know how bad it would be to release that stuff to the public. Trust me, it's not worth it AT ALL for modding info to be kept secret.

10. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    what reason? point them out? cause otherwise you made no sense

11. OP
    TerminatioN

Ratings:
    Firstly, I honestly could care less about modding, I just think its ****ing ridiculous what this modding community has become. For the most part all it is is self absorbed, egotistical, *******s who simply don't release anything so they can stay cool.

Secondly, I'm not saying EVERYTHING should be released. Obviously I don't want everyone to be able to hack their gamerscore or give themselves M$ points, or other outlandish things like that, but there is still a lot of other things out there that could be released without hurting anyone, and yet their still kept private. For instance, how to hack recon. Who the hell would that hurt? Its a ****ing armor permutation...

Next, how do you know I don't have a dev kit? What if I did? Would I be given a modded xex then? Doubt it. How can that possibly hurt anyone?

Finally I just want to point out what this world would be like if no one shared any of their research. Think about it. There would probably be no cures/vaccines for any diseases, we wouldn't have any technology, hell we wouldn't have much of anything. What is your response to that?

In conclusion, my main point is that you people are selfish. As I said in my last paragraph, everyone makes progress when people share, if we didn't we would be nowhere.

I tore his post to ****, but of course it got deleted because he's the diet mod and knows everything blah blah whatever. Refer to my responses to DJ's bs for some proof.

12. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    This whole approach almost seems communistic to me. His logic is that just because it has been made, it should be released, and everyone should have it.
    If the modded xex were released, every kid with 1000$ could go and buy up developer resources and mod h3. How cool is that? You obviously DONT understand what can come from CON, or you just are taking the same approach you take to other copyrighted materials, 'King of Warez'. Your argument here is that because it was made everyone should have it for free, that sounds a lot like piracy to me. Your idea works on paper, in being that if it were released everyone would do more, but they wouldnt. Just like communism, when everyone gets the same reward for unequal work, theres always someone who does NO work and reaps the rewards. Dont believe me? Take a look at CON resigners. These were stolen and released, and all those people who said they would do SO much more than H3 havent done jack **** but make stupid usermaps.

13. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    lol, I wish your other post didn't get deleted. You said:
    Bull****. The only reason that tool was released was because Derived released his source code and halomods needed something to save their site.
    You know that if Derived hadn't released his source and the resigners weren't leaked, the resigner would still be kept private.

14. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    I know what people like Detox told me, which is that there were plans for an eventual release of CON. They had to do the initial research and realize the ground they were trodding on, much like I said CON being a Pandora's box of XBL. Also take into account their statements that if an exploit was ever widespread and allowed for unsigned code, they would release modding tools for .map. If you want to go ahead and call Detox a liar, be my guest. But take the example of DEEHunter in mind. Halomods needed something to save their site? LOL. Keep in mind this is the only place that modding for all the halo series has been developed, and it has ALWAYS been respectful to microsoft in protecting their service.

15. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Since when could you hack Recon? Oh, no, never.

16. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    Also on this topic, the community has already shown their greed in the CON resigner incident. They couldn't wait and had to steal that, why do they deserve bigger things? You dont punch the birthday boy then ask for a piece of the cake.
    Those same people who said they were loyal, ran away from the developers as soon as they could get what they wanted.

17. XeNoN.7

XeNoN.7 Banned VIP

Ratings:
    How about you open up your eyes for a second?
    Which is why you're on this side of the argument, because you don't care what happens.

See I used to post stuff because I thought people would like to know what's going on. Now I don't because people like you came and said STOP SHOWING OFF.. So I keep my stuff to myself...

You couldn't use it anyways unless you had a devkit.. And in that case who would be the only people with devkits to care enough to use it? The fame whores that risk all the people on the service which is the reason MS started fighting back...

It can hurt people if they are irresponsible and endanger the people doing nothing bad on the server... Which is already what has happened thanks to kids like you who "don't care."

Jesus christ its a video game.. Not the end of your life..

Second we figured it out... We can do what WE want with OUR work. You want us to hand over what we did and you complain becuase we don't. How about the people who are complaining actually go out there and learn how to do stuff on their own like we did?... We didn't just figure all this stuff out of no where...

If its your discovery, you have ownership over your own work.. And we choose what's best for most, not what's best for all...

You know what? I loved sharing, and helping people, for the past 4 years. You know what it got me? Stealing, Hacking, Leaking, People impersonating me, people threatening me.

You can say your not some of those people... But it doesn't matter.. because I haven't stopped helping people who ask for help... I always help people whenever I can, but this is our research, and this affects people out of halo... Half of you already gave the halo community a bad name on sites like Xbox-Scene... Can you see why? Because most people here only care about themselves... not mattering if they need to steal, hack, etc. To get it.

I personally dedicated my time to learning how to program, how to mod, how to do all of this. And I helped people for years.. When one thing isn't released... Don't cry over it.. It's a video game..

Regardless you couldn't do anything with the XEX unless you had a devkit, and most of the people who want the FAME you speak of aren't us.. It's the people who want the XEX so they can show off like they thought/think we were/are..

• Like Like x 8
  18. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    Well no where in my post did I call Detox a liar, I was never told that tools would be released so I wouldn't know. And I don't know what the example of DEEHunter is lol, but if that is some type of blind threat over the internet, then I really feel bad for you.

Anyway, I don't feel like arguing with you, but maybe if you guys actually told people you were thinking about releasing the CON resigner, people wouldn't have tried to steal it.

19. Eazy B

Eazy B Getting There

Ratings:
    Before you start saying I did this in abuse of power, it was approved by Homer.
    Reason being that the purpose of the thread is to flame members.
    @nickcas when you called BS on my statement about CON plans being made, could be construed as calling detox a liar. DEEHunter was the last person to call detox a liar, and as you can find he was proven wrong and at this point has no credibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.