Reformat Help

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by PistawL, Feb 5, 2010 with 6 replies and 92 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PistawL

PistawL Enthusiast

Ratings:
    We'll I just reformatted my computer and I have a couple of problems and I'm wondering how to fix them. I'm not sure of all the problems yet but the major ones are: my graphics card is not detected I believe. My computer is using VGASave, and there is also no sound for my computer. I am not sure what my graphics card or sound card is but if this helps my computer is a Dell Dimension 5100. If it doesn't help I can try to find out what my cards are.

If you need any other information just let me know.

2. Soviet Pro

Soviet Pro Enthusiast

Ratings:
    OK, a few simple solutions to this:

1. Install any drivers you were give when you got the PC
    2. Download this free software that identifies your 'Unknown Devices' and then download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.
    3. Go to My Computer>Right Click>Properties>Advanced>Devices, this shows up the whole list of your devices connected to you motherboard. The one that has a question mark next to it, will be the video/sound card.

Hope that helped. :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

3. OP
    PistawL

PistawL Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well the thing is I do not have any of the drivers that came with the computer. Which I'm guessing is the reason for this problem. I downloaded that program and got all the drivers it said but it still does not work.

4. TehPhelix

TehPhelix Retired Retired

Ratings:
    What OS System are you using. Go to start > control panel > add hardware. It will then search and choose already connected. It will then give you a list of software that is not functioning properly by showing a ! symbol. Click one that isn't working and it will search for the drivers online. Hopefully it will find them. If this does not work reply back and I will see if I can help more.

5. OP
    PistawL

PistawL Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Im using Windows XP. There are 5 different things with an ! beside them. They are:
    Radeon X600 Series, Radeon X600 Series Secondary, PCI Modem, Ethernet controller, and Ethernet controller again. I tried searching for it but nothing came up.

6. Soviet Pro

Soviet Pro Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well, did you download the drivers from the manufacturer's website?

:rolleyes:

7. Tyler

Tyler Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &

Ratings:
    Helpful tool to get: System Info for Windows.