• Thread starter ILikeMyNachos
  • Start date
  • Views 306
ILikeMyNachos

ILikeMyNachos

Reaction score
Sin$
Little back round information.
After I got my xbox banned, I bought an xbox off craigslist about two months ago and when I booted it up, I noticed it had froze. It froze a couple times. Finally it came through and I got it to work. I opened it up and re-applied the thermal paste and heatsinks and didn't have a problem with it until a month later when I got 3 red lights-0102 error code. I ended up doing the same thing. A few weeks after the second re-apply it started to freeze again. I did the same thing with the paste and heatsinks just to keep getting the 3 red lights-0102 error code. I decided it was time to do a reflow. I had heard that a friend reflowed his xbox with a hairdryer and stupidly, I tried that with a high performance hairdryer. Now, no matter what I do, I keep getting 0102 error.

I did a reflow with a hairdryer just to see if it would work. I do the thermal compound and the heatsinks again and boot it up. 3 red lights-0102 error code.

I heard that using a hairdryer can damage the xbox. I checked the chips and they seem fine on appearance.

I am going to go out and buy a heat gun. I was wondering if this xbox was still revivable or should I just get rid of it and not bother buying the heat gun?

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Little back round information.
After I got my xbox banned, I bought an xbox off craigslist about two months ago and when I booted it up, I noticed it had froze. It froze a couple times. Finally it came through and I got it to work. I opened it up and re-applied the thermal paste and heatsinks and didn't have a problem with it until a month later when I got 3 red lights-0102 error code. I ended up doing the same thing. A few weeks after the second re-apply it started to freeze again. I did the same thing with the paste and heatsinks just to keep getting the 3 red lights-0102 error code. I decided it was time to do a reflow. I had heard that a friend reflowed his xbox with a hairdryer and stupidly, I tried that with a high performance hairdryer. Now, no matter what I do, I keep getting 0102 error.

I did a reflow with a hairdryer just to see if it would work. I do the thermal compound and the heatsinks again and boot it up. 3 red lights-0102 error code.

I heard that using a hairdryer can damage the xbox. I checked the chips and they seem fine on appearance.

I am going to go out and buy a heat gun. I was wondering if this xbox was still revivable or should I just get rid of it and not bother buying the heat gun?
a hair dryer will get no where near the temperature thats needed to reflow an xbox. the heatgun method is better but will ultimately ruin your xbox. the only proper way to reflow an E74/0102 error is with a reflow machine that reflows the entire board with ease. unfortunately these machines cost a hefty chunk of change.

ILikeMyNachos

ILikeMyNachos

Reaction score
Sin$
a hair dryer will get no where near the temperature thats needed to reflow an xbox. the heatgun method is better but will ultimately ruin your xbox. the only proper way to reflow an E74/0102 error is with a reflow machine that reflows the entire board with ease. unfortunately these machines cost a hefty chunk of change.
I just went out and bought a 750f-1000f heatgun. How many reflows do you think the board will survive. Also, how long do you suspect the reflow will last for until I get 0102 again?

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
I just went out and bought a 750f-1000f heatgun. How many reflows do you think the board will survive. Also, how long do you suspect the reflow will last for until I get 0102 again?
dont do a reflow for more than 4mins or you will destroy the capictors on the board. that kind of temperature is well outside the heat rating for the capacitors. i would do no more than 1 heat gun reflow on the board, and it may only last 1 or 2 weeks, its different for every xbox.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
dont do a reflow for more than 4mins or you will destroy the capictors on the board. that kind of temperature is well outside the heat rating for the capacitors. i would do no more than 1 heat gun reflow on the board, and it may only last 1 or 2 weeks, its different for every xbox.
Pretty much this, just want to add: shield everything on the board except the GPU and CPU with thick aluminum foil and constantly move the heat gun so it doesn't sit in one spot. Most it will last you is a month.

Top Bottom
Login
Register