Reformatting Your HDD to Factory Default
This tutorial will show you how to reformat your Xbox HDD to be stock. You will be able to bring your Xbox from any dashboard error and back to the Microsoft dash. The way it was when it left the factory. This is a LAST resort. It will fix your Xbox but it will remove everything on your HDD. Hope you have a backup
- MS Dash 5960
- XboxHDM v1.9
- Cd burner
- A blank CD
- Torxx screwdrivers
- Another computer that you can open and boot from CD with.
Opening your Xbox1. Remove the four feet from the bottom of your Xbox. Use the torxx screwdriver to remove the four screws. There are two more in the center, beneath the stickers. Take these out as well.
2. Take off the top cover. Use your torxx screwdriver to take out the two brass screws that are in the center holding the drive housing down.
3. Remove the section of casing with the harddrive in it.
4. Use the torxx screwdriver to take out the four screws holding the HD in place. (You don't have to do this, but it makes getting at the data cable much easier).
5. Now to unlock the HDD unplug the IDE cable from the DVD drive. Now turn on your Xbox and when you get Error 12 that means the HDD is unlocked and you did it right. Don't freak out about the Error 12. You can fix it by plugging back in the cable but don't do it yet.
Making the Iso6. Now download the MS Backup and XboxHDM from the Requirements section
7. Once you have them both downloaded extract them to the same folder. You don't have to but it makes it easier.
8. Once you are done it should look like this.
9. Now open up the MS folder and copy all of the files in it.
10. Paste the files in the \xboxhdm_1.9\xboxhdm\linux\C folder.
11. That's all you need to do now. Go back to the xboxhdm folder and click the make-iso-win.bat
12. This will pop up.
13. This is your ISO file. Use some program to burn it to your disc.
Preparing your Computer14. Make sure you have another computer with this tutorial up so you can see this tut.
15. Make it so that your other computer will boot from CD and then shut it down.
16. Unhook your IDE cable from your computer HDD and your Xbox's IDE cable. Hook the computer IDE cable up to your Xbox HDD.
17. Now turn on the computer with the XboxHDM CD in the drive. If you set it up right it will automatically load to this.
18. Input 1 and hit enter.
19. When its done loading type in xboxhd
20. This loads up and type in yes.
21. Then input 1 again.
22. Input yes for all the questions.
When it is done, poweroff your computer, plug the Xbox IDE cable back into your Xbox HDD. Then you can turn off your Xbox. Turn it back on and now it is back to factory default.
Written entirely by ForrrestMaster.
Please give thanks if this helped you.
Last edited by a moderator: