Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Reformatting Your HDD with Softmod installed
By ForrestMaster​

This tutorial will show you how to reformat your xbox HDD to be modded. This is a LAST resort. It will fix your xbox but it will remove everything on your HDD. Hope you have a backup :biggrin:

Requirements

Xbox info

Click on the Settings button on your Xbox Dash, press A.
msdash1.jpg

2) Scroll down to the System Info at the bottom of the next menu, press A.
msdash2.jpg

The System Info screen will give you all the information you need to know about your Xbox console including your kernel version and dashboard version.

K is Kernel
D is your dash.

Mine is 5838. You will need yours for this tutorial.

Opening your Xbox
1. Remove the four feet from the bottom of your xbox. Use the torxx screwdriver to remove the four screws. There are two more in the center, beneath the stickers. Take these out as well.
2. Take off the top cover. Use your torxx screwdriver to take out the two brass screws that are in the center holding the drive housing down.
3. Remove the section of casing with the harddrive in it.
4. Use the torxx screwdriver to take out the four screws holding the HD in place. (You don't have to do this, but it makes getting at the data cable much easier).
**Important** 5. Now to unlock the HDD unplug the IDE cable from the DVD drive. Now turn on your xbox and when you get Error 12 that means the HDD is unlocked and you did it right. Dont freak out about the Error 12. You can fix it by pluging back in the cable but dont do it yet.**Important**

Making the Iso
6. Now download the MS Backup from RapidShare and XboxHDM, PC NDURE installer in the requirements.
7. Once you have them both downloaded extract them to the same folder. You dont have to but it makes it easier.
1.png

8. Once you are done it should look like this.
8.png

9. Now open up the MS folder and copy all of the files in it.
3.png

10. Paste the files in the \xboxhdm_1.9\xboxhdm\linux\C folder.
4.png

11. Now open the ndure 3.0.exe. Click Next.
9.png

12. Set it up like so.
X Basic Files
X Retail Files
X Add ShadowC Its gay but it keeps you from getting banned from xbl
+ Kernel Specific Fonts
X 5838 (You would choose the number of your kernel that you found using System Info at the beginning of this tutorial)
X Default boot xonlinedash console (because I have Xbox LIVE)
+ UDDAE
X Add UDDAE
+ Select Kernel Specific ST.DB
X 5838 (You would choose the number of your kernel that you found using System Info at the beginning of this tutorial)

I personally do not like ShadowC but if you are gonna go on XBL then you will need it. If you ever want to bypass it then you can use this.
Bypassing Shadow C and Eeprom Backup
12.png

13. Now click next. Browse to the linux folder in your xboxhdm folder. Not the C folder. The folder containing it.
10.png

14. Click ok and it will start patching the files.
11.png

11. Go back to the xboxhdm folder and click the make-iso-win.bat
5.png

12. This will pop up.
6.png

13. This is your ISO file. Use some program to burn it to your disc.
7.png

Preparing your Computer

14. Make sure you have another computer with this tutorial up so you can see this tut.
15. Make it so that your other computer will boot from CD and then shut it down.
16. Unhook your IDE cable from your computer HDD and your xbox's IDE cable. Hook the computer IDE cable up to your xbox HDD.
17. Now turn on the computer with the XboxHDM cd in the drive. If you set it up right it will automatically load to this.
Tutorial002.jpg

18. Input 1 and hit enter.
Tutorial006.jpg

19. When its done loading type in xboxhd
Tutorial007.jpg

20. This loads up and type in yes.
Tutorial008.jpg

21. Then input 1 again.
Tutorial009.jpg

22. Input yes for all the questions.
Tutorial010.jpg

Tutorial013.jpg

Tutorial012.jpg

When it is done, poweroff your computer, plug the xbox IDE cable back into your xbox HDD. Then you can turn off your xbox. Turn it back on and now it is back modded. Your F drive is also enabled :smile:

Written entirely by ForrrestMaster.
Please give thanks if this helped you.

Last edited:
colincancer

colincancer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
sweet guide i hope it works...ill give it a try in a little while...ill let you know how it turns out

and once you burn the iso does it stay in the folder or should i take it out, or does it matter?
And i also read something about backing up your eeprom?

W

westman995

Reaction score
Sin$
Hmm.. Ok i had actually already did that to the 20 gig i want to put in there. I am assuming i have to do it all over again tho..

Do i have to make another cd? Do the same thing as last time but just add the eeprom into the cd before burning it?

W

westman995

Reaction score
Sin$
ForrrestMaster said:
Yeah. You need the eeprom to make the xbox accept the HDD.

Ok i still have the folder where i made the last cd. I think i remember having to like add stuff to it and what not. Could i just add the eeprom.bin and make the iso or do i have to redo the whole thing? It should have all the stuff from last time right?

The only thing i need to add extra is the eeprom.bin, nothing else? Cuz i see the bios.bin and that stuff too.

F

ForrrestMaster

Yeah, if you have done the softmod for free tut then all you need to do is put in your eeprom and make a new iso.

W

westman995

Reaction score
Sin$
ForrrestMaster said:
Yeah, if you have done the softmod for free tut then all you need to do is put in your eeprom and make a new iso.

Alright i am making the iso right now. Ill see how it works.

Also do you know how to install the xbox media center as an app or something? Ive enver used it so i dont know entirely what it is but i want it to play videos and stuff off the hard drive. I still want the unleashx and MSdash to stay if thats possible.

F

ForrrestMaster

Yeah. Just take the XBMC folder and put it in the apps folder. UnleashX will recognize it and show you it the next time you reboot.

W

westman995

Reaction score
Sin$
ForrrestMaster said:
Yeah. Just take the XBMC folder and put it in the apps folder. UnleashX will recognize it and show you it the next time you reboot.

Really?? I swear i did that and it wouldnt show up or anything haha. I wil try that again when i get the soft mod going again..

There are 3 folders, XBMC, _tools, and win32 and also some other text files in the xbox media center folder. Do i just copy the XBMC Folder or do i have to do anything else?

Also while im building the new hard drive for the xbox, the 20 gig. Is this going to install the MSdash too or do i have to add that myself through FTP ?

F

ForrrestMaster

It will install the Xploited dash with this tut. You can add the MSdash later if it doesnt work with my program.

As for XBMC, Go to the folder with the default.xbe in it. That is the folder that you need to FTP.

W

westman995

Reaction score
Sin$
ForrrestMaster said:
It will install the Xploited dash with this tut. You can add the MSdash later if it doesnt work with my program.

As for XBMC, Go to the folder with the default.xbe in it. That is the folder that you need to FTP.

OK thanks. I think the hard drive is alomst done installing and ill try it out. I hope the damn thing works haha. I think i did it right tho. Once its done installing and it says all done! and brings me back to the menu screen with build from scratch etc.. Am i done now? Nothing else to make it work on the xbox?

Nevermind haha i was too lazy to go look at the original post to see that i am done now. So i put it in the xbox and it gave me error 5, what does that mean? Do i need to hook it up to my pc and lock it or something?

W

westman995

Reaction score
Sin$
ForrrestMaster said:
Error 5 means it can not lock the HDD. So there is nothing you can do. :frown: Its not lockable.

Well that just sucks! haha.. I dont have any other IDE hard drives im not using right now.. So i gotta stick with the original for now..

F

ForrrestMaster

I use the original. It has all the space I need. I run UnleashX and the XDK on it and it still functions just fine.

F

ForrrestMaster

You should have an IDE cable on your CD drive on your comp. You could hotswap and manually install the modded files with Xplorer360

David5534

David5534

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
lol, don't listen to him he messed it up and got a bunch of errors =p.

Top Bottom
Login
Register